Steve's PH22

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Steve's PH22

Post by Jeff »

All, this thread has taken a negative tone and I just want all to know that Steve is working directly with Jacques regarding the lamination schedule(s) in attempt to meet Steve’s requirements. Your continued comments are welcome as long as they are positive and don’t take further aggressive tone. Our forum is here to support all but when a question is asked of Jacques, please give home time to respond back with a thorough answer. Steve is now in direct coordination with Jacques and I am comfortable they will reach a good conclusion!!! Thank you, Jeff

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

I am interested in this build. I want the boat to do 30mph top speed with 800# pax. Any idea what power it'd need?

Gonna go read the thread more.

Oh, I remember now, this is a foam build.

Does BBC offer cnc cutting of the divinycell? I am a few years away.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Yes, we can CNC foam for you as long as it is the standard Jacques plans!!! Or if you have your own DXF Files we can cut for you!!! Jeff

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

So, it this hull built on male stations or on it's final bulkheads and some sacrificial jigs?

How does it not lose shape when flipped?

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Question for Jacques FallGuy!!!! Sorry, Jeff

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jeff wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:10 pm Question for Jacques FallGuy!!!! Sorry, Jeff
Jacques, if you could reply, I'd appreciate it. I am trying to wrap my head around the how and would be happy to help Steve. Sorry to mess around on the thread. I actually have a ton of questions for Steve as well. Like is this going to be hand laid glass?

ProfzrX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ProfzrX »

[/img][/img][/img]
Jeff wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:24 pm All, this thread has taken a negative tone and I just want all to know that Steve is working directly with Jacques regarding the lamination schedule(s) in attempt to meet Steve’s requirements. Your continued comments are welcome as long as they are positive and don’t take further aggressive tone. Our forum is here to support all but when a question is asked of Jacques, please give home time to respond back with a thorough answer. Steve is now in direct coordination with Jacques and I am comfortable they will reach a good conclusion!!! Thank you, Jeff
Thank you, Jeff, I concur.

Tom, none was taken if I came across as abrasive I also apologize, I didn't want what I needed from Jac to be lost in conversations or others just throwing out what they thought was best. LOL. I hope it didn't come across as I was devaluing or discrediting your knowledge, that was not my intention. The reason I am here is to be able to get advice from knowledgeable builders like yourself. I was never under the impression that I would be able to accomplish what I want to do without some modifications. As I stated earlier I have had extensive conversations with Jeff, Reid, and also Jac (pre-retirement) prior to even buying the plans on how to build this hull (wood free) and safely accomplish this with the HP I am wanting. Honestly, this has been about 2-3 years in the making for me LOL.

If I may explain a little further in detail here about what I want from this build. My career is in pre-hospital critical care flight medicine so I apologize if I don't elaborate as well as others lol. I've been programmed to obtain or deliver as much information as possible with as few words as possible and unfortunately, this also carries over into my personal interaction. Anyhoo, Just because I have a 250hp doesn't mean I'll be using its full potential in every condition, Hell if I could put a yamy 450Hp on it I probably would. I'm a, rather have it and not need it over need it and not have it kind of guy. I have designed the layout of this boat for the main purpose of fishing. But it will also be used for other water sports such as wakeboarding, tubing, kneeboarding, scalloping, diving ect. On the same token, I plan on getting back into inshore fishing tournaments, which means if I'm even 2mph faster than the next guy I'm getting to the honey hole first. Anyone who fishes shotgun tournaments knows this could mean 10K in prize $ or $0. I fish the big bend area in the GOM, a good day is glass and an average day is 1-2' chop depending on winds and tides. I don't believe I'll get 70mph out of this hull. I have added up the total weight with what I'll be equipping this boat with and it's right in line with my buddy's gulfshore 22' (what I'll be mirroring this hull and layout from. I'll attach a pic also) he sees mid 50's with tournament weight.

*Fallguy, my original plan was to use sacrificial jigs, laid out per plans secured to a level 4'x21' frame with vertical posts and horizontal braces from bulkhead to bulkhead. then recess out each bulkhead with a router every 4-6" so that I could run 1"x4" SYP or PVC board flush with bulkhead frame for the foam to lay on. Then build out a horizontal platform to give me 6-8" past the edge of the gunwale. I was going to use this "lip" as a way to build a mold for my rub rail to attach to glass. I also had planned on using the vacuum bag method so it would also give me a sealing point for the tape or just hand lay glass. I will say I really like the idea of using cheap foam and making a glass skin then building it up. Depending on what that lamination schedule will consist of I may even..............Brace yourself, build a female mole using the same methods as mentioned above only in reverse then using something like formica board for the glass to lay on as that already has somewhat of a wax finish to it, I'm sure Ill need to add a little more though. How about that for a curveball LOL.

Holy Essay LOL. As always I appreciate any feedback. Thanks. This is the finish look I'll be going for.
Attachments
GS22.jpg

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Great looking boat - but I can't imagine sitting up there doing 70 mph! 8O :help: :lol:

PS: Interesting looking power-poles! :D

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Well, for sure, there needs to be some clarity about how to keep the hull true.

I apologize, I don't follow the plan for sacrificials. Doing the boat as a female is nice, but requires either prelaminating everything or flipping multiple times.

I'll keep watching. Offer what help I can..

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Steve this is TomW sounds like you have Jacques working on this off Forum so I have more to give you at this point. I am not an expert in foam and the laminations required so will leave you Jacques capable hands. However as you get the boat close to completion, give me a ring and I will help get the best prop for your motor and boat. Have been doing it for nearly 15 years for the guys on here and usually can hit it on the first calculation or be off by one pitch. Since you are going to be running at high speed and fishing shallow water, I will recommend a 4 blade prop. They do a couple of things, they help maintain straight line steering, in shallow water you can raise them an 1" or two to allow you to get a little skinnier, if you have a jack plate.

Well I will keep watching and once you start if I have any suggestions I will make them.

Until then regards, and red seas at night.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978