Cameron's FS14LS+5%

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Cameron's FS14LS+5%

Post by bamaguy0 »

Work this week's evenings have been a little slow. Mostly focused on getting what I need for electricals figured out.

I did prime the aft locker area. I'll put first bilge paint coat on tomorrow.

And as far as forward locker wiring, here's kinda how it's started.

And how it's going.

It's a rats nest now, but I just stuck in tie plates and will begin tidying up, covering with cable sleeving, and tying up the wiring now.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Looking good. I learned the hard way that led lights require correct polarization and that the wire colors arent the most obvious. The nav lights were easy but I messed up the under deck lights.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

VT_Jeff wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:19 pm Looking good. I learned the hard way that led lights require correct polarization and that the wire colors arent the most obvious. The nav lights were easy but I messed up the under deck lights.
Ooops! Fortunately my under deck LED wires are color coded.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Finished the front deck wiring this week...well got it to a point where I couldn't do any more without moving on.

Here's a few more in process shots. Didn't take any final shots.

I fit checked some of my console electrical stuff to build the battery cables. Apparently my switch is a bit taller than I planned.

Nothing a Dremel can't overcome.

I bonded in starboard pieces for the battery tray, bilge pump, and livewell pump.

And I glued on the front deck.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Holy moly! All that hard work covered up, never to be seen again(ideally).

Congrats on a huge milestone Cameron!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

VT_Jeff wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:10 pm Holy moly! All that hard work covered up, never to be seen again(ideally).

Congrats on a huge milestone Cameron!
Thanks! That's the plan! :lol:

Next up is to do the same thing I did for the front deck hatches on the aft. Maybe it'll go just as smoothly!

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Work this week has been focused on the aft deck hatch gutters.

Bonding the deck to the hatch frame.

Initial route out of the gutter. I didn't predrill all the holes to remove material in advance. It still worked OK, but lots of chattering and dimming of the lights in the garage :lol: I think I would recommend predrilling in the future.

Some extra cleating for the motorwell.

Aft deck with the hatches in place. Just getting a visual for how it will look.

And like before, I made some smaller panels and nailed them down to the frame openings as an interior guide. Once removed they get cut down just smaller than the frame openings to be the doubler piece for the hatches.

This is after the gutters are taken to full depth. Note the motorwell bonded in place as well.

Had one little strip to glue back on between the center hatch and the motorwell. It should be wide enough for my hinges. We'll see. This is after rounding the outer edges over and knocking down the inner lip to a depth for the gasket.

All that's left is a little hand sanding and chip fills and I'm onto finishing out the locker area.

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Dang - looks like you got that all figured out and it looks great. I'm curious about the aft "cantilevered" hatch frames - are those simply serving the gutter function, or are they acting as deck support?

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

The gutter itself isn't cantilevered off any one thing as there is cleating supporting the hatch gutters where I've drawn in blue. That's how it's able to sit in place.

I am considering an additional deck support where I've drawn in green to ensure the point-ish loads of the poling platform feet have some nearby supports, but I haven't pulled the trigger just yet. It only really concerns me because of the way I glued the gutters back there. The aft lip of the side hatches are just butt bonded off the center common run with no support around. That is a cantilever, but the deck helps tie it together.

I've always been taught "When in doubt, make it stout." But I struggle with the balancing act of not weighing the boat down too much.
Last edited by bamaguy0 on Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

mostly curious about the areas in "red"...