Nola OD18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Nola OD18

Post by Fuzz »

Learning from those who have gone before you is the sign of a smart man :wink: One of the best things about this forum is folks showing things they did to make their build better and easier. And almost as important is folks showing their mistakes so others do not repeat them. You are doing a fine job with your dory, I just know it is going to be a good one.

Salty F17
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Salty F17 »

8) flipped
Attachments
20201202_134824.jpg
Check out my build----C17---- hit the link https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63575 ,OD18 build link Nola OD18 - Boat Builder Central - Builder Forums
viewtopic.php?t=65341

cape man

Post by cape man »

You aren't messing around!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Great progress Salty!!! Jeff

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Ok, so now I'm starting to be embarrassed to update my build thread :D . Do you plan to splash it before Christmas?
The boat looks great, really enjoying following your build.
Alan.

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

Your build looks great... and I love your spray rail idea.

I took my OD 18!for a spin the other day. ... it’s been a while ...

I hate to say this but I feel like much of the spray (on mine at least) comes over from further fwds than where you stopped your spray rail... I might be wrong but that was my impression thinking about it... I might be inclined to extend it further

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

TomTom wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:49 pm Your build looks great... and I love your spray rail idea.

I took my OD 18!for a spin the other day. ... it’s been a while ...

I hate to say this but I feel like much of the spray (on mine at least) comes over from further fwds than where you stopped your spray rail... I might be wrong but that was my impression thinking about it... I might be inclined to extend it further
I agree extend the rail fwd 3'. The OD can be a wet boat.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cape man

Post by cape man »

I have lots of pics of my OD18 running on plane, and pretty much the forward half is out of the water and she's running on the broad, flat pad in the rear. The spray on mine was right at the console and back, where the sides are pretty steep. Mine are shorter than yours and do the job. My comment was the opposite (and I kept it in, but now since the gallery is talking)...why didn't you take them all the way to the stern? The spray there should go back behind you under way at even a moderate speed, but it will miss the rails.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Salty F17
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Salty F17 »

cape man wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:35 pm I have lots of pics of my OD18 running on plane, and pretty much the forward half is out of the water and she's running on the broad, flat pad in the rear. The spray on mine was right at the console and back, where the sides are pretty steep. Mine are shorter than yours and do the job. My comment was the opposite (and I kept it in, but now since the gallery is talking)...why didn't you take them all the way to the stern? The spray there should go back behind you under way at even a moderate speed, but it will miss the rails.
To answer your ? About why I stop short of the stern it was just for the look it stops short 5 inches short of the stern i didn't think that spray that far back would make a big difference ,but as you already know your boat inspired my rail design after looking at your bout pic while its on a plane . ? I have for you is what size of trolling motor did you put on the bow
Attachments
20201204_170402.jpg
Check out my build----C17---- hit the link https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63575 ,OD18 build link Nola OD18 - Boat Builder Central - Builder Forums
viewtopic.php?t=65341

cape man

Post by cape man »

You are absolutely right about it not being an issue back there, and it does look good. Like I said, I only mentioned it after others suggested going further forward.
It was a 55lb thrust trolling motor. I rarely used it, and ended up giving it to an employee when it needed a new control module in the head. It's now on a 17' Key West skiff in northern California. It had just enough ass to move her around slowly while fishing a shoreline. I fished 3 different times out of Cocodrie with friends in their boats, and a trolling motor in the marsh creeks was the method we used.