Cameron's FS14LS+5%

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Cameron's FS14LS+5%

Post by bamaguy0 »

Photos!

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Lookin' good Cameron. Wondering why you chose to go with EZPoxy? Paint has been one of the most confusing things for me.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Looking good guy. The two part EZPoxy is supposed to be a good paint. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Mojosmantra wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:55 pm Lookin' good Cameron. Wondering why you chose to go with EZPoxy? Paint has been one of the most confusing things for me.
It started with a color choice that I couldn't find anywhere else. Ocean Blue and Seattle Grey. That was my plan for a while, so I bought Petit primer and brushing thinner when I was fairing. After I decided to change colors I figured it would just be easiest to stick with Petit since I already have some Petit brand materials. I could have went anywhere for Platinum(kingston grey in other brands).

The other reason I liked the idea of EZPoxy was the additive that you can get with it. It doesn't really make it a true 2 part polyurethane since it's not required, but seems to get it closer to that performance level.

Cost is another factor. I really wanted to use the EMC Quantum paint, but couldn't justify the significant cost increase. Maybe next time around when I'm more experienced.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

bamaguy0 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:30 pm Photos!
Well done on the rub rails, those really stack up nice, should give you some spray protection I would think. I may have some trailer envy as well. I wanted a sweet Alum trailer like that but cheap me said no way.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Brand new was 1220 out the door! I had similar sized Magic-Tilt galvanized quoted at like 1400. It was a no brainer for me. I had to go over 2 hours away to get it. Boat trailers are scarce in FL.

I will say I am not enthused about some of the welds or the wiring, but for the price I couldn't say no.

It's not that the welds are bad, but they made structural welds and then simply because there was a gap between the 2 channel pieces(diff size stock) they just filled it. I'm sure people who don't know any better asked for it, but what they don't realize is a glop of weld just to fill a gap like that will be more likely to crack than a simply functional one. :doh:

I'm considering rewiring the thing or at least wrapping the existing wiring with some chafing protection.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

On the EMC front... any idiot can make it look good by accident. That stuff is the “Pillsbury cinnamon roll” of paints. As a confirmed idiot I managed to get a solid finish by just following the directions. The times I tried to improve on the directions it went to hell-in-a-handbasket. If I ever get the nerve to paint the “big” boat I’ll wind up dropping the $$ on EMC again.

That said, once seen some stellar finish from Pettit and Interlux. I’m just too stupid to do those well.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Maybe I should have splurged then...A painter I am not.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

bamaguy0 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:12 am Brand new was 1220 out the door! I had similar sized Magic-Tilt galvanized quoted at like 1400. It was a no brainer for me. I had to go over 2 hours away to get it. Boat trailers are scarce in FL.

I will say I am not enthused about some of the welds or the wiring, but for the price I couldn't say no.

It's not that the welds are bad, but they made structural welds and then simply because there was a gap between the 2 channel pieces(diff size stock) they just filled it. I'm sure people who don't know any better asked for it, but what they don't realize is a glop of weld just to fill a gap like that will be more likely to crack than a simply functional one. :doh:

I'm considering rewiring the thing or at least wrapping the existing wiring with some chafing protection.

I like to rewire my trailers with outdoor extension cords, has worked well for my util trailer that has crossed the continent maybe 6- times.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

bamaguy0 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:12 am Brand new was 1220 out the door! I had similar sized Magic-Tilt galvanized quoted at like 1400. It was a no brainer for me. I had to go over 2 hours away to get it. Boat trailers are scarce in FL.

My galvanized karavan 1200# was $1500 and I was stoked to get it, they were getting very hard to find. They are not the commodity up here that they are down there.