SK14 Build in NC

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: SK14 Build in NC

Post by VT_Jeff »

I can't comment on foam but here's a photo tip: edit your photos in your phone before you post them, just crop it a little bit, and it will usually post with the correct orientation. Someone gave me that tip and it's been working for me ever since, don't know why.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

You can also "fix it" by using either of the gallery options provided by BBC. a bit more work for the poster but a lot of functionality added.

I know ... I sound like a broken record.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

huckleberry
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by huckleberry »

Here’s a test upload/photo of my grab rail caddy. Tried cropping it on my iPhone.
E88BB19F-FF56-42F1-B7C6-953B2430D145.jpeg

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Looks great except I don't see any cup-holders!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

huckleberry
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by huckleberry »

They’ll be on the side of the cooler!
As I’m sure you know, at this stage I seem to be getting in my own way more than anything. Spent more time than I’d like to admit just thinking about how I want to set everything up and customize it.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

huckleberry wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:56 am They’ll be on the side of the cooler!
As I’m sure you know, at this stage I seem to be getting in my own way more than anything. Spent more time than I’d like to admit just thinking about how I want to set everything up and customize it.
Oh yeah! Goes from "Gee, it's sure nice to have something to keep my mind occupied" to "PLEASE GET OUT OF MY HEAD AND LET ME SLEEP!" pretty quickly.

Paralysis by analysis, very common side-effect of the BBV(boat builder virus).

I do really like your post: one thing my boat lacks is any kind of handy tool storage, it's something I'm working on.

huckleberry
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by huckleberry »

No joke! I definitely have the BBV.

I went round and round on how I wanted to do some sort of storage/catch all built off the grab rail. Boat Outfitters makes a really awesome looking “SUP Leaning Post Gear Caddy” that’s designed for the BOTE tackle rac. I contemplated ordering one and modifying it to my grab rail, but there weren’t any dimensions or cut sheets online and I didn’t feel like possibly burning $120 if it didn’t work out. After ordering some starboard I abandoned the idea of trying to replicate it on my own and ended up with the picture above. It was cheap and easy to make and will do for now. Fish finder will mount to the shelf at the top. Might build some sort of padded back rest on the other side to mount on the same p clamps for whoever may be sitting on the cooler.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Really well done!! Jeff

huckleberry
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by huckleberry »

Rubrails glued on and rough sanded. Got the second 2lb kit of foam done today. There’s a few low spots but nothing too bad.
I didn’t have enough to the two small triangular sections closest to the bow.

Should I order another 1lb kit and foam these as well? Or could I call it good enough?

Maybe fill them with pool noodles? Thinking maybe “foam-support” for the sole isn’t too critical here since they’re the smallest sections with the least distance between cleats?
E82F19D4-3ABD-461C-9DB7-A43C1D8D966B.jpeg
9EEB2EE1-F5FC-41AA-942E-442DF172A117.jpeg
380211BD-784C-4769-B88E-2567905C6EB2.jpeg
C1D841DB-FCF8-41B3-AC6B-FF83E669A11D.jpeg

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

How thick is the sole? If 4mm I would install a doubler. If 6mm, your probably good.

Looking good and I like the console idea!