At last a build thread: CR16 skiff

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: At last a build thread: CR16 skiff

Post by cracked_ribs »

Also pictured in kitchen: emergency curtain because there was yet another heatwave and we don't usually have a curtain there but it was like a convection oven at the sink otherwise; general messiness because only one parent does a damn thing to keep the house organized while the other builds boats; my wife's window-ledge avocado tree nursery.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Another great photo of the future boat builder!!! Jeff

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Like how you are doing the gunwales and inwales. Those should be rock solid and wide enough to walk on.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Nice update, boat is looking good :wink:
I am becoming a convert to putting the foam up high like you are doing it. That is if the hull does not need it in the bottom for stiffness.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Jeff wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:31 pm Another great photo of the future boat builder!!! Jeff
Yeah not sure how that virus is transmitted but for sure he has high levels of exposure.

He points out every boat we go past, from canoes on roof racks in the neighbourhood to container ships floating in the harbour. If we walk up the back alley he'll excitedly point out every boat in a yard, and then run to the garage door where my boat is. It's pretty adorable.
cape man wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:01 pm Like how you are doing the gunwales and inwales. Those should be rock solid and wide enough to walk on.
Thanks - they're about 7" wide, little more towards the bow so I think walkable, and just inboard enough of the hull to brace your shins against near the motorwell bulkhead. The wide bearing surface should be relatively comfortable to push against for balance.

They are for sure going to be pretty sturdy! This morning I was pulling clamps and it's crazy to think back to how wobbly it was even after the sole was glued down, and of course that was so much stiffer than when I flipped her.

But now you can grab it at the rubrail and give her a hard shake and it's like a solid object. Once the decks are glued down I think it'll feel very solid to stand on.
Fuzz wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:10 pm Nice update, boat is looking good :wink:
I am becoming a convert to putting the foam up high like you are doing it. That is if the hull does not need it in the bottom for stiffness.
It's my first time doing it like this but it just seemed like a good way to go. The hull was probably overglassed anyway, the stringers and bulkheads pretty tightly spaced and the unsupported areas were small, so I thought in the end on this particular boat it was a good choice.

I thought about putting blocks under the sole as well and just gluing them to the sole with a big space underneath. The only reason I didn't was that I recently had a foam headache on a production boat and I was so sick of cutting up floors to fix stuff that I thought screw it, I'll only put it where I can check it easily.

I might put drain plugs in the limbers at the motorwell bulkhead; that's something I've been thinking over. That'd keep the space airtight if I thought I might need it to be; if it got really rough I could pop them in and not worry about water sneaking in from the bilge as I got sloshed around. But that's getting pretty obscure. This boat is rarely going to be more than five miles from land and there's a point where you're past belt and suspenders, and just gluing your pants to you legs.

OTOH as boat builders, probably a lot of us have glued our pants to our legs, so many I'll put those drain plugs in after all.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

The extra wide gunwales are probably my wife's favorite feature on the boat we built. It just makes for an all around better experience, it feels stouter, looks stouter, is easy to sit on, makes getting in and out of the boat easier, esp for older or less nimble people, etc.... we love em.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

cracked_ribs wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:56 pm

They are for sure going to be pretty sturdy! This morning I was pulling clamps and it's crazy to think back to how wobbly it was even after the sole was glued down, and of course that was so much stiffer than when I flipped her.

But now you can grab it at the rubrail and give her a hard shake and it's like a solid object. Once the decks are glued down I think it'll feel very solid to stand on.

Oh yeah! I smile when I feel the rigidity increase as parts are glued in place.

Gunwales and shear look great. I've always felt like inwales hitting just above the knee is the right height.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Thanks guys - it really is feeling less like a project I started, and more like a boat that I'm tweaking.

Tonight I need to try to start getting those decks glued down; yesterday I was just neat-coating stuff prior to assembly for a couple of hours and tuning little fiddly things. REALLY looking forwart to getting all that decking in place for good, and then running a router over the inside and out so I can get a bit of glass on there to lock it down.

At that point it's just breast hook and motorwell stuff. And the breast hook is cut, so really...motorwell, few little things. I should be using it more than I am but it doesn't fit in the garage with the motor on.

Actually...that garage door is trashed anyway. I should just cut a hole for the tongue, and make things easier on myself.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

No time for a proper update just this minute but I'm happy to see things looking like this:

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Looking good!!! I bet your son is happy with the boat progress!!! Jeff