Cameron's FS14LS+5%

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Cameron's FS14LS+5%

Post by VT_Jeff »

Once again, great progress and great post! I just saw some of those transom-savers on a boat here at the marina, looking to do someth8ing similar for a permanent mount for my depth transducer, which is currently just clamped on.

Console size clear now, appreciate that. Your guest will appreciate the extra back support of that seat, mine is always bitching about the lack of support on the one I built.

Gutters look like they're coming along great, good luck on the routing!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Luck was with me tonight. I simulated what I had done with the holes on a scrap piece of cedar to get comfortable and off I went.

Here's before

And after

Still not done. I need to fabricate the hatch doublers, so what I'm going to do is cut them big to use as the template for routing the rest of the gutter and then I'll trim them to size for bonding on the inside of the hatches. After that I'll run a round nose bit thru the gutters to get it to final depth and form. This was just bulk removal.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Continuing with the hatch gutters, I made the inner guides for the hatch openings. I placed the hatch panels back in place and measured what it would take to get an inch in from the deck edge. This turned out to be about a .8" inset. I then traced the hatch panels on the plywood, inset .8 inches, made new lines, marked my corner radii and cut. It still wasn't right on the sides for some reason, but from that point I could set the templates in the hatch openings and just make marks and recut. No big deal, just took a little longer to get it right.

I then nailed them down in the corners and off I went!

And the result

At this point my bulk removal is done. I did have a couple chipped spots that I want to repair before going down the sides with the router because these defects would definitely propagate if I dont.

So they'll get an epoxy fill and a retrace with the router before I keep going down and into the bottom with a round nose bit.

Also got the aft floor in and curing. It feels good to be done with the foam. I'd rather fair a thousand hulls than sand that foam.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work bamaguy0!!! Jeff

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Lots of things happening! Massive post incoming!

Spent the weekend in Atlanta for the first Alabama game of the season. We also found out the gender of the baby, so we used that as an opportunity to reveal the gender.

Back home on Monday. Took the week off so I've been hard at it.

Glassed the rear floor in.

Continued work on the forward deck/hatch gutters...

Took the gutters to full depth with a round end bit.

Then I took the inner guides off to route the inside lip down a bit to make room for a gasket. That didn't go great, but it will work.

I did make a small booboo. No big deal, I filled it with epoxy and used a popsicle stick wrapped in clear tape to dam it up.

I rounded over the edges of the hatch gutters using a 1/8 bit. I think I want to go 1/4.

I put the rod tubes in the front.

I made the basic shape of the splashwell. I will glue this in after painting the aft locker area.

I made and glued in the standoffs to go around my thru floor tubes. It looks weird without the console.

But makes sense with the console in place. Ill just goop between them and the console once installed.

The aft deck has been racking my brain. Trying to come up with ways to support it. This is my first attempt to support the center section between the hatches.

It's not bonded to the rear cross support, just used that to keep it level. I'll trim that at the cross bar. I need to do some more reading up on how seaslug and VT_Jeff supported the aft deck. My tied together hatch gutters definitely complicates things. I really have to make sure this center section is supported because I'm installing a short seat pedestal there as a micro leaning post. More to come on this.

I'm close to calling the aft locker ready for prime and bilge paint. Going to start installing components for wiring the fore locker area as well.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

More incredible hatch work and documentation! You are really making me wish I added gutters, looks like "fun"!

I slotted aft frame for the deck supports to sit in. Bad idea. I think Reid showed where he just edge glued in the supports, said it's all that's needed.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Congrats guys!!! I am sure you can't wait for that little Alabama Girl!!!! Jeff

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

VT_Jeff wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:36 pm More incredible hatch work and documentation! You are really making me wish I added gutters, looks like "fun"!

I slotted aft frame for the deck supports to sit in. Bad idea. I think Reid showed where he just edge glued in the supports, said it's all that's needed.
I'll say that so far the hatch gutters have been one of the more easy and enjoyable jobs on this boat. At least to me. It's also been fun because I don't have a lot of wood working skill, so learning new tools and techniques is always fun for me.

Yeah I've edge glued the supports to the frame and sides so far. Layout is tough because I can't run one between the two side hatches and the center rear. I just had an idea as I'm typing this out though...I'll post more on it if I go that route. It has to do with making a "false" frame. Not sure I have enough plywood though.

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Cameron - that’s great progress and it looks really good. I’ve never used a “round” bit and am struggling to understand how you “guided” it. Can you share a little more on what bit you used and that methodology?

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Jeff wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:36 am Congrats guys!!! I am sure you can't wait for that little Alabama Girl!!!! Jeff
Thanks!