Cameron's FS14LS+5%

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Cameron's FS14LS+5%

Post by bamaguy0 »

Thanks! The lines weeble wobble around a bit...Could have been prevented with a laser level, but it'll be mostly inconspicuous once flipped over.

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

That’s a really interesting move. I’ve been researching the epoxy/graphite subject and haven’t come across a narrow “keel guard” approach like that. If I recall, you also have full bottom coverage under the paint too, right?

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work!!! Jeff

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Mojosmantra wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:39 am That’s a really interesting move. I’ve been researching the epoxy/graphite subject and haven’t come across a narrow “keel guard” approach like that. If I recall, you also have full bottom coverage under the paint too, right?
Yeah the whole bottom is covered under the paint, but didn't want an entirely black bottom.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

First coat of primer on the console.

My buddy that has helped with flips has been out of pocket, so I convinced my wife to help with the flip. Things got a little hairy about halfway, but we were able to get her back over in one piece.

Onwards and upwards!

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Progress has been slow this week.

On the boat, I cut and installed 50% of the sole cleats. Mostly got all the easy ones out of the way before the ones along the Frames B and D that have no real reference for positioning. I made some chase tube supports, just need to get those bonded in place.

Most of the time spent this week was on the console and figuring out where all the holes needed to go. Cut it all out today. I still have the round one on the seat bottom to finish opening up to size.

Left side opening is a fire extinguisher cabinet. Right side is the throttle, the forward seat back is just an access to the inside for electrical connections. Seat bottom is fuel tank access and the back bottom is a hatch to access the fuze block and battery switch.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Looking good guy. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

That’s like a whole other project to figure out and keep you busy. It’s looking real good.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work bamaguy0!!! Jeff

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

No progress made Saturday as we entertained some of my wife's family from the Tampa area. Smoked some pork butts and a good time was had by all.

Last minute work trip had me fly out of town on Sunday afternoon and I got home late Monday night.

Amazon Prime day resulted in me ordering some NOCO Genius battery chargers. Got a 10 amp for my trolling motor battery and a 5 amp for the cranking battery. Will mount them close to their respective batteries with an AC plug in the console and a split cable on the inside routing to the two. With the split battery setup that's the best I could come up with. The chargers don't allow extensions on the 12V side due to temperature sensing capabilities unfortunately. It will require some additional chase tubes because the 1" pvc for my 12VDC wiring is too small to fit a 3 prong AC cord through. I think it's also good practice (probably ABYC requirement) to keep DC and AC power separate anyway. Added another hole in the console for that. Also finished taking the round tank access hole in the console to size. At this point there should be no more access holes added to the console.

I did a fit check with the tank in position and the console over it. I didn't account for the sole cleat on the forward side of Frame C. That made tank clearance inside the console very tight. I trimmed the cleat around the tank so that I can get it closer to the Frame and have a little more air space all around inside the console.

Problem 2 was noticed as well. I designed the width of the console slightly less than the stringer spacing width. That means my original plan of tee nuts in the sole for fastening down the console won't fly because I would need to place clearance notches in the stringers for the screws to run through. Doesn't seem wise. My current solution will be adhesive bonded studs on the bottom side of the sole. With a forstner bit I can make a shallow pocket, bond the stud in place flush with the bottom side and then use nuts on the top side to secure the console. I might get creative and use barrel nuts so it looks like screws still, but I need to check the stackup and see if that will work or not. Not a crazy problem to overcome, just requires specialty hardware. More to come on this. It's back of the mind at least for another week or so.

Main focus the rest of the week will be to get the chase tubes finalized and glued in place. From there I can finish the sole cleats. Hopefully by this weekend I can start work on the fuel tank mounts and the forward bulkhead/closeout for the tank opening in the sole.