Cameron's FS14LS+5%

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Cameron's FS14LS+5%

Post by bamaguy0 »

Finished out and painted it would just appear as channels in the deck like the photo of the Baycraft. Thought about closing it up and having them run all stealthy-like but I'm concerned with moisture and adhesive squeezeout blocking them up.

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

I think the gutters are a really nice idea. Don’t see why that wouldn’t work out well. You’ve gotten my wheels turning since this is something I haven’t addressed yet. And bravo on the sole. I imagine that making sure you cut all those holes in the right place was a bit of a pucker moment :D

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Mojosmantra wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:14 pm I think the gutters are a really nice idea. Don’t see why that wouldn’t work out well. You’ve gotten my wheels turning since this is something I haven’t addressed yet. And bravo on the sole. I imagine that making sure you cut all those holes in the right place was a bit of a pucker moment :D
Measure thrice!

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Been on vacation this week. Camping trip with my wife's family. They don't fish, so I bring a buddy of mine along. This year we were at Douglas Lake near Sevierville, TN. Being this close to the Smoky Mtns, I couldn't not go trout fishing. Gave my buddy a beginner premier on fly fishing and to the mountains we went.

My buddy was able to catch 3 rainbows. This being the biggest of them.

I struck out but was estatic seeing him catch something.

In other news...my wife and I are expecting our first child in Jan '22!
The pressure's on to finish the boat!

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Congrats Cameron! That’s awesome. And yes, you best finish up that boat - it’s a life changing event like no other. Mine just turned 14 and it flys by at a snails pace.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Mojosmantra wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:34 pm Congrats Cameron! That’s awesome. And yes, you best finish up that boat - it’s a life changing event like no other. Mine just turned 14 and it flys by at a snails pace.
x2 Boy is life going to change for you.l

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

X3 Cameron best wishes to you and your wife. Make sure you finish your boat before the young one comes. You won't have much time after. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Back to the grind this week. Unfortunately I'm mostly back in the office now for work, so I have an extra 30-45 minute commute to deal with that cuts into boat working time in the evenings.

Before my vacation I built the lip for the baitwell and glued it on. This is what will bond to the bottom side of the hatch once that's built.

This is what I wish I had done with my console flange.
First I did a layup of 2 layers of CSM to make the lip. Top and bottom layers were staggered in the corners to tie them together.

After this was done, I placed a sheet of plastic over it with a board and some weight to get it nice and flat.

After that, I pulled it free from the plastic and bonded the baitwell down to it. Then came back and tabbed it all together with some 4oz woven.

Once cured I had a mess to clean up on the inside.

At this point, I'm waiting on a couple more things to get to a point where I can apply a coat of quikfair to the inside and prime it. I dont plan on making the inside super perfect, but one pass of fairing to smooth out the roughness and then primer and bilge paint should be sufficient.

Work this week has been mostly on the forward locker area. First I wanted to close off the spaces outside the stringers in front of Frame B. I bonded on cleats at a slight angle so any water than gets inside will run down to the drain in the middle.

And I've foamed the cavities.

Next I'll clean up the foam and install panels over top. I'm thinking I'll just use some leftover 6mm ply since that won't really have to withstand much.

I also fabbed and epoxy coated a battery tray mount. That will go in the center just in front of Frame B. This is for my trolling motor battery.

I borrowed a benchtop planer from a buddy, so I'll start working on the hatch gutters this weekend. That's going to become the big project over the next few weeks I believe.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

bamaguy0 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:30 pm

In other news...my wife and I are expecting our first child in Jan '22!

The pressure's on to finish the boat!
Congrats on amazing news Cameron! Nothing like an impending birth to keep the pressure on!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Congratulations, that is great news!!! Jeff