At last a build thread: CR16 skiff

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: At last a build thread: CR16 skiff

Post by Cowbro »

TomW1 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:16 pm cracked_ribs I seem to be a super dummy. I can't seem to find the CR16 study plans in any of the building plans sections could you point them out to me. I would sure like to know what your building so I can follow along. I have looked in Power Boats under 16', Specialty Boats, and others. :doh:

Thanks, Tom
It is his own design, not a BBC design. I think there are details in the first page.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Yes, I'm afraid that this is purely the product of my own irresponsible mind. There's no map, no key, and not even much of an explanation for most of it.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

cracked_ribs wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:08 pm ... not even much of an explanation for most of it.
I think that you've provided enough evidence of your uniqueness that we get it. We really do. And for the most part we want to encourage you to do it your way. Heck, I've got a beer and a nice seat!

Just stay clear of my daughter ;)
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

LOL... I've been chased away from enough daughters and still managed to get this far in life without having to dig #8 bird shot out of my skin; I'm well past pushing my luck on any dads I encounter these days!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Dang it all CR I forgot that it was your own design. I went back and looked and I was the first one to respond to you after you put up your first post. :lol:
Guess I am just getting to old at 68. :lol:

Well keep on with the build can't wait till it's finished and like I said above I love that Blue.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

You know I noticed that but wasn't going to say anything - too many boat builds to keep track of them all, I can barely stay current on this build let alone anyone else's!

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Not much to update beyond saying that I keep layering on blue. I might do a couple more coats, but I plan to stop painting this week, and then leave it alone over easter weekend to cure. It's just an alkyd enamel that I'm using, although I have been cutting in a bit of Valspar hardener that chemically crosslinks the paint so it should be pretty tough in the end. I've used the same stuff on other boats to good effect.

I am getting pretty happy with the overall appearance. The first pic is two coats ago, the other two are this afternoon. It's very uniform in tone now, and starting to pick up a bit of depth. Once I start smoothing out the surface I think it'll have a lot of shine to it.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Very nice! Maybe even a little too shiny for a boat that will be used hard :wink:

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Hey yeah...at the beginning of this thread wasn't I saying something about no more art boats?

God damn it, I'm having a relapse.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Well, I'm off to my cabin for a bit so there won't be any progress for a week or so, but here's the current state of things: I think I'm happy with the paint, I just need to wet sand it to get it nice and glossy.

Colour is nice and even and I think I have enough on there that I won't lose anything by hitting it with 1000/1500/2000 to clean it up. If I do start to see through the topcoat, I'll throw some more blue on, but I think it'll be fine.

Then I have a little bit of transom work to do, and a few miscellaneous little tasks, but I expect to flip her pretty quick now.