Cameron's FS14LS+5%

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Cameron's FS14LS+5%

Post by bamaguy0 »

Noticed today that Pettit recommends waiting 7 days after paint application before polishing or waxing to ensure full hardness of the paint.

Think I'll wait that before working on the keel guard. That means this weekend shifts to side projects. We'll see how far along I can get the center console and maybe look at starting the baitwell with some insulation foam.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

bamaguy0 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:48 pm Noticed today that Pettit recommends waiting 7 days after paint application before polishing or waxing to ensure full hardness of the paint.

Think I'll wait that before working on the keel guard. That means this weekend shifts to side projects. We'll see how far along I can get the center console and maybe look at starting the baitwell with some insulation foam.
Forced wait times can be great productivity inducers. But I would think you only need to scuff the area you're adding graphite to, is that not so?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Yeah, but covering that area with epoxy may not allow that area to properly outgas/evaporate all solvents. That would leave the area underneath perpetually soft.

Unintended material incompatibilities have been a big deal in my line of work, so I don't want to risk anything.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Side project. Paracord wrapping the steering wheel. I thought about grey to match the boat, but figured I could use this to add a bit of flair. Found this pattern that's very close to houndstooth. Being a Univ. of Alabama fan(and graduate), I had to have it!

Don't mind the cat toy in the background. :lol:

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

No pics, but made some progress today.

Trimmed out the flange on the console to final size. Should be getting close to putting a coat of primer on. We'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Started my baitwell. Cut out the pieces and glued the walls to the base. It's gonna come out to 5ish gallons. It's gonna go in the port side under the aft deck. Should be fine for a few shrimp or pinfish.

Well I got a splash of Acetone on the hull this weekend. I think my heart stopped a bit, but it did nothing to the paint. I think the paint is good and hard. I'll start laying out the keel guard tomorrow and plan for the first application on Monday evening.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

bamaguy0 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:42 am Side project. Paracord wrapping the steering wheel. I thought about grey to match the boat, but figured I could use this to add a bit of flair. Found this pattern that's very close to houndstooth. Being a Univ. of Alabama fan(and graduate), I had to have it!

Don't mind the cat toy in the background. :lol:
Dang guy can't you leave the man in peace? He has been long gone and buried. New regime has been doing a pretty darn good job. :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

bamaguy0 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:20 pm Yeah, but covering that area with epoxy may not allow that area to properly outgas/evaporate all solvents. That would leave the area underneath perpetually soft.
Ah, understood. That's smart thinking.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

First coat of the graphite/epoxy keel guard down. 2nd coat will cover everything exposed in this photo. 3rd will be about 4 inches wide.

Not the straighest of tape lines, but I didn't put a ton of effort into it. For what it is, I think it'll be fine.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Keel Guard application complete. Ready for the flip back rightside.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Cameron, that's a great idea and looks like flawless execution. Your bottom looks pretty perfect, great work. I suspect some future builders will be borrowing that concept.