At last a build thread: CR16 skiff

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: At last a build thread: CR16 skiff

Post by cracked_ribs »

Whoops!

I like the idea of glassing a card into the boat...I can picture explaining this to some of my friends.

"You know Ace of Spades by Motorhead?"

"Oh man yeah, rock anthem! One of the best songs ever."

"Well, I glassed a card into the boat I'm building."

"And you used the ace of spades, of course, because of Motorhead."

"Um...almost."

I did manage to glass down the transverse frames yesterday after work, that was a bit of a chore. But now it's motorwell bulkhead, and then I can put down at least a temporary sole to have a flat surface to walk on again.

I don't know why I only took a picture of the first 3 but anyway, they're all in.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

cracked_ribs wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:55 am
I like the idea of glassing a card into the boat...I can picture explaining this to some of my friends.

My son made a time capsule in a peanut butter jar I buried in the foam under my sole.
It's got a copy of the boat plans a note from him and one from me, a couple photos of us building the boat, and a few legoes and random items he felt should go in a time capsule.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

I'd guess that for the first four decades of my life I'd have shrugged that off as quirky but irrelevant to me.

Now that I'm a dad, I'd scrap the whole boat before I'd give up that peanut butter jar.

Funny how much your life can change over the course of about nine months.

Now that you've described that, it makes me want to embed something from my son, although he's so young that for the moment he wouldn't understand it.

Although by the time I finish, maybe he will. Anyway it's a beautiful idea. I'm sure that's very precious to you. If it were me, I'd get emotional every time I thought about it.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

cracked_ribs wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:28 am I'd guess that for the first four decades of my life I'd have shrugged that off as quirky but irrelevant to me.

Now that I'm a dad, I'd scrap the whole boat before I'd give up that peanut butter jar.

Funny how much your life can change over the course of about nine months.

Now that you've described that, it makes me want to embed something from my son, although he's so young that for the moment he wouldn't understand it.

Although by the time I finish, maybe he will. Anyway it's a beautiful idea. I'm sure that's very precious to you. If it were me, I'd get emotional every time I thought about it.
I put some of my departed dogs' toys loose under my aft sole to rattle around over the years and make my wife bawl while she fights a reel-screamer. Nothing I cant easily remove with a few hours of grinding and re-glassing.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Jeez I missed a whole update somehow - I came looking to post some minor stuff and thought hang on...way more stuff has happened since this last update, this can't be right.

Well, holidays continue to happen so of course I'm behind schedule again, or I would be, if I was workinng to any kind of schedule.

Victoria Day weekend, which my wife has finally stopped calling "May 2-4" after having left Ontario more than twenty years ago,took us over to the cabin. The kid always zonks right out on the boat.

I have been really enjoying this combo, an Ugly Stik tiger lite m/h with a Baitrunner 6000. At one time I would have thought the 6000 was too small but it seems to have plenty of drag and of course now that we all use braid it holds tons of line, so I guess a reel that fits in your hand is kind of nice. I also thought the tiger lite would feel weird to me because it's short - I grew up using 8-9' rods for everything. But I just couldn't find one with the action I wanted, and the setup I like, at the same time. I like spread-bore guides, because I like spinning reels for jigging and casting both. But every rod with the guides I like, is either a pool cue like a Saguaro, or a noodle, like a steelhead rod. I have this weird fishing style that evolved on the BC coast in the 70s where I like to drift and cast and you need kind of a generalist setup with a spinning reel to do it, or at least that's what I need to do it. Anyway the 7' Tiger Lite works pretty well and I can cast it better than I thought I'd be able to so I'll probably get a couple more. Of course I forgot to get fish pics but I hauled up a 12 pound lingcod and that's about exactly what I like to find.

After that it was all just chainsaw maintenance, beach wandering and deadfall clearing.

Okay, back to work.

Motorwell bulkhead:

Cut in a bit of crown on that...

Roughed out the notch and cut the motorwell sides:

There it is all mocked up...

Before I glued it into place, I wanted to hack out a spot for a transducer, so I cut about a 3x6" rectangle out of the bilge core and filled it with cabosil, milled fibres and epoxy, and glassed back overtop.

With that done, I glued in the motorwell bulkhead:

Cleaned up the transom notch:

Gave the motor a quick test hang to make sure everything seemed to work all right - still might put a jackplate on for maximum tune-ability though.

And now I'm knocking the front bench together.

So there you have it, we're all caught up to today, when I was going to post an update for the last week or so, which I guess I'll write now.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Great update!! Always like seeing the family photos!!! Jeff

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Living the dream! Keep the posts coming!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

You know, I never thought anyone would find any of the side stuff interesting but it often turns out to be the stuff most people ask me about later.

Maybe this is a related concept: I was always really anti-selfie, photo-wise I mean, because it seems so egocentric. But then one day I realized that if a friend of mine had a picture of a place they went on vacation that was kind of interesting, but if they were IN the picture, it seemed so much more significant, because there's an emotional anchor there instead of just a photograph of a beach.

I don't know if this is universal, but I think back to when I was in the journalism game and you could tell anyone the statistical probability of something happening, like a car accident at a particular intersection, and it was like you were explaining the varieties of white paint. But you say, "here's the story of a single mom whose car was totaled at Main and 1st" and it was gripping. I guess we're just wired that way. Even for me, I scroll down the page and see random stuff about my family, that's what I go back and look at. In other threads as well, I look for specific details in a build thread if I'm doing that one thing, and I want to see how someone else did it. But in general, it's the off-topic stuff that keeps me reading.

Bearing that in mind, I guess I better lead with this: back to the beach. The kid got totally scuffed up on barnacles from the knees down, but didn't care. Mom cared a LOT. But he didn't even stop running into the ocean.

Still snow on those mountains which personally, I like to see. If this was an episode of CSI you could zoom in just up off the end of that first point and see my house. The town is built on a steep hill, which is nice, because I have a great view of the ocean as a result.

Getting that motorwell knocked together, that's all glassed in now...

Clearing out the hull so I can get onto the cleats, nice to see it empty.

Big pile of pine getting chopped up for cleating everything...

Oh, then I took a detour to go buy a trailer from some guy on FB marketplace:

The bunks are kind of rough but I don't care because I have spares.

Getting the cleats all fully leveled out took a couple of hours and I wasn't as careful as a should have been doing the side frames so I have to have taller cleats to level that out. But that's sorted. I'm using 1x2 anywhere I really need the joint to hold a lot of weight, and 1x1 where it's just gluing surface as the sole will pass overtop of the frame or stringer, say.

And finally here's a big pile of cleats for the edges of everything cut to various sizes for various reasons...I sanded them all on a disc sander so the surfaces are nice and fresh, and today I'll probably start coating them with epoxy to seal them up for installation during the week. I hope to have the cleating finished within a week or so. I was worried about it because it can be fiddly and I could see the side frames were too short at the outside edge, but lining everything up was actually pretty simple.

Really can't wait to get the sole cut in, that'll make it feel half done.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Looks like it's all really coming together nicely, nice score on the trailer, those things are getting in short supply!

Out of everything, the carabiner on the binky is my favorite. That is outstanding! I have a feeling that when you were that age(probably roughly the same time I was), you were not on a leash(though you may be now from time to time), wearing ear protection on your dads boat or wearing shoes on the beach. The times they are a changin. Not neccessarily a bad thing, just a stark contrast. My dog has a safety harness/seatbelt for the car. When I was a kid, KIDS didn't wear seatbelts, and now dogs do. At least my dog does.

I started using one of these to sharpen my saw and really like it. A little pricey but easy and consistent:

https://www.shforestrysupplies.com/905- ... gIVz_D_BwE
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

I definitely never got any protective equipment as a kid and I struggled a bit with the whole dilemma of helicoptering vs learning risk...but this particular kid is so gung-ho that it's either slow him down a little, or see some serious damage, I think. But it's a constant dilemma and I think about this every day.

At that age I was apparently similar and took injuries I can't remember, but were probably worse than necessary for the purposes of instruction... I know at about the age he is now, I put my top teeth right through my bottom lip from the inside, all four fronts, and they had to stitch my lower lip back together because I briefly had two mouths as a result, for instance. I don't know, it's hard to say. A lot of the places we go are inherently pretty dangerous and a bad fall could be TBI territory, that's my big worry. But at the same time I'm a proponent of risk exposure so he learns to manage it. That beach is pretty rocky and he's right on the edge of "can he navigate it without falling" so I don't like to see him over-protected, but at least with the backpack leash, you can follow along and he doesn't know he's got a safety tether, so my hope is that he'll get the risk exposure benefits, but we can still catch him before he falls six feet onto rock or whatever.

The hearing protection I'm a bit nutty about but I actually wear electronic muffs myself in the boat, because I spent so long playing in rock bands and riding motorcycles recreationally, and shooting professionally, that most conversations for me now are like this:

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEor not?EEEEEEEEEE"
"Sorry, were you talking to me?"
"EEEEEEEEEEElast time before you will everEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"
"Can we start this conversation over? I think I missed something important."
"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEget arrestedEEEEEEEEE."

So I'm really paranoid about hearing loss and I make him muff up. That's a loud boat, though, with a 302 right behind us roaring away. Ironically my wife is fully deaf on one side but hears perfectly on the other, so we're like Tweedledum and Tweedledee with our hearing. For me, everything is one volume and I have to be able to see your mouth to understand anything you see (the last year or so has been extremely confusing and involved a lot of blank smiling and slow nods) but directionally, I'm totally fine, and when I'm looking for a weird engine noise or something I do pretty well, because the clicks and ticks and sharp sounds like that, feel almost as loud as the main engine hum. But organic noise, I'm really bad with it and have no idea what I'm hearing.

My wife has high fidelity...but no ability to determine the direction any sound came from, because everything is in mono, so she hears everything but is always wrong about where it's coming from. So we end up fumbling along together whenever there's a weird sound in the house like the dryer failing or something, her describing the sound so I can try to pick it out, but then always walking away in completely the wrong direction, me swinging my head back and forth with my mouth hanging open trying to isolate it from the clutter even though for anyone else it would be obvious, and take us to where it's coming from.

Truly, the deaf leading the deaf.