Insurance

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Insurance

Post by TomW1 »

alex2293 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:06 pm Good news! It looks like Safe Harbour can underwrite Pacific Marine in Quebec.

They told me that they insure custom built boats, but they need a copy of a marine survey done by a certified marine inspector.

I told them that I was planning to build a boat frome Boat Builder Central plans. I specified that is a fiberglass/epoxy/marine plywood hull.

They can't confirm they will insure without having a look at the marine survey. I guess I have to take a leap of faith.

I think I'll ask Safe Harbour for a marine inspector reference in my region. I'd like to know what to look for during the build.

Thanks
Alex

Thanks.
Alex don't mention plywood, it is a fiberglass composite boat. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

blueflood
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by blueflood »

Hi all,

I was just shopping around for boat insurance as well. MD Marine / Hagerty in Ontario are willing to insure but I do need Penny to be officially surveyed beforehand, which I will get done.

All Bateau.com info, photos, build thread etc was provided to them so they had no issues to insure. Another company turned me down because of being home-built.

I will still shop around for another quote however. MD quote is $600 which covers loss and liability.

Marc

APLJaK
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by APLJaK »

FWIW from a Canadian experience.

I went to try and insure my newly launched CX19 at an agency run by a firend of mine. Right off the bat I was told Accredited Marine Survey required before anyone would touch it. SAMS https://www.marinesurvey.org/ survey seems to be the only option. Luckily, I have a SAMS surveyor close by. The survey took half a day and cost me about $400 ($20/foot) plus travel expenses. The actual survey document is pretty nice to have and quite comprehensive considering it is non invasive.

I provided lots of construction pictures and details. I also was very careful to follow all ABYC building rules that I could find. (safety equipment properly installed, all wiring run neatly and properly fused, fuel system intact and all connections double clamped, one bilge pump on 24hr circuit, etc.). There was still some minor issues that I have to take care of.

As far as the Hull ID number, you need one! I made my own and attached it as per requirements (upper starboard stern) stamped on an aluminum plate and semi-permanently attached to the hull. I used the basic syntax for a manufactured hull ABC 12345 A1 21 where the first three letters are the manufacturer code, the next five are the hull serial number and the A1 is the month/year of construction and the 21 is the model year. Of course, you will likely not have an assigned manufacturer code, so in my case I made it up. The Marine Surveyor used my serial number in his report without pause.

FWIW, I also have this number in various locations throughout the boat so that if it ever does go missing, I can positively identify it.

So far, it seems that I have satisfied my insurance agent. I still do not actually have insurance so I may come up against an issue yet. If nothing else, the marine survey gives a nice unbiased report as to boat condition at time of the survey.

Hope some of this helps someone.

APLJaK
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by APLJaK »

A couple of sentences from my Marine Survey that I am very proud of and hope help in valuation and insuring of the boat:

"This boat has been custom built off professional boat plans with a HIGH degree of professionalism and attention to detail."

"Each layer is individually laminated, and all air voids/hull cavities have been injected with foam, creating an incredibly watertight buoyant hull that will outlast any current-day production molded, polyester based fiberglass hull."

At least the second comment is a reflection on the excellent design of these boats and makes me very happy I chose the CX19.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

APLJaK wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:08 pm A couple of sentences from my Marine Survey that I am very proud of and hope help in valuation and insuring of the boat:

"This boat has been custom built off professional boat plans with a HIGH degree of professionalism and attention to detail."

"Each layer is individually laminated, and all air voids/hull cavities have been injected with foam, creating an incredibly watertight buoyant hull that will outlast any current-day production molded, polyester based fiberglass hull."

At least the second comment is a reflection on the excellent design of these boats and makes me very happy I chose the CX19.
Now that is a positive review! Awesome!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

That part of the survey needs to be framed and hung on your wall :!:

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

Or do you just apply for your own manufacturers code 🤪
https://uscgboating.org/manufacturers/?m=m

Good info though! thanks for sharing.

edited for grsmmer 🤦‍♂️
APLJaK wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:47 pm FWIW from a Canadian experience.

I went to try and insure my newly launched CX19 at an agency run by a firend of mine. Right off the bat I was told Accredited Marine Survey required before anyone would touch it. SAMS https://www.marinesurvey.org/ survey seems to be the only option. Luckily, I have a SAMS surveyor close by. The survey took half a day and cost me about $400 ($20/foot) plus travel expenses. The actual survey document is pretty nice to have and quite comprehensive considering it is non invasive.

I provided lots of construction pictures and details. I also was very careful to follow all ABYC building rules that I could find. (safety equipment properly installed, all wiring run neatly and properly fused, fuel system intact and all connections double clamped, one bilge pump on 24hr circuit, etc.). There was still some minor issues that I have to take care of.

As far as the Hull ID number, you need one! I made my own and attached it as per requirements (upper starboard stern) stamped on an aluminum plate and semi-permanently attached to the hull. I used the basic syntax for a manufactured hull ABC 12345 A1 21 where the first three letters are the manufacturer code, the next five are the hull serial number and the A1 is the month/year of construction and the 21 is the model year. Of course, you will likely not have an assigned manufacturer code, so in my case I made it up. The Marine Surveyor used my serial number in his report without pause.

FWIW, I also have this number in various locations throughout the boat so that if it ever does go missing, I can positively identify it.

So far, it seems that I have satisfied my insurance agent. I still do not actually have insurance so I may come up against an issue yet. If nothing else, the marine survey gives a nice unbiased report as to boat condition at time of the survey.

Hope some of this helps someone.