At last a build thread: CR16 skiff

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: At last a build thread: CR16 skiff

Post by cracked_ribs »

Yeah, I'm hoping by the end of this weekend she'll be in a state where I can stop worrying about UV and just take her out. What's today, tuesday?

I figure...

spot fixes around the sole-hull seam; nothing structural, just the odd small bubble to fill, maybe try to get that handled today.
skim coat the interior wednesday?
fair it back down thursday
might get some paint inside her over the weekend.

Although at some point this week I'll be taking an afternoon to replace the whole exhaust on my old 4runner...over the long weekend at the ramp, somebody rolled through (presumably from the somewhat notoriously crime-ridden industrial town a ways north of here) and cut everybody's catalytic converter out.

Mine was cheap to replace but the whole exhaust system was dying, after 25 years and god knows how many salt baths, so I ordered all new stuff and now I have to deal with that. Nasty work, exhaust. Anyway, that'll put a dent in the week but I'll get it handled one way or another. Pretty decent chance of interior paint this weekend I think.

Meanwhile:

Fiddly bits for the side decks taking shape

And:

A triumph of careful planning dumb luck. 4 rods per side, lowest rods 7" off the deck so hopefully out of boot range. No reels banging on rods, no rod tips banging on the hull. Collapsed lengths 36-68" accomodated so everything from 6'6 jigging rods to 10'6 mooching noodles. Pictured are a 7' casting-jigging rod, a 10'6 moocher (taking up two spaces, but only to illustrate the setup, you could get one in each space) and a 9' spinning rod. That basically covers the gear I use on a regular basis. Everything slides into and out of place, so no cuts through the inward edge of the stiffener. Might throw a narrow strip of glass on that edge for a bit of extra resistance to dings and bangs. Just need to seal the inside of the holes up nicely, then I'll stick in a little strip of neoprene tape to protect the rods. It'll get rod holders at the transom too, of course...but more rod storage is always better. 8 rods under the gunwales should be plenty for any trip this thing does.

Pretty pleased I got away with holes over notches. Notches are way easier to use, of course, but retaining that inner edge for structural reasons is kind of a score.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Looks good CR. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Thanks man! One step at a time. Definitely making progress.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good progress!!! Jeff

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Thanks Jeff - gotta put all that BBC epoxy to work somehow!

Small update:

Like an idiot I started fairing the interior. So that ate some time. It's not perfect and I'm not trying to make it perfect because it'll get beaten on loading stuff on and off the island all the time. But apparently I just can't leave well enough alone.

Oh and I got that bracket mounted up, has quite a bit of travel so gives me a bit of flexibility to move the current motor around, and then if I ever decide to get a nice new 4 stroke, I am a bit less constrained by available leg lengths - could jack it up and put a 25 on there if I had to, I think. The hunk of maple there is really just a spacer, it's not structural. The bolts are just holding it in the correct location; once I get the chance to drop the motor on I'll figure out where I want a few countersunk machine screws to keep it in place when the motor is off. [Anyway not important, the main thing is the bracket is mounted and I can start playing with engine height.

May end up putting a couple of backing plates on here, that's why I ran the bolts so long. Also, I had measured them and knew 2 1/2" was plenty...and then was at the store and went through my typical "yeah but what if I somehow measured wrong and I have to drive all the way back" thing so I got 3" bolts which is pointless but I can always grind them down. Anyway 4x 1/2" bolts...uh, should handle a 100lb, 30 hp motor. But as I have so often said in regards to my stupid and factually unjustified love of the 10mm Auto: yes, it's overkill. But the alternative to overkill could be underkill, and threats that are underkilled are underdead, and underdead threats are still dangerous, and the way to deal with dangerous threats is overkill. Therefore, I overkilled these bolts. Science.

