At last a build thread: CR16 skiff

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: At last a build thread: CR16 skiff

Post by VT_Jeff »

As my boss likes to say: A lot to unpack here.
cracked_ribs wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:04 pm half naked chicks on drugs.
You can be sure the only article of clothing they'll be wearing this year is a mask! I've not been but a good friend from Reno drives an art car there. The stories are......Interesting.....

cracked_ribs wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:04 pm "Pole Junkie."
I think you just found your next boat name

cracked_ribs wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:04 pm "Don't let the beard and the busted nose fool you, I'm very sensual."
I think that really comes through the fire-breathing scream!

Most entertaining thread CR, nicely done!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Fairly certain that the handful of places that tolerate my presence do so purely because I can be counted on to provide entertainment.

Sometimes in the form of accomplishment. More often in a fail gif kind of way.

At any rate I tried buffing the paint a little today in one spot, just to see what would happen.

I figure if the fine print on a beer can is pretty clear, it's probably about good enough. I have a few miscellaneous tasks to do but I might try to flip her this weekend.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Very nice!
And I am not even going to razz you for building a "yacht"

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

In exchange I will notify you of the exact location, time, and quantity of years I shed the first time I slam a stainless crab pot into the side.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Big update today!

Let's start with the rear view.  If you're one of the people who's gone and had a look at my instagram feed, which is also partly run by my wife because neither one of us is individually interested enough to sustain it on our own, you will already have gathered that I'm of the opinion that if it doesn't look good from behind, I'm not interested.  Boats are no exception to this rule, so let's get to work.

I think it was Wednesday that the courier showed up with my order of boards.  I figured I'd get onto that right away, but circumstances intervened as I unexpectedly had to take my wife to the hospital because she had a heart arrhythmia that generated a crazy fluttering heart rate that didn't pump enough blood to her brain and she went into shock and I had to physically carry her into the emergency room.  We happened to be walking about a block from the local trauma centre so I had her in one hand and the stroller in the other and it was quite a scene.  But not too long after arriving, her heart re-set and she was perfectly normal again.

And then taking my kid to the hospital two days later because he managed to tip over his stroller into a brick retaining wall, splitting his forehead right open and dumping blood everywhere which probably wasn't all that easy on my wife's heart either.  I have a lot of training that's good for emergency medicine so if you need someone to slam a tourniquet on your thigh and dump quickclot in your holes while everything around you explodes, I'm totally your guy.  But if you need to figure out whether a kid has a small depressed skull fracture, I have no idea.  I checked his pupils (nothing concerning there) and stopped the bleeding but a hit to the head is a hit to the head, so I took him in.  But no TBI, so they cleaned him up, glued his forehead shut, and gave him back.
At any rate I didn't get much done for a few days there.  But once everyone was home and fine, I went back to it.

This looks about right:

So I mixed up around 15 oz of fairly wet peanut butter, put two thirds of it on the transom and the remaining third on one side of the boards, and on they went.

Some flooring off-cuts that were left in the basement by the previous owner of the house made a useful clamping array:

I put a few C-clamps on the keel and ran strings from the tops of the boards to the clamps, with a waco hitch to snug them down good and hard.

I figured that was about enough for one day, so we made plans to head to the beach to enjoy the spectacular weather we're currently having.  I was working on the transom so I told my wife to come get me when she was about ready to leave.  She dropped in on the boat and was suitably impressed by the one section I test-buffed.

And then it was off to the beach for the rest of the day.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

But wait, there's more! We got up this morning and headed down for coffee at our favourite local place, took the kid to the amazing local park that overlooks the beach, and got home around 11 am. I grabbed about fifty feet of rope from the basement and got to work.

First things first, let's remove yesterday's crazy complicated transom clamping stuff.

Little tiny bits of epoxy oozed out at the seams but it's so minor. The surface is very uniform. It'll get sanded, saturated in epoxy, and varnished to hell and back. The rear view will indeed be memorable.

Then I started setting up to suspend the boat from the rafters. I initially began to tie a bunch of waco hitches - I have no idea if this is a common name but that's what we called then when I was a kid - which are basically simple rope pulleys.

They work really well, but then when I was taking this picture I realized that hanging on the wall are a bunch of sheaves that came off a commercial salmon troller. Why am I screwing around with improvised pulleys? I hung three sheaves, tensioned up the rope cradle, and started disassembling the framing under the boat.

I spent a little bit of time cranking up the ropes one at a time, but it was pretty easy. Around an hour of work, and over she went. Wife stopped by just in time to see the flip.

"I'll get a picture of you with it," she said. "Smile, like you're celebrating."

"One barbarian celebration, coming up."

With the rolling cradle out of the way, it was easy to bolt a couple of spare trailer bunks to it, so I popped those on, rolled it back into the garage, and lowered the boat down onto the bunks.

Most of the rest of the afternoon was just sitting in the boat making motor sounds.

Kid extremely wary of the newly inverted boat...

But I am ready to start the next phase.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

One heck of an update!
Glad to hear your wife seems to be doing ok now, that had to be scary. Speaking of scary head wounds on kids is it. They always seem to bleed all out of proportion to the wound.
Boat is looking good! A nice looking transom is a good thing indeed :wink: :roll:

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Damn, son! Glad the wife and kiddo are safe and sound, that's a lot of excitement!

Transom is going to slay like that, great idea!

And now, empty canvas, has to feel awesome.

We call them "taut lines" btw. Imaginative, I know!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

cape man

Post by cape man »

Ditto on the wife and kid. Love the transom!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

It was indeed more excitement than I felt I needed, but everyone seems to have recovered; I myself have taken enough facial cuts that I'm used to the amount of blood they generate and wasn't too shocked but of course my wife was very unnerved. But it was all fine and basically cosmetic, so everyone has calmed back down and I'm able to focus on the boat again (presumably not what my employers want me to be focused on all the time, but as I often tell my boss, "you're not the boss of me." Which he is, but no point indulging him.

I'm very psyched about the open space inside; it'll have three times the fishing room of my current, much larger boat. Absolutely can't wait to start glassing the interior.

Also pretty revved up to get some clear epoxy on that transom!