Trent's FS14 LS Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Trent's FS14 LS Build

Post by VT_Jeff »

Mojosmantra wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:39 am Appreciate all of the input.

On another note, wondering how I’m doing on “newbie” epoxy usage. I’ve finished glassing the outside of the hull per the plans schedule (will post some pics soon). To finish that, I had to open the second gallon of Part A for the final batch of 10 oz. In other words, I’m 10 oz into the second gallon. Do you all have any sense of that? Based on the hardened epoxy that I cleaned out of the bottom of my pots, I’ve probably wasted 16 to 20 ounces overall.
Seaslug said he used like 13. I'm in the 9 range. Gallons. (gulp)
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

I've bought 9 Gallons worth so far and started my last Part A jug taping my console this weekend.

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Hey Guys - this is going to be a marathon post, since I haven't posted in a while but have covered a good bit of ground in the last couple of weeks since I had some time off. Wasn't sure if I should post all at once or break it down into separate posts - but all at once is easier. My last update was fixing my dimensional screw-up of the shear line, re-stitching and spot welding. Since then:

Making sure the keel is straight before final glue-up"

Glued and sanded seams:

Taped seams:

Laying out the cloth. Not sure if I was supposed to wrap the transom like this, but I did. I suspect that I wasn't since I'm a little shy on wide fabric now (coming soon):

Got it all glassed thanks to help from my wife. Thought I could do it myself but she was willing and able and in hindsight, glad she was. I think I would have gotten into trouble alone.

I did end up with a couple of bubbles along the chine. Saw it as we were wetting it out, but couldn't get it out regardless of what we tried. So had to let it go and had to grind it out/retape next day:

Thinking about a keel/skeg - not convinced yet, but thinking this would be the layout - tapering from bow to stern, stopping short of the transom by 18" per plan suggestion. I like a boat that tracks, but also don't want to lose 1.5" in draft. Any thoughts on that?

First round of quick fair - filling the weave. Think I should buy some stock in that stuff. Afterwards, I found Jeff's self critique that he started with Quick Fair to soon - ditto for me, but what's done is done:

Second round of Quick Fair - focusing on the seams/tape overlaps, drywall style. That's something I do have quite a bit of experience with.

Made myself a loooooong board. For the initial fairing, I wanted a board that spanned keel to chine to make sure my first pass was flat and revealed the low spots:

Fairing - round one:

Marked and scuffed the low spots:

Fairing - round two:

Taking Fuzz's advice to flip before paint so that I can address the top of the transom. First had to move it to make some table/strongback adjustments:

Lowered the strongback from 36" to 24". I wasn't going to be able to reach the center of the boat after the flip. Also created some form-fitting blocking, taking care to locate it so that it would clear the framing for the next flip. Please don't look to closely at the carpentry - power went out due to a sailboat coming loose from its mooring and getting tied up in the power lines along the seven mile bridge.

Anyway, all hand sawn and my hand saw sucks:

Flipped!:

Cleaned up the inside of the hull and layed out and cut the glass last night. Ready for the next round.

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

BTW - I have more fairing to do, but ran out of Quick Fair, so will have another go at it after the next flip

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Mojosmantra wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:17 am BTW - I have more fairing to do, but ran out of Quick Fair, so will have another go at it after the next flip
Bravo dude, that was TEXTBOOK! Everything looking really clean, very well done! Getting all those layers to lay down on the chines is a real chore. If that's the worst of it in your photo, then that's a huge W.

You did the right thing wrapping the transom, I think the BOM is a little short on the fabric. I went light in the inside and did not run it up the sides as far as specced.

Really happy to see you got past that measurement snafu so quickly, great news that those panels were too wide and not to narrow, much simpler fix.

BTW, after I blew though my initial order, I got a 3qt kit of quickfar and a 3qt kit of Gelmagic and I use it like a rick kid. I found myself being stingy with it and then realized that it was an insane place to be cheap. And I know cheap, believe me!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Holy cow great progress!

Regarding the skeg, I had the same concern about losing draft. I fabricated strakes out of angle aluminum used as molds, pouring in mixed epoxy with milled glass.

I probably should have made mine longer for any real effect, but you might want to consider something similar. They're no lower than the keel of the hull.

I too wrapped the entire transom which I think is what is called for. I did run short on the inside, but had enough trimmings left over to compensate. I put it in the bow forward of Frame A with generous overlapping.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Holy sh*t, that is clean!

Nice work!

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Dang guys - thanks. It helps that I had a week off work and got to focus on it.

Cameron - finish up those rubrails so I can cheat off of you. I really like the approach.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Trying for 2nd strip on stbd side tonight!

I only have enough clamps for one side at a time. That was another reason I went with this Thixo Fast Cure adhesive.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Trent,

Something occured to me in regard to your quickfair comment in your marathon post. I learned later, and maybe never went back and mentioned it, that what I should have done before starting to fair was sand down the stitching. The stitching is what is really proud and requires a ton of material to fill. Sand it until you start hitting actual glass, which runs 45 degrees to the stitching.

Just wanted to note it for future builders using this thread as a guide.

Build on!

Jeff