At last a build thread: CR16 skiff

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: At last a build thread: CR16 skiff

Post by Jeff »

Looking good cracked_ribs!! Beautiful area to boat!!! Jeff

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Thanks man - yeah, it's a beautiful spot. I sacrificed a lot to move my family here, and for about eight hours a day monday to friday, it doesn't feel like it was worth it.

Then I get off work, take my kid to the playground at the bottom of our street where he can run and climb until he's bored, then swim in the ocean and watch eagles pull fish out of the water and I'm like...oh, yeah, there was really a point to this.

I can't wait to get the engine dialed in and reliability established so I can take him along. He has a little fishing rod with a reel and a little plastic fish instead of a lure with a hook and he constantly runs around the house doing these crazy awkward flinging casts and he's seen me fishing on the big boat enough that I know he gets that's what I'm doing and sort of why, as well. He knows it goes with the boat, anyway. I just can't even overstate how much I'm looking forward to teaching my kid to fish on a boat I built myself. I actually get choked up thinking about it. Which, of course, totally ruins my credentials on the "heavily tattooed ex-arms-industry-shooter bearded bad man" front. But it's honestly a pretty magical combination, if you think about it. Truly a unique pleasure that life could offer: to build a boat with your own hands, and use it to teach your child about boats and fishing and the sea.

I mean honestly...that's life experience lottery win stuff right there, in my opinion.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Really great stuff cracked_ribs!!! Teaching your kids to do anything is a great experience but I personally feel getting kids outside to do stuff is the best. Too many spend way too much time on computers and phones and never get to experience real nature!!! Jeff

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Nice posts you old softy.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Yes, I'm truly the pacific oyster of the boat building world. Very rugged exterior, and might just cut you for no reason.

Then, a very small amount of prying later, you discover the inside is actually quite mushy.

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

I love the sheer line of your boat - a real beauty. Can’t say how impressed I am with your build.

Fascinating thread.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Well thanks very much, I will certainly take that as a compliment coming from you - you are one of the forum's experts on creating a beautiful sheerline, after all. Not to mention the C19 stretch project which makes you a legitimate judge of interesting undertakings!

How is that coming, anyway? I'm so busy these days I rarely look past whatever the most recent three or four threads to pop up happen to be. Are you back on the water yet?

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Chipping away on fiddly little bits when not doing family stuff. Have to admit that much of the time when I'm out in the garage building, I'd rather be taking the family to the beach, so I'm striking a balance. It's slowing down the progress, but I don't really care.

Roughing in the side deck supports:

They're only dry fit, none of this is gluing up yet:

I want to be able to take 8 rods under the gunwale. The shortest rods I ever use are about 7 feet long, although maybe sometime I'll spring for a Trevala and I think they're 6'6. The longest rods are 10'6 mooching rods. I wanted to make sure I could store at least two of each maximum and minimum length, and not have reels banging into rods, or rod tips whacking the hull, so I mocked up some stuff to be sure that would all work about how I want.

Then I went to work on a bracket. Man, not much left of that cutoff wheel! I can't remember if I said this here or not; over Canada Day long weekend I got a piece of wood rammed into my eyeball (outside the field of vision, nothing disastrous) and had to take the boat back over to the big island and head up to the urgent care to get it dug out. Luckily it didn't seem to punch through into the middle so they just pulled it out and put drops in it and gave me a tetanus booster and off I went back to the cabin to live as Odin, having traded one eye for wisdom. In this case, that wisdom paid off and I was wearing safety glasses when that cutoff wheel started to disintegrate on me, so that was good.

Something along these lines should work fine:

Nobody panic about the scuffs on the transom, it has lots of sanding and varnish left to go.

Up next: I thought I would take this nice little slab of maple and turn it into a pad for that outboard to hang on. The old Johnson doesn't have a convenient option for handling a 1/4" plate transom, so it needs a bit of a spacer.

Having gotten the bracket and side deck supports in hand, I took my kid to the other local park that's really amazing, where he continues to focus on climbing everything:

And settled into the hot tub for a nice view of the moon over the bay before facing the grim reality of impending Monday.

I was going to try to take the boat to the cabin next weekend but I'd be rushing and cutting corners to do it, I think, so I won't. I don't want to leave the exposed epoxy in much UV so I really want the interior painted with a couple of coats of primer, at least, before it sits on the hook for a week. That means glassing in the side deck supports and getting paint on the deck in the next three days, plus going around and injecting a few little spots under the sole glass at the edges where there are air bubbles...I don't know. It's probably possible, but the paint would be pushing it and I'd rather just take it as it comes.

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

cracked_ribs wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:57 pm Well thanks very much, I will certainly take that as a compliment coming from you - you are one of the forum's experts on creating a beautiful sheerline, after all. Not to mention the C19 stretch project which makes you a legitimate judge of interesting undertakings!

How is that coming, anyway? I'm so busy these days I rarely look past whatever the most recent three or four threads to pop up happen to be. Are you back on the water yet?

We are close - it’s just I am stuck in the UK and my boat is in Kenya - and due to all the covid travel restrictions we are basing our selves here for now.

But basically she just needs the top coat on the inside and some anti skid and then the woodwork needs clear coating.

Have sent the engine injectors off for a clean - our fuel is terrible and they have sat unused a long time.

Out of interest what are you finishing your wood work with?

I imported the Gurit SP 115 UV epoxy for the wood; and then will clear coat with one a 2 pac clear coat car paints.

I have also found that Fiebens alcohol leather dye seemed to work ok at touching up epoxy blemishes - I have used it on wooden bows in the past and it’s worked nicely there. (I have a few places where the epoxy joint lines look very white because of the microfibres) ...

That’s my plan - sort of - curious how you were dealing with it?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Dang TomTom sorry to hear your stuck away from home. Covid is interrupting every ones lives. Well hope you get back home soon. Take care and get the shots if you can.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978