Trent's FS14 LS Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Trent's FS14 LS Build

Post by Mojosmantra »

Thanks!

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

One more question - this time concerning "hard spots". I've been super careful avoiding hard spots with the hull panels, stringers and frames. Does this concept also apply to cleats (where they meet the hull); compartment sides (if abutting the stringers); and false floors (e.g. for battery and fuel tank supports)? Or can those elements come in direct wood-to-wood contact?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Mojosmantra wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:09 am One more question - this time concerning "hard spots". I've been super careful avoiding hard spots with the hull panels, stringers and frames. Does this concept also apply to cleats (where they meet the hull); compartment sides (if abutting the stringers); and false floors (e.g. for battery and fuel tank supports)? Or can those elements come in direct wood-to-wood contact?
No, hard spots only regard the hull bottom below the water line. Of course you should always have a little bit of space between what your gluing and the hull for epoxy glu;e mixture your using.

Tom
Last edited by TomW1 on Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Trent,

here's a link to some talk about venting:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65386&p=481488&hilit=vent#p481488

And my vent, for better or for worse etc.
20210427_121959.jpg
20210427_122906.jpg
20210427_122906.jpg (123.34 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Another marathon post. I'm away from my build for the next 10 days or so, but have been able to put in some time each day up until now. Generally, I've gotten the stringers, frames, rubrails and lockers installed and had a good start on cleats before being pried away:

Stringers: I spaced and squared them up on the floor before the install.

Frames: I hung them from battens resting on the shear line to assure everything stayed aligned. This allowed me to scribe any needed trimming along the bottom and to ensure I had good consistent gaps.

Speaking of gaps...I had some sharpie sized ones that I fretted over for a few hours. My attempts to close them up were practically fruitless without taking the shear line out of fair. I did get a little bit out, but in the end decided to roll with it. I have since noticed a slight dip in the shear line (about 3/16") at midship, and suspect this gap is not completely guilty , but does play a roll in that.

Rubrails: I laid my rubrails flat following Cameron's lead, except I cut and glued (Gel Magic) some pre-wedges, because Cameron must have four arms and I only have two. I also flared/built up the rubrail forward of frame A by quite a bit. The goal is to get a large radius on the nose. I also have this idea to drill a hole that I'll use for a stake-out pin - so I needed some meat for that. Overall, it's about 2-3/4" inches proud of the hull tapering aft to 1".

I re-installed the frame battens which helped ensure the rubrail stayed aligned with the shear line.

Framed out the lockers. Fuel tank and misc. storage forward of Frame B. Battery and all electrical aft of Frame B (I'm reducing the cockpit), and storage/livewell aft of Frame D. I know the livewell is iffy weight wise, but I figure it's not a livewell until I fill it with water.

Got my fuel tank from Boyd's - opted for a sending unit/guage:

More rubrail:

In the end, I ran some dowels. Probably overkill, but adds some shear strength beyond the glue. Will give me some peace of mind during the next flip and for trying to rock her out of the mud flat that I'm sure she'll encounter on a few occasions.

So I mentioned that I was reducing the cockpit. This is the "frame" that will support the elongated forward deck. I used the 9mm ply backed by 3/4 pine.

The "lobes" attached to the battery locker will also accept my grab rail support per the sketch below:

Finally, I've got a good start on the cleats. Still need to do the sole cleats.

This is how she sits for the next 10 days. I'm probably going to finish out the cleats, get the conduit installed, and foam prior to flipping for hull paint. Based on how my motor search is going, I have plenty of time.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

So many great ideas here Trent, really impressed. Hanging the frames like that, the wedges for the rubrails, squaring and unifying the stringers. Great stuff! I could have used some of those tricks on my build. I struggled with some of those steps that you cleverly figured out, bravo!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Incredible progress too!

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Much thanks. And I might have just gotten a lead on a motor - trying not to get too excited about that, but it's really dry out there.

Maybe I'll have her in the water for "winter" and ready for your visit :D I heard it gets cold in your parts.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Great work! It's I wish I would've spent a little more time on squaring up my stringers. They're not bad, just had to do a little extra frame trimming.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Looking good. Great progress.

Does your fuel vent have a integral P-trap? If not you’ll need to add one or if you have space you can create an inverted loop in the hose to prevent water from coming in and spoiling your fuel. Unfortunately I learned that the hard way. Much easier to fix before you close everything up. I learned that the hard way too. :(

Keep up the good work!