At last a build thread: CR16 skiff

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: At last a build thread: CR16 skiff

Post by cracked_ribs »

Just watched the video on that sharpener - man, that's slick. That'd be faster than what I have, which works well and all, but can be a bit awkward in the field unless you want to haul a stump vise around with you, which I never end up doing. It looks like you could set it up once for one side, roll the whole chain through, then once for the other side, and roll the chain around, and be done.

Can you set the raker height with it? That's the only thing I can do with that Pferd sharpener that is kind of a standout feature, IMO. It makes for a very evenly sharpened chain.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Hilarious on the impaired hearing chronicles. My wife and I both hear ok, but we both tend to "YIP" dishes and glasses into shards with growing regularity. As long as you're looking for balance, you're winning.

Rakers need to be flat filed per usual. But you're right, with a new chain or one you've trained, it's super quick to run both sides through for a quick hone between refuels. Much easier on the wrists and hands than a round file.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Work continues and the immediate goal of floating to mark the waterline is starting to feel really close.

Here's a shot of some of the last framing to go in under the deck. I wanted a 2x3 centerline support that would give me a good gluing surface as well as plenty of rigidity for the sole, which is only 3/8" (although it is marine fir which is pretty stiff).

Strap hangers for the 2x3s...

I went inside for lunch on Saturday where I found my mischievous kid only willing to consume peanut butter when not being monitored, for some reason. My wife had to look away for him to eat it. I found it really funny and took this picture.

After lunch, she brought him out to the garage and it was like somehow he grasped what I'd been doing all of a sudden. Recently he's been pointing at pictures of boats in books but I hadn't thought anything of it, I think he just hears me use the word "boat" a lot and he's on our big boat all the time but for whatever reason this day she brought him out to the garage and first he was just kind of shocked looking, but then he got really excited and wanted to get in. Which, since I'd placed the sole, was possible for the very first time. It's hard to express how excited he was, and I doubt he get that I'm building something, exactly...but I swear you could see this sort of light bulb in his head and he was just overjoyed about it. It was really wild.

He's also teething again which is ridicuous. He has everything but the second set of molars, and has since right around when he turned one, which is something like six months ahead of schedule. And now the second molars are coming in, also six months or more early. Absurd.

Anyway the sole is fitted but I still need to put cleats around the outside edges.

Now I'm going to go try to start doing that.

Oh, one more thing, which I mentioned a couple of months back:

Now why would I need that, do you figure, for an outboard-powered boat with a portable gas tank?

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Hatch size mockup so I can for sure get the kicker in and out! My plan is to build a bracket that drops into place on some locator pins etc and screws down with Scotty downrigger bolts (because they're hand-tightened and very common here). If I need or want to use the kicker, I can pop it on the bracket inside the boat, then drop the bracket in place and go.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good planning!!! I like it!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Is the diesel fill for fuel for a heater?

cape man

Post by cape man »

Is the diesel fill for fuel for a heater?
X2
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Possible that you're going to transport diesel with that boat?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

All excellent guesses but not even close, I'm afraid!

There is a heater, but the tank will be a standalone unit. And several years of working underground around big diesel equipment left me with a chemical sensitivity to diesel that makes me puke if I smell it too strongly so as god is my witness, I will not volunteer to transport it for anyone.

But there is a reason!

cape man

Post by cape man »

Because Reddik is your favorite action hero? Van _____.

By the way...that face on your son is priceless! Hope he loves boats that much when he's sporting a graying beard like you.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman