HMD 19 - Yoda's legacy continues

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: HMD 19 - Yoda's legacy continues

Post by cracked_ribs »

Cowbro wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:37 pm Thanks for the kind words. It looks better in pictures than it does in person, but what is that saying about "everyone is their own worst critic..."

Question for the masses:

Repainting the hull. I plan to repaint the hull as the current paint has a bunch of patchs/random paint, etc. The weather is going to be chilly for the next few months here. (60* during the day and down in the 30s at night. I can get the inside of the boat up to 80* no problem with a space heater and the boat cover, however i don't have a garage or shelter big enough to put the whole boat inside to paint.

My current plan is to primer the few bare spots on the hull and use the boat as is for now and then in the spring when the weather warms up, give the bottom side a nice thorough repaint. Thoughts?

I'd obviously love to have the boat looking 100% when it first gets splashed, but I also don't want to waste my time on a paintjob that isn't going to hold up.
This may vary by primer but the ones I've used all seemed a bit porous. If it were me, I'd prime and then cheapo-paint those spots just to seal them, expecting to sand back to primer in the spring.

Maybe some primers aren't like that, I don't know. But that's my experience so that's my solution!
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

cracked_ribs wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:33 pm This may vary by primer but the ones I've used all seemed a bit porous. If it were me, I'd prime and then cheapo-paint those spots just to seal them, expecting to sand back to primer in the spring.

Maybe some primers aren't like that, I don't know. But that's my experience so that's my solution!
Agreed, i would probably just put the same paint i am using on the topsides on it.

Some slow progress this week going through all the old parts and pieces that Yoda had for the boat. The steering cable was perfect, but the throttle and shifter cables were a few feet too short, so i ordered new ones. I am moving the batter trays up to the cabin, under the berth. Yoda had one on each side of the motorwell out back, but it appears that these boats tend to be stern heavy, so i am trying to get as much weight out of the stern and moved forward that i can. I am also going to just go with one battery. The engine can be manually started and will run with no battery, so i am not super worried about the redundancy of having a second battery. i can always add one down the road.

I have been able to figure out what ~99% of the things are that came with the boat, but i haven't the foggiest idea what these little parts are. They appear to be leveling feet of some sort...? Any ideas?

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

Update:

Essential electrical systems are all wired up. Battery is mounted up in the front, vhf, sonar/GPS, 12v outlet, running lights, anchor light and bilge pump are all good to go.

I fired up the engine on Saturday, once I cleaned out the fuel system it fired right up.

The list of essentials is getting smaller. The aim is to splash it the weekend of the 18th to test it out before finalizing all the little details.

Phil

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Impressive progress. Well done. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Agree with GB, very well done!!! Jeff

Doug N
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Doug N »

Exciting time for you. You're going to really enjoy the boat. Really like what you've done to it.

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

Saturday night picture update.

As mentioned previously, electrical system is "good enough" for now. all the basic systems are good to go including sonar/gps and VHF. I need to mount the transducer, and purchase an antenna for the VHF.
Hatches and rod holders screwed down
Non-skid going down. Note that i'm using the holes that were already in the frames to run the steering and electrical for now, the permanent locations will be right up tight to the underside of the gunnels so they are not visible.
I did the starboard side today, then once that has sufficiently dried to the point that i can walk on it, i'll do the other side (hopefully tomorrow).
Hatches with non-skid.

Tomorrow I may mess around with the windows a bit. i have a bunch of 1/4" plexi leftover from some Cubicle Covid shields at work. lol.

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

Incase you missed it. this boat got launched and I've been having way too much fun cruising around at 5mph. lol.

The first trip out was chilly with no windshield. So that was the next thing to take care of:

I saved the plywood cutouts when I made the windshield frames. i used them as templates for the windows and added 1" all around the edge. Then i trimmed the protective film back on one side and painted the perimeter black.
I applied 3m heavy duty double sided tape to the inside of the frame around as much of the window as I could.
Then i stuck the window on to the double sided tape. The outside is sealed up with black silicone, the inside is sealed up with white silicone. I am super happy with how they turned out.

I added about 130lbs of ballast (28ea red bricks in cheap duffel bags) up in the very front. It helped out a lot. I am trying to come up with a good way to make a 20+ gallon raw water ballast tank up front to help balance the boat.

Yoda had some side rails that came with the boat, but they weren't really ideal for the trailer/boat setup so i modified them in a way that helps, they are a little low, but guide the boat down way better than not having them.

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

A few more pictures. I also got the hand rails installed.

I am going to keep this thread for building updates and I'll keep the general boating pics in the "Finished Boat" section.

Cheers!

Phil

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

That's neat work on the windows. Did you cut them with a router?