Cameron's FS14LS+5%

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Cameron's FS14LS+5%

Post by bamaguy0 »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 3:22 pm I had similar issues with the POR15 primer I used on my C17. I haven't sanded it yet, but will when the weather warms up a bit. (It's late Autumn here).

For the record though I don't think anyone but you would ever notice a small amount of texture. Even mine, which is a substandard finish at present seems smooth and fair as soon as I step back for a photo.

On the inside I consider texture to be a feature, not a bug. Don't want sun glare on the eyes.
You're right and it was the same for me. From a distance you could see the reflection of other stuff in the garage even with the orange peel texture. I just had an expectation and I didn't want to compromise. I may have lost a few days, but I think it's worthwhile in the long haul.

That is a good point on the deck side, I probably should have gotten the semi-gloss white vs regular white, but I will be applying anti-skid texture to a large portion of the deck so I think that will knock the majority of the glare down. I know Pettit mentions a flattening agent you can add in their data sheets, but I can't seem to find anyone selling it anymore.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Scuffed the last layer up with 220. Removed paint in some places, some others not so much. Got the next coat of paint on. I have to say I'm really happy with how it's looking so far. There are a couple scratches still showing through, so we'll try to work on those before the next coat.

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

It’s looking great Cameron. No mosquitoes or gnats? That would be a triumph on it’s own.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

That does look amazing! be a shame to put that light under a bushel but I suspect the boat wont plane upside down......
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Mojosmantra wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:56 pm It’s looking great Cameron. No mosquitoes or gnats? That would be a triumph on it’s own.
I have had some very tiny ones unfortunately. I don't think they affect the outcome too much, though. The ones that have gotten stuck are so small they don't leave much of a spot and just wipe off once it's dried.
VT_Jeff wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:56 pm That does look amazing! be a shame to put that light under a bushel but I suspect the boat wont plane upside down......
:lol:

This last coat I did in a rush, so I have a couple runs on the edges, and didn't cover a couple holidays. Gonna clean the runs up and give it one final coat to call it done. First coat I didn't thin at all. This one I think I thinned too much. It definitely leveled even better with a little bit of thinner.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

I'm having the same issue with trying to get the right thinness. I probably need to start weighing like I do with epoxy, but it seems like the deeper down the can you get, the more thinner it needs. It's a real challenge.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Was out of town this weekend, so not much progress made. I did get all the runs sanded down and I think I'm ready for another coat. If it turns out well enough I expect it to be the final color coat.

With that in mind, I've been considering keel guard options. I was looking at the stick on variety, but they seem kinda bulky and then you still run the risk of it peeling off at some point.
Another one is the 3M stick on car bra material. It's about 8mils thick, so lower profile and even available in clear. Considering the locales that I plan on using this boat, I'm not sure that would be enough if I misjudge the depth over an oyster bed or decide to beach in a shell-rich area. I do think I'll be getting some of this material for the bow where the winch roller comes into contact. Seems like a good use there.
I've noticed on other forums that Line-X has been getting more popular as a keel guard option. They seem to have been able to get it a little smoother than what I'm used to in truck beds. I don't think I want to go that far, but I do have some graphite powder left over and could easily run a strip of graphite/epoxy down just the keel. I think this is my path forward barring any dissenting opinions that may come this week.

I do already have 3ish coats of graphite/epoxy under the paint, so maybe I'm a but too overly cautious, but I'd rather not scuff the paint if I can stand it. I was thinking 3 layers at a 2", 3", and 4" widths would be enough to build and step out so it's not too bulky.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Got a coat of paint on this afternoon.

Had one hiccup trying to fix a light area.

That being said, I think we're in the realm of "Better is the enemy of good enough." Barring any additional issues I find in the sunlight tomorrow, she's done. No more paint.

On to the keel guard. I'll let her dry thru tomorrow since I usually don't do much with her on Wednesdays due to other commitments and then start laying out the graphite masking on Thursday.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Looks really nice Cameron! I'd be extremely pleased.

On the graphite strip, how/where are you going to terminate it at the bow/stern ends? Seems like it has the potential to be a cool aesthetic feature as well as functional. I'm a sucker for functional ashtetics.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Plan will be to round it off just below the bow eye. We'll see if my tape cutting skills are on par with yours!