Insurance

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Insurance

Post by Netpackrat »

Have any of you guys tried Hagerty?

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Netpackrat wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:35 am Have any of you guys tried Hagerty?
They are on my list for this week. I’m hoping they are not managing marine like auto. When I looked at there auto policy we are extremely limited in how much you can drive. Basically making a car a trailer Queen vs a usable vehicle.

I have to contact some companies today for work so I hope to get more info soon.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

All, Hagerty is continuing to insure custom/home made boats. I spoke with them yesterday. Here is their information:

Hagerty Insurance
Marine Division

I am continuing my research and will circle back with more information. Jeff

wwsmith
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wwsmith »

Thanks, Jeff. That's good to know. One agent tried Hagerty for me with no luck. We're currently trying American Modern. They took my money...we'll see what happens in a few weeks after their underwriters pick through it all. Will keep yall posted.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

wwsmith, I am continuing research and will get back to you guys with some results by the end of the week. Glad you have likely found a insurance group!!! Please put the contact information for American Modern. Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Hagerty is the only group that seems to be handling the self built/repair (salvage) and old boats so far b
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

I just got a quote from Hagerty. 212/year for 6000 agreed value. I need to see if we can split that at 2500 for the motor and 3500 for the hull. The breakdown is:

$122 Damage insurance
$50 liability
$20 uninsured boater
$20 towing

Here's the jist of my application, what I filled out
MyApp.PNG
Here's their processed version that was included with my quote, you can see they changed my hull material to just "wood":
Capture.PNG
Progressive wanted $100/year for just liability, so I think this is a pretty good deal.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

This is what I submitted for photos with my application.
20191215_075135.jpg
20200707_205129.jpg
20210524_104855.jpg
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

VT_Jeff, thank you for posting the insurance information. I also spoke with Hagerty and they confirmed they are happy to insure our boats!! They did say they require a Boat Design for their evaluation process. Did they require you to submit a copy of the plans?? Jeff

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jeff wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:34 am Did they require you to submit a copy of the plans?? Jeff
They did not, at least not yet. I'm still at the quote stage though, we'll see if the going gets tougher from here.