Cameron's FS14LS+5%

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Cameron's FS14LS+5%

Post by bamaguy0 »

Completed the sanding of the first Quikfair pass for the rubrail fillet. As I suspected it was about 90% good enough. Applied a little bit more in a few spots tonight and I think she'll be ready for primer tomorrow.

Decided to forego the extra graphite layer. I don't think it's gonna add much value and I'm gonna try to paint next weekend.

The shim on the console flange worked...ok. It wasn't quite thick enough in some areas so I'm going to have to backfill the gap. Ordered some syringes better suited for that than what I have. Once I do that I'll give it a good sanding and then apply a layer of 4oz woven to that bottom side and call it done and ready for fairing.

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Hey mojo here’s a 5/16 stem to 3/8 male npt
https://www.hydraulics-etc.com/205-106/ ... ey=205-106
Wow - thanks!

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Free idea of the day:

Cut the top of the seat off the console and replace it with a slightly oversized bright piece on hinges to give you some simple storage under there or at least access to whatever will live under there.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Yeah I gotta work out how to do that. That's where my fuel tank will live...walled off from the rest of the console of course. :D. Definitely want to have access there to maintain hoses and the level sender.

I also plan on working out an opening on the seat back as well to get to the back side of the instrument panel and whatnot. Probably should have angled it slightly, but I am where I am.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

1 coat of primer down. Should be able to get another one on this evening.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

2 coats of primer done. It's highlighted a couple spots in my rubrail fillet that may need a smear or so of Quikfair. I'll take care of that tomorrow and giver her a good sanding to smooth it out.

You'll notice some bits in the coat...I couldn't get all of the solids to remix. I think I used it last time without all the solids fully mixed and so now I have a surplus which would result in little chunks. No worries though because she's gonna get a good fairing sand. If I leave enough primer on for paint then we'll move right along, but if I end up needing to take most of it off we'll apply another coat afterwards.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Nice!

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Couple touchup areas of primer needed tomorrow and she'll be ready for color! I think I'm gonna target Tuesday evening for first coat. I have to admit I'm getting nervous. I really hope it turns out well.

I got FoamPro 1/8" nap foam rollers, some 3" wide badger hair brushes. I'm gonna go get a piece of glass so I can tune the amount of thinner. I think I'm doing everything I can to get it right.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Looks great so far, good luck for tue.

I'm working on deck painting myself, not one of my fortes.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

We have paint! Pretty happy with how it's looking so far. I forewent tipping because it was leaving streaks. Maybe it wasn't thin enough? I got excited and didnt test it on the glass piece I bought. Maybe I'll try that on coat 2. The 1/8 nap roller wasn't leaving many bubbles and it was leveling out pretty quickly so I just rolled with it. :lol:

Not glass smooth because I didn't sand the primer underneath to glass smooth. Was hoping the paint would fill that in a little bit. Thinking I'll do a 2nd coat, assess the slickness and then go from there. Either roll with it or give it a more aggressive sanding and apply another coat.

Paint du jour is Pettit EZPoxy Platinum color with Performance Enhancer.