At last a build thread: CR16 skiff

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: At last a build thread: CR16 skiff

Post by Dan_Smullen »

cracked_ribs wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:21 pm No time for a proper update just this minute but I'm happy to see things looking like this:

As you should be! Get it done!

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Okay, bit more detailed update although in a sense not too much that can't be inferred from the above photo.

Decks are on all the way around. I put a bit of simple framing into the tops of the transom boxes just so I could use the leftover 1/4" meranti plywood without it flexing all over the place once there's downriggers mounted there. And also there's a bit of camber to the tops, so I needed some structure to support the curve. It's subtle but I think necessary to fit with the rest of the boat's lines.

So that led to this picture, which was the most satisfying one in quite a while:

But glory is fleeting. I went around and marked all the spots that needed a bit of fill between the decking and the rubrail. I did this by using a bit of masking tape so I could see everything really easily and pull the tape as I finished each spot, which is a handy way to keep track of stuff, think.

Having fixed the decking gaps, it was time to do a bit of routering:

That ought to hold a bit of rope.

Running out of stuff to build at this point, but might as well get some glass on the decks and coaming:

I guess today I'll go trim that all up, fix anything that needs to be fixed, and get the second set of outboard mount holes filled in and drilled.

What's left? I haven't put in the motorwell deck, I guess I could get that organized. That's probably the last item of any significant size. I'll do that this week and get her back on the water for more testing; I haven't gotten her wet since I did the outboard bracket and I'm looking forward to playing with motor height.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Great progress CR!

I just learned that Katy from LetterKenny is originally from LadySmith. If you see her around, tell her "hello" from me! 8)
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Yes, nice progress CR!! Jeff

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

VT_Jeff wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:54 pm Great progress CR!

I just learned that Katy from LetterKenny is originally from LadySmith. If you see her around, tell her "hello" from me! 8)
Oh that's funny - a friend of mine (actually the now somewhat legendary Craig Douglas, who travels the world teaching people to do exciting things) often tells people that Wayne is based on me, which is completely untrue but strangely plausible.

I heard the actress who plays Katy was previously a BC Lions cheerleader, which, if true, makes the BC Lions apparently the primary conduit of Ladysmith actresses to the big time. Pamela Anderson is from here - actually she lives just down the street from me, in a much nicer house right on the water, of course - and was discovered in the stands by a cameraman at a Lions game in '89. You see her around once in a while; she's super friendly. I haven't seen Robyn Mylett (Katy) around but then I didn't expect to see her, so I might just not have noticed. One thing about this place...it's so relaxed that it's not that uncommon for celebrities to come here precisely because they don't attract much attention.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

cracked_ribs wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:52 pm
...Wayne is based on me...
Let's take about 10-20% off of her there, ok buddy? :lol:

cracked_ribs wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:52 pm Pamela Anderson is from here - actually she lives just down the street from me
Perfect, you can tell her "Hello" also. 8) 8) 8)
cracked_ribs wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:52 pm ...so I might just not have noticed.
Somehow I suspect you would have noticed! If she doesn't standout in a crowd there, I may be moving there! Just need to clear it with the wife, somehow.......

Great stuff!

Edit; just remembered it's a stones-throw from Skook, Elaine will be fully down!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

I apologize for the lack of updates and poor quality ones when they happen - been extremely busy here. And most of what I've been doing doesn't photograph well: finishing the parts for the motorwell and transom boxes, for example. "Here's another coat of epoxy on this plywood square" isn't very captivating.

I've also been playing with the boat a little, and spending more time with the kid, which slows the build down. But I'm just about finished the actual construction, I expect to be screwing around with cosmetics for a long time.

Anyway here's the latest.

Hasn't given up much in the way of stability, at least.

Finally got around to finishing the coaming at the bow

And prepped for non-skid

and laid on the non-skid

at both ends

and ran a 5' 1/3 strand of 1" manila through the stem, wrapping it back on itself as I went, to give me something to hook onto

and spent more time running around. Getting the motor dialed in but so far everyone who's sent me a prop, sent the wrong one, which has been really annoying. Two different companies, both sent the one for the through-prop exhaust. Anyway I'm getting pretty close.

No cheating, anyone who knows me from outside a build thread...soon I will be asking for bets on the following question:

How much does she weigh, and how fast does she go?

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

700 lbs (hull only) and she'll get up to 27 mph.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

I admire your optimism!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin