At last a build thread: CR16 skiff

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: At last a build thread: CR16 skiff

Post by Jeff »

Great stuff and congrats cracked_ribs!!! Really well done!! Jeff

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Thanks guys - I'll check on the idle circuit but I THINK this carb is low speed-high speed only, with the jets for both ahead of the throttle plate. It's pretty primitive.

That boat launch is about the calmest, easiest launch I have ever seen. I just slid off to the outside of the north ramp which is unusable at low tide, and the pier blocked the small wakes from local traffic.

But the bottom paint will come up an inch past the mark so I wasn't super concerned, anyway. I'd have taken it somewhere calmer if I had to nail it. But it's pretty close.

I've been so busy I haven't really been following any other builds so I see your FS is in need of a reg number...here we see the fundamental irresponsibility of my approach to life on display.

No reg number? No problem. I actually ran into the DFO inspector on the way out but she just said "oh, new boat!" And I just waved and gave the thumbs up.

https://youtu.be/L397TWLwrUU
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Oh, and completion date...well, REALLY done will probably not be until next spring. There's a whole other layer of complication coming: a removable cabin, which I'll do in extra-light foam sandwich over the winter.

But I figure it'll be done enough to use regularly...maybe a month? I'd like to get the sole glassed down and the side decks in, and the forward hatch/seat finished. But it's all just little stuff now. It'll stiffen up as I keep adding components but I don't see gentle use being an issue at all. I just have nowhere to mount downriggers or put rodholders for the time being. And in theory I guess the transom is vulnerable to a boarding wave until the splashwell is done, but the thing is a cork. It's not likely to take much over the transom.

I'll slow down the pace over the summer, I think. I get really task-fixated and it's hard to stop doing stuff. Yesterday I started my work day at 5 so I could be done by 1:30, then I cleaned the garage from 2-6, had dinner, then worked on the boat again from 7 until 9. I get like that if I don't watch it and then I realize I've hardly seen my kid all day. It's not how I want to spend the summer. So I've been in race mode to get her in the water a bit, but now I have to force myself to slow down. Being able to take her out will help. I might start going fishing on her in the evening a couple of times a week or something.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

The transom and the whole boat look great. Congrats on the successful launch! I’m dumbfounded by the speed at which you progress!

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Well, it helps when you accept mediocre quality and rough work.

I have a bit of a "rough it in now, dial it in later" approach. I like to do stuff that way because then I can spend the winter dicking around with fiddly stuff when I don't want to be out on the boat, but in the summer I can put work on hold and go play.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Okay, quick update, not a ton of time to write as I have been taking a lot of time off work to enjoy the summer, and am now way behind on everything, of course.

Bilge painted in preparation for gluing down the sole:

Mystery block all laminated up:

And glued into place:

Naturally, like an idiot, I got fixated on the painting process and forgot to leave a spot open for the mystery block. You can't glue to paint for reasons that I assume are obvious to everyone - or, you can, I guess, if you're happy with a bond no stronger than whatever the paint has. That's not very useful so of course I had to sand back to glass in this spot to glue down the mystery block.

Here's the sole gluing down:

Getting taped into place:

Man, wetting out glass in the summer is dead easy! That 12oz tape just soaks it up and turns invisible on the spot.

Quick buzz of the deck to take down a couple of minor highs and give the epoxy something to grab, with a rolled up sheet of 6oz about 12x5' at the ready:

And all wetted out:

I figure if you can get this intersection nice and flat you've done adequate prep on the stringers and frames:

Inset for the mystery block:

Looks like a decent fit:

And now I'm working on sorting out the framing for the seat hatch. I really like covers that lift right out so that's what I'm working on here. They still need drain troughs routed in, none of this is glued up or anything. It's all just me dry-fitting things together.

Oh, I should give a quick update on the other fun stuff too...family life and cabin time:

My wife continutes to find ways to make being the mom of a toddler look glamourous, by somehow matching her outfit to her surroundings all the time.

Of course she does have to bring spare shoes for the playground. The kid is spectacularly adventurous:

Being totally fed up with the view from our city place, we traded this in:

Via the old boat:

For the cabin, which ended up being really crowded. These two yahoos were constantly leering in the window at us:

And then a bunch of these guys just all over everything:

We checked in at the town hall/trading post/fire department/medical transfer station to see if anything could be done but apparently not.

All we could do to calm down was go swim in the ocean:

But eventually we'd just had it with the terrible conditions and went home. Now if you zoom in really far you'll notice this obnoxious family that was trying to harass us on the commute home:

Single mom with two kids. Sad, the state of society these days. Where is the father? Nowhere to be seen. But that's the world we brought this kid into. He turned 18 months old:

And we celebrated our 21st anniversary at a local restaurant where somehow my wife managed to find something to match with her outfit. So I guess SOME families stay together. Take a hint, whales.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Ah, I see that one video didn't come through, here's the permalink:

https://imgur.com/RlMvvNu

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Awesome, per usual! Those owls look serious!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Beautiful location and I love the owls!! Always nice to see a family out in the wild!!! Jeff

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Yeah, we're pretty fortunate to have so much interesting wildlife in the area. The island our cabin is on has few natural predators or humans, so it's kind of an accidental migratory bird sanctuary. Any species passing through stops there, because it's pretty safe and pretty unspoilt.

So at times we see a ton of hummingbirds, or redwinged blackbirds, or whatever seems to be traveling past. They're there for a week or so and then gone. Pretty cool to see.