Cameron's FS14LS+5%

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Cameron's FS14LS+5%

Post by VT_Jeff »

Mojosmantra wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:37 pm Also, since you and Jeff are also using the Boyd's fuel tank - wondering how you guys have resolved venting the tank? I went the same route as Jeff and ordered the off-the-self version where the filler cap will be inside the hatch. I had this set-up in a past boat, but the tank was near the transom and I ran the vent up the poling platform. Black hose on black post wasn't really noticeable. Not really an option with this build since I'm not planning on a poling platform and my tank will be forward of frame B. Running it to the side of the hull seems iffy with such a low shear. A last resort would be to run it up the grab bar - but that's not really an "overboard" location and I'm afraid would seem like an afterthought.
I sweated this for a while and did a lot of research and hemmed and hawed and then just vented it out the side near the tank. Non-siphoning vent, supposedly. No water separator either, definitely living dangerously.

It could theoretically suck water, but it's pretty unlikely.

Edit: I wont be going very far in rough water with this boat and smooth water should not be an issue. That's my thinking anyway.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Couple things accomplished today.

Rounded the stern rubrail corners. 3d printed router guides are definitely the way to go.

Worked on leveling the fiberglass flange of the console with a layer of chopped strand mat. Will have to apply more layers strategically to get it completely leveled out.

Flipped the hull over to begin paint prep work. Gonna put the nice sized radius under the rub rail, clean up a few epoxy runs, maybe another coat of graphite/epoxy, then primer and paint.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Summer is here in Central Florida! 90+ degrees. Sweaty PPE and short pot lifes abound! And once it cools off and the sun goes away the mosquitos show up. You just can't win.

Working on the fillet of the rubrail underside. Using PVC as a guide I just finished up with about a .75" radius. Once that's cured I'll give it a good sanding and then go to about an inch. It's the female end of a 1.5" conduit that I'm gonna use, so it's about 2.2".

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Just had the same thought. My build is under the house but otherwise exposed - mosquitos are starting to swarm in low light conditions. I think they’re fond of the epoxy smell. No-see-ums are starting in full force too. At least we have a nice breeze right now, but come June...

I was hoping to flip soon for paint, but I think I may have missed that opportunity.for the foreseeable future.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

I'm just the opposite from you guys, I'm just getting to where its warm enough to paint.

Cameron, are you dragging the pvc through the fillet to form the radius or using a long piece as an actual mold? I have to do the same task, but right side up.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Just dragging a short piece through.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Mojosmantra wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:23 pm Just had the same thought. My build is under the house but otherwise exposed - mosquitos are starting to swarm in low light conditions. I think they’re fond of the epoxy smell. No-see-ums are starting in full force too. At least we have a nice breeze right now, but come June...

I was hoping to flip soon for paint, but I think I may have missed that opportunity.for the foreseeable future.
Yeah I was telling my wife this evening that we're probably gonna need to get up at the buttcrack of dawn to do the painting. That way temps aren't too out of control. She's gonna roll and I'm gonna tip...at least that's what we're going to attempt.

I'm in my garage, but I have to stick the nose out a bit to get around the back side between the transom and work bench. I bought one of those garage door nets I aim to put up and maybe be able to work a little later. Haven't put it up yet though.

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Cameron/Jeff - my fuel tank arrives today and I have a question about how you are running your fuel line. I think we’re all placing the tank forward of frame B. Are you running your fuel line “high” or “low”? Meaning, are you running it “high” below the gunnel - or - “low” below the sole? If “high”, are you including anti-siphon and fuel demand valves? If “low”, I think there’s no question that you need the valves.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

I'm just forward of C and will be running under the floor. Have not worked out the valving/fittings yet. That will come after flipping back over after painting.

Looks like I definitely need anti-siphon, though.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Mojosmantra wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:43 am Cameron/Jeff - my fuel tank arrives today and I have a question about how you are running your fuel line. I think we’re all placing the tank forward of frame B. Are you running your fuel line “high” or “low”? Meaning, are you running it “high” below the gunnel - or - “low” below the sole? If “high”, are you including anti-siphon and fuel demand valves? If “low”, I think there’s no question that you need the valves.
I'm running high, no valves. Not sure what they are for but I'm all ears.