Trent's FS14 LS Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Trent's FS14 LS Build

Post by TomW1 »

You really need some protection on top of the transom for the motor. A layer of two of fiberglass is fine. It won't show as it will be be painted to match the boat.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

TomW1 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:26 pm You really need some protection on top of the transom for the motor. A layer of two of fiberglass is fine. It won't show as it will be be painted to match the boat.

Tom
This is a good point. Especially if you plan on removing the motor occasionally.

Tom, maybe you can help me understand. Typically you want to overlap existing glass. If I did that the transom edges would have to be smoothed out to lay the glass around the corner. Would you ignore that and just do strips on top or am I missing something?

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Hmm. Fiberglass cap is starting to sound like a good idea. My transom paint has been brutalized in the year since I painted it. I'll have some cleanup work for sure. Drips, dings, etc.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

I guess I could tape it now - upside down - wondering how that would work out :doh:

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Mojosmantra wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:02 pm I guess I could tape it now - upside down - wondering how that would work out :doh:
I'm just going to run a strip. If you're going to wrap around it you should really radius it, but not sure all that's necessary just for abrasion resistance.

Keep in mind that my advice has a track record of being horrible.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

That boat is small enough that flipping it should be a piece of cake. If so I would get it ready for primer and flip it. After the inside is done you can flip it for painting. If doing it that way you can round over the transom and lay a little glass on it. tom is correct in that you need to cover the edge with some glass if for no other reason than to make sure the edge is well sealed.

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

I think you’ve convinced me Fuzz. That seems like the most logical approach. Any particular reason that you would “get it ready” for primer rather than going ahead with the primer and perhaps just leaving the transom for later. Just curious as that would give me some flexibility- because, even though it’s a light boat, I will need a hand and that type of help isn’t always readily available for me.

Hypothetically, I was going through the “what if” process of taping upside down. Rounding the edges would be no problem - less convenient- but not really a problem. For the glass, I assume you would wet it out and let it tack up, stick the glass and then wet the glass? Not sure if gravity would win out in that case (sags, drips, air bubbles) and just create a mess and more work than its worth. I don’t have enough glass experience to know if that’s a terrible idea or not.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

If you are going to do several flips it does not matter when you prime it. Might be better to wait or not I could see advantages for both. I have done a bunch of overhead glass using poly but not too much with epoxy. You have the right idea on how to do it but it is no fun and I avoid doing it if I can.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Mojosmantra wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:25 am I think you’ve convinced me Fuzz. That seems like the most logical approach. Any particular reason that you would “get it ready” for primer rather than going ahead with the primer and perhaps just leaving the transom for later. Just curious as that would give me some flexibility- because, even though it’s a light boat, I will need a hand and that type of help isn’t always readily available for me.

Hypothetically, I was going through the “what if” process of taping upside down. Rounding the edges would be no problem - less convenient- but not really a problem. For the glass, I assume you would wet it out and let it tack up, stick the glass and then wet the glass? Not sure if gravity would win out in that case (sags, drips, air bubbles) and just create a mess and more work than its worth. I don’t have enough glass experience to know if that’s a terrible idea or not.
For me, trying to do that cap upside down while also glassing the transom itself and the joints would be too stressful. I've tried to picture doing it a few ways and none of them leave me confident. You could wrap it and clamp it with some clamping boards covered with packing tape, but trying to get that biax cloth to lie flat on that edge upside down, get it clamped etc would be more than I would sign up for.

Structural cloth needs to overlap but this is just abrasion resistance, so laying a strip of 6 oz cloth over the top after it's flipped should be fine. I'm not sure it's worth waiting on the paint for. You can mask off the transom to catch any drips while you lay the glass, you'll be doing a fair amount of that anyway when you go to glass the deck etc. This also means you don't need to round it and then either re-square it or else live with a rounded over transom top. I'm not sure how easy it will be to accurately/decoratively round over those edges while it's upside down on the jig, I know I wouldn't do a great job of it.

All just food for thought.

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Appreciate all of the input.

On another note, wondering how I’m doing on “newbie” epoxy usage. I’ve finished glassing the outside of the hull per the plans schedule (will post some pics soon). To finish that, I had to open the second gallon of Part A for the final batch of 10 oz. In other words, I’m 10 oz into the second gallon. Do you all have any sense of that? Based on the hardened epoxy that I cleaned out of the bottom of my pots, I’ve probably wasted 16 to 20 ounces overall.