Cameron's FS14LS+5%

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Cameron's FS14LS+5%

Post by bamaguy0 »

Didn't do much with the boat yesterday except I found a pretty good facebook deal on a 6ft Power Pole. Drove up to Dunnellon to get that. The pump is pretty old and rusty, but I was thinking about replacing with an electric actuator anyway...I've found some IP68 actuators that should drop right in. Doesn't seem like anyone has tried it though.

Trimmed up the foam and that was about it.

Today I start fit checking. Mostly making sure there's foam clearance for the butt blocks holding the sole together, then I went back and filled some areas that were a little thin. This has expended a full 2 gallon kit, but I will say that if I had been a little more strategic with my pours on Thursday night I probably wouldn't have wasted quite as much.

Epoxy coated the underside of the sole as well. I'll tap in the Carriage bolts after it sets for a little bit.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Man, you are on a roll! Riding that wave while its up!

All that plumbing seems like a ton of work, looks great though.

Smart move moving that frame forward. That's one of my regrets.

Where I needed to come up through the sole, I built a 4" high dam around it out of plywood and capped it so that standing water would not work directly on the through-sole joint. So far seems to work.

If you keep rolling at this rate what do you figure for a splash date, any goal in mind?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

VT_Jeff wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:31 pm Man, you are on a roll! Riding that wave while its up!

Where I needed to come up through the sole, I built a 4" high dam around it out of plywood and capped it so that standing water would not work directly on the through-sole joint. So far seems to work.

If you keep rolling at this rate what do you figure for a splash date, any goal in mind?
Thanks! I have to say your progress has helped fuel my efforts.

All of the tubing is within the console so I'm not super concerned, but I will build something up around them just in case after the sole is down. I might experiement a little.

My goal all along has been a year which would be late September. I don't think I'll be there because once the sole is done, I'll have hatches and stuff to do. I think that will slow me down because I'm not a very skilled woodworker and that needs to be precise to look good. At this point I'll be happy to be done by the end of the year. Not gonna say much just yet, but I have a hard stop in January with some other projects that are gonna start coming up before that. :help:

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

bamaguy0 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:47 pm
VT_Jeff wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:31 pm Man, you are on a roll! Riding that wave while its up!

Thanks! I have to say your progress has helped fuel my efforts.

All of the tubing is within the console so I'm not super concerned, but I will build something up around them just in case after the sole is down. I might experiement a little.

My goal all along has been a year which would be late September. I don't think I'll be there because once the sole is done, I'll have hatches and stuff to do. I think that will slow me down because I'm not a very skilled woodworker and that needs to be precise to look good. At this point I'll be happy to be done by the end of the year. Not gonna say much just yet, but I have a hard stop in January with some other projects that are gonna start coming up before that. :help:
Hope you get her done by your hard stop Cameron. Wish you had asked about cutting off your tubes most leave them up about 4-6 above the deck. Oh well to late now. Sounds like you are figuring a way to solve the problem. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Intent was about 1/2" above the deck, but I missed the mark a bit. I shall overcome!

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Floor is in and glassed! I taped the seams and then applied a layer of 4oz over the floor outside the bolts.

I have a deck idea I want some opinions on, so be on the lookout. I'll be posting a concept tonight.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Opinions solicited!

So I have been thinking about how I want to drain my hatches. I do not want to bother with tubing and draining each individual gutter somewhere. I have seen some boat designs with gutters built into the deck. I think I'd like to try to recreate that. Here's an example. This shows the foredeck area, but the aft does the same into the motor/splashwell.

The best idea I have this far is this. I have plenty of cedar that I will be using for the hatch gutters, I'll just add additional lengths to run to the aft end of Frame B in the front and to the splashwell in the aft. My deck becomes basically pieces between where the gutters run. I'll notch out Frames A and B for the gutters to run.

Thoughts?

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I like it! Does the KISS thing real well :D

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Me too!!! Jeff

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

I'm a fan of that as well. Are they going to be visible or invisible?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie