Trent's FS14 LS Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Trent's FS14 LS Build

Post by Mojosmantra »

Yes Jeff, absolutely - a good bit of info for future builders.

I learned that same lesson by running out of the quick fair 3/4 through the first coat. Had to order more, and therefore sanded the last quarter of the hull and the already laid quick fair edges to ensure good adhesion. That's when I learned that you needed MUCH less after the stitching had a light sanding. And then I'm came across that same advice in an earlier post of yours that I wish I would have seen - or seeked out - earlier.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Yep sand it down until you start seeing the cross hatch in the glass. you do not want to go any more than that and cut into the glass. At that point Cracker Larry always liked to use a loose mix of resin and the BBC fairing compound to fill the weave and seal things up. doing that will also cut down on the QuickFair use.

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Got the inside glassed and hope to install the stringers tomorrow night. No pics yet, but coming soon.

In the meantime, thought I'd post some material usage "pointers" for first time builders (like me) that might help them plan - things I would have liked to have known starting out. Don't know if this is good advice or not, but it's what I have experienced (someone please correct me if I'm giving bad advice):

Epoxy usage: I've just finished with the "kit" supplied epoxy (2 gals). It got me through the outside and inside glassing, including the butt splices on the stringers and hull panels. I glassed the entire outside of the hull, which is beyond plan spec. The inside is to plan spec. Don't really know if my usage is good or bad, just where I am. I have the stringers and frames left to tape, as well as any add-ons and the deck, depending on how I decide to handle that. There's probably more that I haven't realized yet.

More on epoxy usage: Generally, I have found that the following epoxy batches work well without much waste:
- Taping: 9 ounce batches work well for the first layers of keel & chine, each. This includes both wetting out the ply and the glass. Second layers, if wet-on-wet, can be done with 6 ounce batches. Use your judgement on shorter tapes (eg transom, etc.)
- Wide Fabric: 54 ounces for each, as follows: 21 ounces for the ply wet-out. 21 ounces for the bulk of the glass wet-out. After that, it's a judgement call, but on average, another 12 ounces to get it fully saturated.

Gloves and mixing sticks: Buy A LOT of gloves and mixing sticks (tongue depressors). I've been through 100 of each so far. I double glove so I can easily discard the top layer if things start getting too messy. Also avoids trying to put a new glove on a sweaty hand. I typically have new gloves on for every epoxy batch - might be overkill, but it keeps things from getting too sloppy.

Spreaders: I bought a bunch, but have only used 2 so far. As long as your mindful about cleaning them up, they last. You don't need a ton of these.

Rollers: I like them for wetting out the ply for wide sheets - not much else. Once they get sticky, if you use them to wet out the glass - they'll pull it up. There are probably folks that disagree, but it doesn't work for me.

Glass bubble rollers: I have two - a 3" and a 6". I expected to use them often and I do, but could probably get by without them. Good to have, but not absolutely necessary. Maybe I'll change my mind at some point.

Chip brushes: Buy a lot. I use a lot - not as many as I thought I would, but still a lot. Think I bought a box of 50 and that might be a good number for the entire build.

System Three stuff:
- Quick Fair: you'll need more
- Gel-magic: you'll need more
- EZ fillet: Not sure on this yet

BTW - very happy with the System Three stuff. I can't compare it to anything, but it's been super easy to use.

Anyway, hope that helps some future builder put a shopping list together.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

If you have gotten this far with only two gallons of epoxy you have done very well! From what I can tell most builders need to start with double what the plans call for. New builders waste some and we all seem to add a bunch of stuff not called for in the plans.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Great pointers! I wish I would have tracked usage a little better in the early days. I let the excitement of the work distract me from that a bit.

I do know on top of using all of the fairing filler mix I got from BBC, I went through 1-1/2 3 quart kits of QuikFair on my hull. I'm thinking I'll need another kit to finish the inside. I'll probably use the remaining half kit I have on my console.

Hindsight being 20/20...I decided to go with a light coverage of 6oz biax all the way up the outside hull. The tape was the perfect width so that's what I used. What that led to was a significant amount of filling even after sanding down the stitching because the strands are so spread out. Lots of QuikFair was used in that. Would have been better to get some woven fabric if I wanted to do that again.

I do plan to list all the materials I bought and how much I have left at the end, though.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Nice work with the analysis Trent, you're doing the future builders a great service.

I don't want this on my build thread where I'll be reminded of it but I'll gladly post it on yours:

4.5 qts of qickfair
4.5 qts of Gelmagic,
1.5 qts of EZ Fillet,
somewhere between 6-8 gallons of Epoxy I think, I've kind of lost track on that.
A few quarts of wood flour.
In addition to the glass in the BOM I used maybe 100 total sq feet of 4oz and 6oz woven glass for the deck and sole.

Guesstimates on this stuff:
probably 4-5 boxes of gloves(still have to paint the deck)
6 rolls paper towels
6 rolls packing tape
6 rolls wide blue masking tape
4 sleeves plastic cocktail glasses(I like these for super-small batches and re-use when I can)
6 sleeves Red Solo Cups
few hundred mixing sticks, large and small
Box of large garbage bags
30-40 chip brushes
dozen bondo squegees
20-30 foam brushes
probably 100 sheets of sandpaper. I buy boxes of 20 and have to think I've used 5.
gallon of acetone
1-2 gallons of paint thinner and counting
probably a gallon of TotalBoat topside paint so far
few ounces of graphite
100' 12-2 tinned wire
12-16 board feet of Doug Fir
1-2 extra sheet of 6mm ply(I think I bought one extra and had some leftover from previous build)

Total cost? Don't want to know, ever. I sold my '87 Grady White Tournament 19' last summer so I could just get what I needed for this build and not overly sweat the cost. :( I was too cheap to put gas in it anyway.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

I've been keeping a cost tally of materials and hardware. It's been a while since I updated though. I'm afraid to see what it is at this point!

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

bamaguy0 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:34 am I've been keeping a cost tally of materials and hardware. It's been a while since I updated though. I'm afraid to see what it is at this point!
Yeah, if I add in the other costs(fuel tank, fuel line, lights, hinges, hardware,steering, etc) it will add up quick.

Since it's looking more and more like insurance is harder to get, it may not matter in the end.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Probably a question for Jacques:

I'm debating between a deck hatch that accesses the bow compartment (forward of Frame A) vs. an access hole in Frame A that would be accessible from a deck hatch aft of Frame A. If I did the latter, what are the minimum dimensions I need to maintain at Fame A? For instance, the sketch below maintains a minimum of 3" all around the access hole. Would this be acceptable? Can the access hole be larger (preferably taller)?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

A little taller is OK, with a 2" offset.
You could go for a 2" offset all around if your fiberglass taping is well done.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com