Insurance

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Insurance

Post by Dougster »

I keep liability with Progressive only on my LB22. If stolen/sunk/smashed I'll just walk away...provided I can :) I think of small boats as toys whose loss can be eaten. The bigger builds and $$ expended make a different story, so this is a good thread.

Dougster

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

wwsmith, I am going to do some research on the HIN issue as well as talk to a few insurance providers and provide the members a summary. Before I start, did the State of Texas not issue you a title with a HIN/VIN number on it? Jeff

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

This is strange. I have two boats, a GF16 with a state issued HIN and a very old (1974) small fiberglass trawler designed by Jack Hargrave, old HIN from a company that does not exist anymore.
They are insured by Geico and I paid my premium a few weeks ago, no problem.
Each is insured not only for liability but also for a set value (I don't know the exact term) in case of loss.
They are also listed under an umbrella insurance.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

wwsmith
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wwsmith »

Thanks, Jeff! Yes, I have a title with the ID number on it. Texas Parks and Wildlife inspects the boat, installs HID numbers, then issues the title. But I suppose at that point, the ID is recorded as being "state-issued" and not issued by a manufacturer.

I'd be happy to have the boat surveyed if that made the insurance companies happy, but even that doesn't seem to help.

wwsmith
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wwsmith »

Geico insured my LM18. When I called them to insure my new boat, they informed me that they were no longer insuring these boats. I asked about my existing boat and they said they will grandfather in all the existing boats, just no more new ones.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

jacquesmm wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:40 am This is strange. I have two boats, a GF16 with a state issued HIN and a very old (1974) small fiberglass trawler designed by Jack Hargrave, old HIN from a company that does not exist anymore.
Each is insured not only for liability but also for a set value (I don't know the exact term) in case of loss.
Agreed.

Strictly from an actuarial perspective, I would prefer to insure a guy who built his own boat and passed a survey 5 times over someone who wrote a check. People are almost always more careful when they built something nice. However, I have seen people build junk for which they can be careless. But nothing a surveyor would be involved with...
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

wwsmith wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:03 am To clarify - progressive offered to provide liability only, but we need full coverage.
This is really all I'm after. I'd like to see it insured for damage while towing but I could live with just liability.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Progressive will do liability-only for me for $100.00/year, just gave them my CC#. Will just need to make sure that if something happens to the boat, it's not my fault. What could go wrong?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

jacquesmm wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:40 am This is strange. I have two boats, a GF16 with a state issued HIN and a very old (1974) small fiberglass trawler designed by Jack Hargrave, old HIN from a company that does not exist anymore.
Jacques Geico has grandfathered all of their previous insured boats at least for now. They are no longer insuring any new boats.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

TomW1 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:44 pm
Jacques Geico has grandfathered all of their previous insured boats at least for now. They are no longer insuring any new boats.

Tom
I’m beginning to see cancellations of contracts due to age for preexisting customers (previously grandfathered). I’ll look for things that are common on the cancellation notices to see if there is something beyond just “old boat”.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.