HMD19 Transom Saver or not ?

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
blueflood
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

HMD19 Transom Saver or not ?

Post by blueflood »

Hi all,

Penny HMD19 is nearing completion with the outboard break-in period coming up at end of summer hopefully. The Mercury 9.9 Pro Kicker XL shaft, electric trim / tilt is rigged but it is a long outboard and weighing 110 lbs. The trim tab is almost touching the ground at motor full down position. Obviously it will have to be tilted up during transporting. I looked at transom savers to install in order to reduce shock and stresses but the last trailer cross beam is so far forward of the transom which makes it very difficult to attach on the cross beam to the lower unit.

I only plan to travel from home to marina a few times (30 kms back roads) but a longer trip is required where I will permanently moor her in Montreal (120 kms highway)

So..is a transom saver required for a few short trips ? The boat / transom is solidly built which can no doubt take some abuse but safety is also important and of course unseen transom damage which can be a problem down the road. I do not want to damage the outboard otherwise.

Anyone know of other methods to secure the outboard in the up position ?

Marc

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: HMD19 Transom Saver or not ?

Post by TomW1 »

blueflood I think this is what you are looking for. It can extend almost 5'(59") under the boat and tilts the motor up. This one is from Overton's but most marine supply companies have them. https://www.overtons.com/adjustable-fra ... ccessories

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

You don't need a transom saver for a 9.9. The transom bears all the load almost straight down. I have a Merc 50 4 stroke, 240 pounds and that thing always rides in the up on tang position. The only issue is the tang has fatigued over 16 years of sometimes Canadian logging roads. A well built and reinforced with a splashwell transom doesn't need that nuisance.

If you head down a Canadian logging road with a 150hp 400 pound engine; it is always a good idea to stop the movements.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Even if the transom is over built, the contact points that hold the motor tilted or trimmed will wear quickly. Our canoe uses just a 5.0HP motor that weights in at 57 pounds we still secure the motor so it doesn't have a chance to bounce. The longer it gets to bounce around the more those areas will become weaker and wallow out causing even more play.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

Marc,

I do not use a transom saver on my Tohatsu9.8 on my HMD19. Yoda had bought one, and started to install it. However the trailer that i have is a super goofy "sailboat" trailer where the two main cross members pivot to allow the bunks to conform to the curved hull. This means that as the trailer goes down the road and hits bumps the area that would support the transom saver moves and would then bounce the outboard continuously as a result.

My alternative that seems to be working well, (over 1000 miles of towing so far this year over shitty california roads) is to run a ratchet strap from the rear cleats at the top of the transom wrapping it under the cav plate and cranking it down just enough to pull the weight off the support pins in the outboard. I have never seen anyone else do it quite like this, but there aren't a lot of other boats just like an HMD19.

On the flip side, i think you'll be fine without it. I'll try to get a picture up later of my setup. Most folks with small kicker motors on their powerboats don't run transom savers, they also generally are able to trailer with the kicker in the down position though.

Phil

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Great, thanks for the feedback guys. No transom saver then. I will post latest build photos soon.

Marc

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

blueflood wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:33 am Great, thanks for the feedback guys. No transom saver then. I will post latest build photos soon.

Marc
Okay just make sure you have about 3-4" between the motor and the road so you don't bounce the motor off it.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

TomW1 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:04 pm
blueflood wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:33 am Great, thanks for the feedback guys. No transom saver then. I will post latest build photos soon.

Marc
Okay just make sure you have about 3-4" between the motor and the road so you don't bounce the motor off it.

Tom
More than 4". If you go off a hilly drive or curb; 3" is trouble. Keep the motor tilted. Backing into the sea, a dropped motor can also catch in shalllow waters. I swped a boat once when a 25hp caught bottom and sent the boat up and filled the back in horrid rough incoming sea.

8" minimum off the flat road I'd say

Apologies to Tom here. Always easier to correct than speak.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Someone smacked a motor that was 24” off the ground at the marina. Know your surroundings or you buy lower units.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Fallguy and Jaysen make excellent points that you need to take into account. I said 3-4" but should have said 4-6". I trailer my 75HP with and it is 9" above the road. My ramp is pretty steep so I tilt it up when I get to the marina. With your XL shaft I do not know how high you will be above the road.

Tom