Cameron's FS14LS+5%

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Cameron's FS14LS+5%

Post by bamaguy0 »

Don't think I made as much progress as my last update had hoped for, but it's progress nonetheless.

Worked out fuel tank mounts using some of the cedar strips my father and I cut out back at Thanksgiving, I don't have to do anything fancy but bond them level. Their thickness sets the tank just above the drain tube and the thickest part of the bond joint will be about .25". Made a hardware order this weekend, so that will be in Tuesday more than likely and I can get that installed.

Glued in most of the tubes for wiring and cabling. I ran out of the epoxy Friday so i had to wait on another kit to arrive today. Isn't Amazon wonderful?(Don't answer that) :)

I used West Systems G/Flex 655 as some internet research indicated it was one of the better options for adhesion to PVC. The tubes got a good 60 grit roughing followed by solvent wipe of Acetone. The instructions said you COULD flame treat, but wasn't necessary for PVC.

One of the other "problems" that I realized I created was I put a drain tube from the forward deck area under the sole to the aft, but didn't plan on a drain for the fuel tank cavity forward of Frame C. What I noticed was my Frame cutouts for the drain tube all were cut vertically after the hole was drilled so I had additional passages that could be utilized. I went a size up on PVC and then cut out about a 15 degree section.

Then I glued that piece over the tube running between Frames C and D. I ensured that the side passages remained clear when gluing down the original drain tube and then applied some epoxy down the spine of the tube as well. After placing the larger tube over the top I made generous fillets down each side. I plan on testing this sooner rather than later just to make sure it works as intended. I obviously don't expect to accumulate water around the fuel tank since it's covered by the console, but I didn't want to not have a plan for it either.

Did a little work on the livewell, although that's a tertiary task for now. I glassed the ouside seams and then bonded on the secondary floor for the drain area. From here I'll smooth out that transition a little more and then glass the inside.

Console work has been slow. Just filling pits and pinholes missed initally and smoothing out the transition on the flange. Hindsight being 20/20, I would have done something different for creating the flange on the console. I found what appears to be a better method that I will use for the livewell. Anyway, I should be ready for another coat of primer on the console tomorrow. We'll see if I'm pleased well enough after this last touch up of filler.

I feel like I'm in the home stretch of finishing out the sole area. I have the 2 AC cord tubes to glue in and then cement all the elbows and trim them to sole height. Gotta bond the tank mount down and close out the tank cavity. Some final cleat work, and then she'll be ready for foam I think.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Great progress!! Jeff

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Decent progress this week.

I glued all of the elbows in place. Realized I made a mistake with my steering and throttle cable tube. Originally I had planned on making 1.5" PVC, but realized I needed to step it up to 2" once I tried running the steering cable through. When I did that I did not add any additional length to the tube so the point where the elbow starts to come up thru the floor shifted aft. This was right where the back flange of the console sits.

I trimmed the elbow back to where it's basically a short straight extension then added another elbow to that. That seemed to have shifted it forward just enough.

Once my fuel tank mount hardware came in, I glued in the carriage bolts and then then next day bonded the mounts into the hull. I used some scrap rubrail pieces to maintain spacing and to keep them somewhat level to each other.

After that cured, I finished the mounts up with a coat of epoxy and a good fillet around the outside and then bonded in the tank compartment bulkhead.

I've made a checklist at this point to finish out the sole. If y'all notice anything missing let me know.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice progress!!! Jeff

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Progress from today:

Got all the elbows trimmed close to sole level. I planned for them to be a tad long and will trim down as needed once the sole is down. Remainder of the sole cleats are in and curing. Ill start working with the sole halves tomorrow and getting the cutouts located so it drops right in. You can see my reworked cable tube. I tried using a torch to heat it up and flex it down a bit, but the torch was a bit too hot. I abandoned that idea and will just roll with it.

Also glassed the inside of the live well.

Happy 4th!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice progress bamaguy0!!! Jeff

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Looking good Cameron.

I don’t have console and therefore haven’t had to deal with chase tubes penetrating the sole vertically. I’m sure it’s common practice, but I’m curious how you deal with potential water intrusion into the tubes if they are cut flush with the sole? Is the console itself designed to prevent that? If water does happen to get in - is there a way for it to get back out?

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Off work today, so I was hard at it. Made some great progress I think. I just need to foam the inside and join the sole together. I've heard/read that the foam works better in lower humidity, so that will likely wait at least until Elsa passes by. I'm not in the path, but I anticipate plenty of rain over the next few days. Low humidity and Florida summers don't go together, but I'll give it the best chance it's got.

Most of the work today involved getting the soles cut out with all the various and sundry holes for tubes and the fuel tank and console.

First was the chase tubes. The cable tube was a bugger as anticipated. Had to do some filing on the bottom side to get it to clear.

Here you can see both sides completed.

Next was the cutout for the fuel tank.

At this point I sat the console in place and marked it on the sole pieces. Also staged the aft deck for this photo. Just wanted to see how it all looked. I have to admit I got a little giddy at this point. Now remember the deck is long here, yet to be trimmed to Frame D.

After these pics, I drilled mounting holes into the console then sat it back down onto the sole. I used the same size bit to "punch" marks into the sole to identify hole locations to drill. Drilled those out, and from here will join the sole together. After the sole is joined, I'm going to install carriage bolts underneath the sole. The observant among you will notice a gap in the front. That gap is because I cut out the sole halves in the initial cut of pieces and later decided to move Frame B forward to give the console more room. I'll have to make a 3rd piece to fill that in.

I also glued in a "septum" for the console to isolate the fuel tank area from the rest of the console. The septum aligns with Frame C and will be sealed down to it to avoid any potiental vapors from migrating over to my electrical bits.
Last edited by bamaguy0 on Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Mojosmantra wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:52 pm Looking good Cameron.

I don’t have console and therefore haven’t had to deal with chase tubes penetrating the sole vertically. I’m sure it’s common practice, but I’m curious how you deal with potential water intrusion into the tubes if they are cut flush with the sole? Is the console itself designed to prevent that? If water does happen to get in - is there a way for it to get back out?
So my intention was that the tubes be slightly proud of the sole and I would run a fillet of glue around them, but as you can see in my latest update that didn't happen. I'm thinking I'll build up a small ring around each hole with epoxy. I might even have enough PVC left over in each size to glue one down. I plan to 4200 the console down to the sole so I would not expect water intrusion, but even then I plan to do something. They will not be flush.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

I got antsy and foamed tonight. Once I got in a rhythm it went pretty smoothly. I'd say it's probably 80%, but I wanted to stop and trim before going any further. That used up nearly an entire 2 gallon kit. I think I have about a half gallon left, so I want to be strategic in my next pours.

You'll notice a mess in the tank cavity...
I was originally going to make a closeout for the frame around the pipes, but then I thought...ya know the foam will fill that void and I can just epoxy it from the inside to really ensure it's sealed up. So I poured some in the corner and it expanded well into the cavity beyond what I expected. I scooped a lot of it up before it set, but will have to clean up a little bit more mechanically. That forward carriage bolt was entirely covered with foam. I at least got that cleaned up and useable. That was my only panic event with the foam so far.