At last a build thread: CR16 skiff

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: At last a build thread: CR16 skiff

Post by VT_Jeff »

cracked_ribs wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:39 pm Pretty busy today - the wife sold a couple of bikinis (she designs them and makes one-offs for people who want her specific stuff) and it's a big enough pain to go to the post office right now that I figured I'd better do it. They only let a few people in at a time so there's a big lineup outside and it's better for me to do that and her to stay at home with the kid so that ate most of my time after work.

But what I did manage to do was get the stem cut out; this'll get blended into the hull down at the cutwater and give her a pretty classic profile, I think. It's two layers of 1/2" ply, staggered for a half-lap joint where it'll join the keel. It'll make her more prone to bow steer in following seas but I'm not very worried about it; this boat will probably never see water I'd consider especially rough and if we get caught out I'll just slow down a bit and cork along.

Good on ya for helping the wife out, happy wife happy life. Can you not print a label at home and have ups pick it up?

Nicely done on the stem, that will be a stare generator for sure!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

? Maybe something like this? :lol:

Hank

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

VT_Jeff wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:36 am
Good on ya for helping the wife out, happy wife happy life. Can you not print a label at home and have ups pick it up?

Nicely done on the stem, that will be a stare generator for sure!
I guess it probably could be done that way (and likely more efficiently) but in general I don't get too involved with what she's doing, except in an editorial sense: I have been kind enough to give my thoughts on what bikinis look best and even volunteered my labour to oversee the wearing and photographing of her designs which just goes to show how generous I am with my time. But her simple approach to shipping works for her (she doesn't really have to send that many, it's not a huge operation) so I just help with the occasional drop off or pick up of something.

Hopefully the stares it generates aren't from people asking "why is that guy coming back into the harbour backwards again?" but I'll try to offset the bow steering with a keel. I'm hoping it'll help to make the otherwise very shallow V more comfortably in the short chop of the bays and islands here, but I guess we'll see.
pee wee wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:50 am ? Maybe something like this? :lol:

Don't tempt me...I have been threatening for years to do an Oughtred-style clinker ply mini-longboat, and enter it into the Race to Alaska. That could be the next build.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

cracked_ribs wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:50 am I have been kind enough to give my thoughts on what bikinis look best and even volunteered my labour to oversee the wearing and photographing of her designs which just goes to show how generous I am with my time.
Quite the humanitarian! :lol:
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

As I focus more on the large editing job I have on the go, I'm getting a bit strapped for time and so the updates are less frequent but work on the boat continues.

I have glassed everything on the exterior of the boat, and filled the weave with a wood flour mix. It won't be sanded down much at all; a scuff at most so the strength of the wood flour mix is more important than the shapeability at this stage.

Today I laminated the stem, and ripped the spray rails and keel. Here's the stem gluing up:

The clamps are just snugged, not cranked way down. Just enough to get epoxy all around the edges. Next: ripping the trim bits.
Ripping long sections of wood accurately is really simple if you have a table saw...which I don't.

I drew a line down the centre of this Douglas Fir 1x3 and cut it with my Hitachi worm drive, which, again, I love.

It's not actually that hard to rip stuff by hand if you're careful. I used up most of my carefulness on not stepping into the whirling macerator of death next to my shins but I still managed to cut a decent line on the keel, which is pretty good since I decided to crank up my productivity by drinking a tall can of vodka-infused energy drink.

That'll make a nice keel. I think I'll probably glue a strip of UHMW or HDPE to it or something because it'll get grounded out at my island place all the time.

The other thing I did was clean up a couple of spots where the curvature of the bottom was extreme enough that it formed a couple of minor depressions. They weren't severe but the lighting in there hit them at a shallow angle so I was always looking at them and it bugged me, but more importantly I lay a straight edge parallel to the keel and slid it down the side, looking to see if the water would take a goofy path going over those spots and there was about a 1/4" dip. I laid down about an eighth of an inch of peanut butter, then some scrap 4 or 6 ounce weave overtop and saturated the glass. I'll probably have to do one more layer of peanut butter and I might cover that in a bit more weave as well, but then I should have smoothed the transitions right out.

Mostly fixed:

The only other picture I have for you today is this: I put the stem in place and took a picture and rotated it so I could get a better sense of the lines. I think that'll do pretty well.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

I should have taken more pictures today, but I didn't, so here's a list of what I got done instead.

1) scarfed the spray rails
2) scarfed the keel
3) turned a couple of 1x3s into what will be reverse chines
4) ground the glass off at the sheerline

All the pictures I took were from the process of ripping the 1x3s. I also took a jigsaw to them every 4" on the stern 8', and every 1" forward of that so I could get them to bend smoothly to the curvature of the chine.

They're just test fitted, they're not actually gluing down yet. Still, I'm slowly moving forward and that's the main thing. Not sure how much time I'll have in the leadup to Christmas and then after that we're heading to our island place for a bit of vacation so could be a week or two without much progress, but I hope to be fairing in January.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

You have an "Island place" but not a table saw? I'd say your priorities are spot on, well done!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I agree, well done!!! Jeff

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Thanks guys - yeah, up until a couple of years ago my primary residence was an apartment in Vancouver, BC. I bought a place on an unserviced island for a getaway; it's perched up on a cliff, no electricity or running water, just a timber frame cabin and acres of forest and beaches. It's very quiet I lived there for most of last year and commuted to work by boat. Now I have a house on Vancouver Island that's my primary residence but I'm still building back the shop I had to give up when I moved into the apartment about ten years ago.

So island place yes; normal stuff like a proper bed or a tablesaw, no.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

"just a timber frame cabin and acres of forest and beaches. " around vancouver island sounds pretty damned nice. We're hoping to get the RV back up to Skookumchuck one of these days(years?) so my wife can kayak-surf the wave. Fell in love with that area on the last trip a few years back, and that was before we got back into fishing!