At last a build thread: CR16 skiff

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: At last a build thread: CR16 skiff

Post by VT_Jeff »

Let's put what we know up on the corkboard:

1. An unexpected piece of hardware(UPH) is going on the boat
2. related to the UPH is a diesel flll plate
3. we'll assume that the fill plate is legit and implies an on-board diesel tank of some size, hence...
4. The UPH runs on diesel
5. The UPH is not a heater and is not the primary locomotive force on the boat, which is a gas outboard, the gas outboard that the boat is basically being built around.

6. If it's not a heater, it is probably an engine
7. If it's an engine, it's probaby a generator

Does his island place not have electricity? Is the plan to run an extension cord down to the boat to power the cottage? Is there some reason he doesn't want to just leave a generator on the island?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

JCW1982
New Poster
New Poster

Post by JCW1982 »

I've been following this build on the "other" site which is where I saw the tease.

I can't help but feel we're being bamboozled....but in the depths of my soul, I want to believe that we are witnessing a change of plans from a small O/B to a diesel I/O.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

He said he hates anything to do with diesel so I am going to go a different tack. I am guessing a place to step a mast through?

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Fuzz wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:17 pm He said he hates anything to do with diesel so I am going to go a different tack. I am guessing a place to step a mast through?
Oh now that's getting pretty close!

To be fair to diesel...if I could afford a big sportfish, I'd deal with the fumes. No disrespect intended to the mighty Cumminses and Caterpillars of the world.

This weekend I should be able to figure out where that deck fill is going. Then it'll all become clear! In fact this weekend should involve some big action, I think. Fingers crossed but I hope to splash the hull in a few days. The interior is not really any further than the last post shows, I'm just saturating all the bare wood to protect against indavertent rain or spray. But I would like to know where the waterline is going to be for bottom paint purposes. So Saturday she leaves the shed, I think, and hopefully gets dragged onto the trailer. Assuming I can still get the motor to run, I'll TRY to do a test run on Sunday.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Ok, om going back to my original guess if a gatling, it hits all the marks.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

lol...would be right up my alley, no doubt about it

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

http://imgur.com/a/bblBnJG

Apparently I can't Imgur on mobile.

Probably no time for a real update until mittwoch but for a half-finished boat she's doing all right.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Okay, busy as usual but let me try to burn through a quick outline of the last week.
Carb somehow ended up being out of adjustment – throttle plates too closed at idle. This took me a really long time to figure out. I chased all kinds of stuff for about a day before realizing the gas was pooling in the carb at startup, so it would get nothing until some critical mass was hit, then it would dump in and flood. Anyway I got that figured out eventually and now the engine is running. These old motors are crank HP, not shaft, so this thing only puts out around 16-17 hp. I wasn’t sure if it would even plane the skiff on whatever prop it’s got, but anyway I wanted to mark the waterline with a simulated standard complete empty state, so I dragged her out of the shop, put a couple hundred pounds of plates in her, hung the motor, and took her to the ramp.

Hmm…probably have to change that trim pin position! But at least she floats.

And sits on her lines as designed, that’s nice.

So naturally I duct taped a jiffy marker to a piece of scrap plywood, because what else would you do?

I floated the plywood around the boat and marked the waterline. I didn’t get any photos of that but it just looked like a combination of the plywood pic and any of the other above pics so just use your imagination.

Here’s a bigger question though: will a 17 foot skiff plane with 16ish HP? And if so at what speed? And will the prop be at roughly the right height? I cut the transom to 20” but these old Johnsons are a bit random – this one has something like an 18” leg.

Answer: yes indeed! Transom is fully dry at 6 knots. Goofy trim and random prop and 16ish HP got 9 knots – I should be able to increase that a fair bit. Particularly if my friend who’s been promising to send me the god damn intake and carb from a 30 for the last 7 months actually puts that stuff in the mail. Otherwise I’m flying to Ontario and strangling him in front of his dog.
There’s no transition at all on the way to planing. It just increases in speed and then the transom gets dry.

Plenty stable. Traces of wasted, miscreant youth still visible on middle aged gut.

I took the above pic while sitting on the gunwale right at the forward bulkhead. You can see it hardly lists even with my 220 pounds way out on the rail, well forward of the shallow planing surface. A few people warned me it would be really unstable with off-centre weight towards the bow because the entry is so sharp and carries back a fair way. No, it’s fine.

So I relaxed for a while, then came home and took the family to the beach for Father’s Day.

Finally I cleaned out the garage which took hours, and measured the boat on the trailer about five times before attempting this:

And that about does it for Father’s Day weekend.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

cracked_ribs wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:36 am Carb somehow ended up being out of adjustment – throttle plates too closed at idle.
I know on my small outboard there is a separate idle circuit which frequently gets clogged. The throttle plate will be closed at idle and the fuel will flow through this other, b-string sized hole.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

How the be-geepers were you able to mark that waterline in a working waterway, did you just get lucky and there was no traffic or is the waterline a little wavy? I guess wavy would not be an issue as you can just shoot your line through the centers of any waves. Or maybe it doesn't matter because the boat and your marker both rise and fall together? Nice work, in any case. Great fit in the garage, I have a similar squeeze with my RV, where the door presses gently on the front license plate when it's closed. Total luck.

Boats looking great, what's your target "Done or Done-with-it" date?