Trent's FS14 LS Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Trent's FS14 LS Build

Post by bamaguy0 »

Awesome work! Can't wait to get mine back over and start detailing her out!

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

That's a lot of work for a small update!

I'm not seeing any issue with the shape of the bow, it looks fine from here. Is the "blemish" obvious to you in the photo?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Not really a “blemish” - just something about the shape that’s not sitting well with me. It could just be that I got used to the sharp point, which I liked a lot but it had to go since I’m using a store bought rub rail.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Understood. Funny how radii can either work or not. I originally had radii on the stern-end corners of my blue "stripe" and HATED it! Made the whole thing look like a giant childs toy(which, ok, maybe it actually is...). But on the bow it was fine and on the non-skid corners it's critical.

"I beladored this and thought about all kinds of jigs for the radii, but in the end just marked a line with a compass, cut the bulk off with a circular saw and finished the shaping with a belt sander and 40-grit paper."

This is how boats get splashed and fish get caught, nicely done!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

The bow looks great to me too, btw. It's about the same as mine. Makes sense since you're going with a off the shelf rub rail. Have you picked one out yet?

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Most likely the Taco 1-1/4”, which is the depth/height of my rubrail. Depending on the height of the bottom “lip”, it should give me about 1/2” of exposed deck above. Taco doesn’t provide the lip dimension, which is frustrating and makes for a bit of guesswork unless you buy it in advance.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Gotcha, I already have mine on hand for that exact purpose. It's the 1-1/16 x 11/16 and that lip is about 1/8 thick.

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

bamaguy0 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:09 pm Awesome work! Can't wait to get mine back over and start detailing her out!
Thanks. Really enjoying the topside work, which is where the design and customizing and thinking about how it will really be used seems to happen - at least on a simple hull like this one. I’ve already changed a few things from what I had on paper.

I’m admiring all the finish work you’ve been doing but also kind of dreading all the fairing, sanding and the search for perfection. I also want to first paint my lockers before I flip - just to get a feel for the paint, the process and how much of an issue dust and mosquitoes will be for me since I’m working in the open air. Of course, the longer I wait, the worse the bug problem will be. And then there’s the fact that I can’t seem to decide on a color...

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

If I'm being honest I'm losing a bit of steam working on the bottom side. I'm the same as you with the topside work. It's more appreciable and I feel like I can get more accomplished in a day. Especially where I'm at now, I don't make much progress each day, but it has to get done to keep moving forward.

For reference, I had a color picked out for a few months before I ordered paint. Changed my mind right before I ordered. I'm still happy with it though!

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

I forgot to mention this - I have been using System Three products exclusively and have been more than happy with them and have zero complaints. Some time ago, when placing an order for some additional taping glass, I also ordered some epoxy knowing that I would need it eventually - and I accidentally ordered Marinepoxy. When I realized that, my only concern was making sure there were no compatibility issues, which Reid laid to rest and then mentioned that he would like to know what I thought about it. Well I just cracked into it a few days ago to do a final neat coat in the cavities that will receive foam. I couldn’t tell much of a difference. I think it felt slightly different when mixing - in a good way. Seemed a little “silkier” and slightly thicker when mixing (perhaps that might make wetting out some glass slightly more difficult, but I doubt it). Otherwise it behaved much like the S3 stuff. Keep in mind my very limited experience, but at a lower cost and assuming any differences in strength are negligible, I won’t hesitate to purchase it again.

Just putting that out there for anyone looking to save a few bucks.