Finally, I cut the anchor locker bulkhead for the very front, cut in the crown for the breasthook that'll sit on it, marked out the hatch and glassed it up so I can get that glued in later today and start working on the side decks. But I forgot to take a picture of that so instead, here's the state of the interior:

Just a little bit longer, and I'll be out on the water and not worrying about UV degradation of the epoxy. Want to get non-skid on the deck, and another coat of paint on the interior. And of course I'll continue with the side decks which can go together pretty quickly now. But once I can leave it outside for a weekend without stressing about UV, I'll be pretty happy.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

yes, it's overkill. But the alternative to overkill could be underkill, and threats that are underkilled are underdead, and underdead threats are still dangerous, and the way to deal with dangerous threats is overkill. Therefore, I overkilled these bolts. Science.
You should definitely get your band to write some music around this. Make it the chorus, if choruses exist in that genre of music. Call the diddy Underdead Science.

Boat is coming along nicely. Don't disappoint and get too far away from the Spartan idea you started with.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Funny, the bassist guy who dragged me into the last project just messaged me about how he was drunkenly writing lyrics and has finally admitted to himself that he can't write. So he's in a vulnerable state and I could definitely swoop in with something.

Not too much danger of this thing getting overcomplicated - once those side decks get placed, along with the breasthook and transom/splashwell enclosure...she's about done until I start the cabin, which will be a pretty minimalist enclosure that pops on and off with latches. I just want somewhere the wife and kid can stay dry on winter crossings. Did I mention that here? I can't remember. It was intended as a bit of a surprise twist.

This is the original concept drawing from back in November:

I figure I'm hewing close enough to the sketch. Kind of wild that little scribble was only ten months ago.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

1. I've got motor-adjustment-envy
2. That cabin looks DAMN shippy!
3. Interior fairing is more logical than exterior, you can see the interior while you use the boat.
4. Sucks about the CC. Exhaust work is over my personal line: I can't weld and don't like rusty metal flakes in my eyes.

Great progress per usual!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Looking good CR, you just keep plugging away. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Progress is continuing at typical summer pace: lots of time off to go play at the beach etc. But I continue to chip away here and there.

Here's the current state of things:

Back when I cut the side panels, I also cut the outwales or rubrails or however you want to look at that, because of course I could easily follow the curve of the hull panel that way. But I also cut 4 extra 1 1/2" strips following that curve, then split them longitudinally, and now I have 8x 3/4" strips that mirror the sheerline. I glued them to the inside of the hull stiffeners, to give me bands to attach the coaming to. Once I'd laminated them in place, they were pretty stiff and pretty hard to push out of their lam'd-in curvature. You can see here I've already glued on the first round, and now I'm laminating on the second one.

Then I was roughing in side decks and coaming and stuff...

Kind of a nice look but the wood isn't in good enough shape to do bright...thank god, or I would end up doing that.

Then it was coats of epoxy on everything to seal it up:

Coaming going on:

This is total paranoia but after two coats of epoxy I still paint surfaces if I won't be able to see them easily. Extra moisture protection.

And finally, I have the coaming in, and I'm placing foam blocks in the gunwales now. The gunwales alone should give about 240lb of positive floatation so this thing should be hard to flip when swamped. Under the breasthook there'll be a little more, although I haven't done the math on exactly how much - not enough to have a huge impact though.

At the transom, right below the decking on the side boxes and under the splash well, there'll be about another 240lb. The boat itself floats, of course, but I wanted enough lift in there to keep it level if swamped, and hold the motor up, even if I put a 4-stroke 40 on it one day or something. Basically I have a ring around the top edge of the boat, about 6"x6" of 2lb/cu.ft. foam, plus bonus space at the transom. I like the idea of keeping the foam high up on this thing because although my area is full of logs in the water, this boat won't be a speed demon and I'm not worried about staving in the hull on a big hemlock, really, so I can keep the foam up where water will naturally want to drain away from it instead of collect, plus it'll resist turtling on the off chance I ever need it to.

Other important news: soap bubbles are AMAZING