Trent's FS14 LS Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Trent's FS14 LS Build

Post by Mojosmantra »

2 months of searching, but I struck gold today :D :D :D

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Damn! 20?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Mmm, 25. DAMN!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Yeah, I went all in on the 25. I figured if I got the itch, the next build would be a little bigger and I’d be set in the power category.

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

A couple of questions about the sole butt block and the sole install:

Does frame C get notched on the top to accept the 4" butt block? Or is the butt block actually 2 pieces spanning between frames B and C and D and C? My inclination was the first option, but that does put a notch in the top of a structural frame. Then I searched Jeff's build, which looks like the second option. I also had in my mind that the sole would get installed in two pieces, but it looks like Jeff glued up the entire sole and installed as one piece.

The "Construction" diagram appears to have the butt block on top of the frame and cleats, which can't be right unless the intent is to raise the entire sole by 9mm and I don't think it is.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Mojosmantra wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:28 am A couple of questions about the sole butt block and the sole install:

Does frame C get notched on the top to accept the 4" butt block? Or is the butt block actually 2 pieces spanning between frames B and C and D and C? My inclination was the first option, but that does put a notch in the top of a structural frame. Then I searched Jeff's build, which looks like the second option. I also had in my mind that the sole would get installed in two pieces, but it looks like Jeff glued up the entire sole and installed as one piece.

The "Construction" diagram appears to have the butt block on top of the frame and cleats, which can't be right unless the intent is to raise the entire sole by 9mm and I don't think it is.
Yeah, my butt blocks left space for the frame c cleats and space for the cleats at the front/back of the cockpit. I had a lot of other noise going on with the console shoes and it seemed like the simper option. The sole is still completely supported without the contnuous butt block.
20210524_133633.jpg

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Mojosmantra wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:28 am The "Construction" diagram appears to have the butt block on top of the frame and cleats
It's on top of frame C but set-in to the aft cleat.I think he has Frame C 9mm too low in that drawing is my best guess.
Capture.PNG

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

The picture above is extracted from the plans.
That is how it is done: there is a butt block under the two sole halves.

On the station drawings, the baseline is the lower face of the sole. If you want to follow the plans, deduct the thickness of the butt block but if you don't, it will be just as good. Just make certain that you are consistent about the level of the floor for the battens on B and D. Just draw the level of the sole on each and you will see what to do.

You could splice the sole but I like a nice butt block there. It reinforces the sole.

PS: do not worry about the weird corner in the perspective view, it's a drafting mistake, we should show thickness there.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Some small milestones...

Installed the fuel tank base following mostly what others have done I think:

Here's the dog (Karma)...wondering when we'll go fishing again. She's scared of everything except tennis balls, water, boats and power tools (unless it's a vacuum cleaner).

Sole cleats are installed. Thanks for the replies on my question about the butt splice. I think I have my install methodology figured out now.

Built a stand for the new motor (didn't have a space big enough to store it in the box) and got it stowed away:

Laid out and dry fit my conduit for the fuel vent, fuel supply, starting cables, stern pumps and anchor light, bow nav lights, etc.

Got out on the reef. I'm not really a "reef" guy, but the wind laid down for the first time in months and made for a nice flat day. Brought home a nice Mangrove Snapper and barely legal Hogfish for dinner. I don't usually keep barely legal fish, but a Hogfish on hook-and-line is a rarity and they are one of the best eating fish there is. And of course, hooked up on a nice Wahoo with the smallest rod & reel on the boat - that didn't end well.

My bow cleat will also be a lifting eye and the hardware came in for that. It's a pretty serious piece. These pics don't do it justice as to the size of it and this is the "small" version. Unfortunately, it will mean that my bow eye will be further aft than I would like. I'm considering using two carriage bolts in the lieu of the eye, but then I still need an eye and two more holes in the boat:

Overdrilled/filled/drilled my transom holes (garboard, livewell pump and drain, bildge pump, and tiedown/lifting eyes). I hate nothing more than drilling holes in boats - it just feels wrong:

Finally, finished shaping the rubrails. I beladored this and thought about all kinds of jigs for the radii, but in the end just marked a line with a compass, cut the bulk off with a circular saw and finished the shaping with a belt sander and 40-grit paper. I'm happy with the stern, but something about the bow lines are bothering me and I can't put my finger on it yet. I'm going to keep looking at it and see if I want to reshape it:

It's looking like I'm going to plow through with the topside before flipping to finish the hull, minus decks and hatches. My buoyancy foam is on the way. I'm planning on a lot more than plan/spec (6 gallons) - mostly for sound abatement. I tap my finger on this 1/4" hull and I imagine it's going to be a noisy boat otherwise. BTW, anyone notice the price jump on foam? I talked with Jeff and he said his distributor passed the increase directly to BBC. I guess it's COVID related. I've been thinking of ordering for over a month now and just waited to long. Bummer. Anyway, the conduit will go in as part of that process. I'll also install the sole and paint the inside of the lockers.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Mojosmantra, nice progress on the build!!! Great catch, I think Hogfish are the best eating saltwater fish!!! Jeff