At last a build thread: CR16 skiff

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: At last a build thread: CR16 skiff

Post by cracked_ribs »

I think the trick is to do it drunk once or twice and discover afterwards that it still worked out fine. After that it's always "well hey, I did this drunk at Ross' barbecue one year and the boat looked fine afterwards, this has to be better than that."

Ross being a friend of mine (also the lead guitar in two bands with me over the years and the cousin of the bassist who recruited me to play in his metal band last year - more on this at the end of the post) who built an FS17 and, knowing Ross, was drunk the entire way through. We painted it at a barbecue at his place after twelve or fourteen beers and woke up expecting disaster, but actually it looked great, and I decided that a big part of success for me going forward was going to involve a lot of shrugging and just doing stuff.

Today all I did was haul the boat out of the garage and clean everything up so I could take a step without choking on primer dust. There was probably an eighth of an inch of dust on the floor, no joke. I swept everything down, moved everything, vaccuumed everything. That doesn't make for great pics but you know what does? Having the boat in the alley for a bit.

Note that the child has grown slightly since the beginning of the thread but is still very small, ergo I am not that far behind schedule.

Of course the downside is that in good light you can see I need three more coats of paint to even up that surface but I found all the paint and I do indeed have about 4.5 quarts left so I can layer it on for as long as I want, really.

Oh, here's the garage, post-clean. I realize it doesn't look very clean but if there was a good before picture, well, it's a big improvement.

Okay, back to gratuitous boat pics:

And finally I had to stuff her back in the car hole.

Oh, I did also decide to treat the boat to what I call "the Australian Flip."

Now we can picture her right side up!

Finally, only because I said I would...the bassist finally sent me a rough mix of a song from last summer's session. It hasn't been mastered and I think he had the plan to bring up the highs in the guitars a little more but anyway you probably wouldn't notice a huge difference off a youtube video anyway, I think the sound is pretty compressed.

I can't honestly say this is music I'd write if left to my own devices but as I think I said somewhere earlier in the thread, I'll do pretty much whatever if I can do it at max volume and working hard enough on stage to sweat off a few pounds. This isn't super demanding guitar work or anything but I sure worked my throat getting these vocal tracks down and by the time we're doing it live, I'll probably have shoehorned in some high-speed guitar work somewhere.

What I think I will probably do for this project is build a case for whatever guitar head I use, and put a few travelling voltage arcs inside it with just enough gaps in the case that you can see it arcing through the mesh front in an unpredictable way. I always like to play bizarre gear on stage that other musicians can't identify, and that non-musicians are a bit mesmerized by. I used to use a big stack of rack gear that had been completely blacked out, and I'd always switch it on and off on stage while wearing big electrical gauntlets, and it had a huge grounding cable that ran from the head to a big metal plate on the bottom cab, which did nothing, but of course nobody knew that but me. I'd open my guitar case, take out the lineman's gauntlets, hook up this giant ground cable to a bolt on the fake ground plate, plug my guitar into the rack, switch on about ten switches and power the whole thing up, then remove the gauntlets and put them back in my guitar case. I always figured people who come to a show, come to be entertained. I want the whole experience to be rock theatre.

At any rate here's one of the tracks we laid down last summer. If it strikes you as unlistenable, well, you were warned.

https://youtu.be/D1fkcSXAq08
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

You did warn me... not my genre, but you enjoyed making it....I hope. :lol:

The wife came by as I was listening and asked "what the hell are you listening to? " I told her it was Canadian boat building music.

I was really into brewing when I built the OD18, and over the year and a half it took discovered a strong ratio of 5 gallons of Boat Building Beer for every gallon of epoxy used. The boat took 22 gallons of epoxy.

Noticed the can of Tail Spin a few posts back. Local? Never seen that one.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

Oh yeah, the boat looks good.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

CR,

PM me your physical address, I'm sending over a Priest and a throat surgeon.

After spending some time on your "Sex, Violence and Rabbits" feed, and reading about the fire-breathing on stage etc, I was fairly prepared for the track. At least I knew it wasn't going to sound like the bump music from "All Things Considered". Did not disappoint.

I love the stage props too. You should put a roadie in a faraday suit to help you power up your rig. Flipping hilarious!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice!!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Mrs was all “really, Norwegian metal this early?” (It was 6a at the time).

I was all “this is ok though... it’s Canadian.”

She replied “leave it to you to find the one angry Canadian.”

I don’t think she gets it.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

cape man wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:00 am You did warn me... not my genre, but you enjoyed making it....I hope. :lol:

The wife came by as I was listening and asked "what the hell are you listening to? " I told her it was Canadian boat building music.

I was really into brewing when I built the OD18, and over the year and a half it took discovered a strong ratio of 5 gallons of Boat Building Beer for every gallon of epoxy used. The boat took 22 gallons of epoxy.

Noticed the can of Tail Spin a few posts back. Local? Never seen that one.
Canadian boat building music! I'll have to tell the bassist, I think he was going for something much darker, which I interfered with to the best of my ability...recording it was fun but I admit it was also punctuated by these arguments in which the bassist kept wanting it to be more "bleak" and I was like "...but...I'm happy. Can't we just focus on an adjective like "thunderous?" Does it have to be "bleak?" That doesn't sound like something I would voluntarily listen to." Also, being a total metal guy, he was really all-in on buzzwordy metal lyrics and I had to fight to change them into something a little more creative. But every line was a battle. I did eventually sneakily turn them all into a weird narrative concept about some sort of post-apocalyptic tribal existence in the ruins of a giant modern city filled with decaying technology beyond the understanding of the people living there...but it was a lot of work to get consensus on even little things like "how about I don't just scream 'hail to the bloody contagion' here, and I agree to reuse the words 'hail,' 'bloody,' and 'contagion' in some context elsewhere in the same song?"

Jeez, metal primadonnas and their fetish for gruesome lyrics. I want to write a song about going to the beach.

Tail Spin is, I think, local, but also it's gin-based, which I admit is a little girly, but my excuse is that an old Rhodesian friend of mine turned me on to it one summer on the grounds that all forms of gin are acceptable, and he's the least girly guy I think I know and the only person I've ever met who could wear a pith helmet and not seem ridiculous.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

VT_Jeff wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:58 am CR,

PM me your physical address, I'm sending over a Priest and a throat surgeon.

After spending some time on your "Sex, Violence and Rabbits" feed, and reading about the fire-breathing on stage etc, I was fairly prepared for the track. At least I knew it wasn't going to sound like the bump music from "All Things Considered". Did not disappoint.

I love the stage props too. You should put a roadie in a faraday suit to help you power up your rig. Flipping hilarious!
I'll bet a day is coming where I'll need both on staff around here.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:06 am Mrs was all “really, Norwegian metal this early?” (It was 6a at the time).

I was all “this is ok though... it’s Canadian.”

She replied “leave it to you to find the one angry Canadian.”

I don’t think she gets it.
LOL...there are a handful of similarly defective folks up here but I admit that I do not mesh well with classical Canadianism as perceived by the world!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

cracked_ribs I seem to be a super dummy. I can't seem to find the CR16 study plans in any of the building plans sections could you point them out to me. I would sure like to know what your building so I can follow along. I have looked in Power Boats under 16', Specialty Boats, and others. :doh:

Thanks, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978