Page 1 of 1

OD16 - Inshallah almost done! :P

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:12 pm
by DrBones
Well folks, I've got the engine mounted and rigged! I glued the center console down and still need to put fillets on the center console at the floor line (I'm not sure if I'll put fiberglass tape there or not... I'll take your input)

Here some pics:

Since she's been sitting in my carport, I need to wash the interior down and do some touch up painting on the outside..scratches, etc. But nothing big:

Since I bought a 1988 40 HP Johnson outboard with side mount controls, I ended up fabricating an aluminum mount for that. Buddy of mine had some 1/4" aluminum sheets and we sawed it to a template that I'd made and then bent it with a sheet metal bender. - Arrgh, what a job that was..isn't that easy bending 1/4" aluminum by pure muscle power!

I also got a used helm and teleflex steering cable for $25...but unfortunately I broke off the socket that the teleflex steering screws to on the helm - it's a plastic helm. So, right now I've got a bid going on eBay for a 'new' one..cross your fingers!

I used a PVC adapter for the teleflex steering, I had to do this separate, since it's just not flexible enough to go through the side as the rest of the cables. Here I used a boot from Stickershock Marine at $10.00 ...ridiculous for a piece of plastic and a zip tie! - Oh well, looks nice though :P

Now... I need to call the friendly FWC inspector and get a tag for the trailer. Since I'm on @#$%#$ on-call until who-knows-when, I'll probably won't be able to splash until two or three weeks from now. I just hope it isn't too cold then here! :P

Close

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:20 pm
by Troutlet
Well look at you!! You are VERY close now. The engine looks good, and I'll bet it feels good having it all assembled now.

In my opinion, go ahead and fillet the console down. You'd be pissed if you hit a wave and put a bunch of weight on the concole and it seperated 8O .

Oh and I uh outbid you on that helm. WHy? just because I'm jealous cause mines not done yet.
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/

:lol: just kidding about the ebay thing :lol: :lol:

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:13 pm
by CHarris
She's looking good Doc. You should be very proud of yourself, you've done one heck of a job on her. :D :D

I would go ahead and put a fillet and fiberglass tape around the console unless you plan on removing it in the future.

I never realized all of the little things at the end that needs to be installed. I've spent the last two days finishing the wiring on mine. All I need now is a battery and she's ready to go. Hurricane Ivan and the aftermath kind of slowed me down.

Make sure to take plenty of pictures when you put her in the water!!!

Chris

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:20 am
by JimW
Yes tape the console. Everyone leans on it when they hit a wave. Console take quite a beating. Tape it and it'll be fine. Omit the tape and it is a matter of time before cracks would start. Happened to me in more minor areas than the console.

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:36 am
by fishingdan
I will second the other's comments regarding taping the console to the sole. In a small boat, one usually doesn't have a leaning post. When driving the boat, the console takes a lot of stress just from the driver holding on.

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:04 pm
by DrBones
Well...today the most friendly Florida Wildlife Commission Officer came around and did his part of the registration of my boat. I train their rookie recruits (Not in boating though! :P ) - and I work with them on occasion, so I know most of them by sight at least.

I ended up explaining to him how I had built it. He thought it was a fiberglass boat when he first saw it and was amazed. He said, he didn't think it would be THAT good when we made out the appointment for him to come over and inspect a home built boat. Ah..and the boat is 16'5" long!

In the end, the "inspection" lasted about 1.5 hours of chatting about boats! :P - Being European, it drives tears to my eyes when I see how simple such a thing can be! :P :P :P

I must really say, I truly, truly love Florida. I love this area with all my heart, especially the pan handle. It's a great state! - And tomorrow, I'll gladly dish out my taxes/registration fees! :P

P.S.
OK...I'll FG tape the console down! ;)

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:05 pm
by DrBones
There is something else I want to add. It was a question about modifications I received via email and what I thought I'd do different if I were to do it again.

As to 'modifications' - I must be honest with you. Until you actually build the boat, you don't realize how well thought out the bateau.com designs are. Any modification will undoubtedly complicate things in this regards, rather than keep it simple. For example, the marine foam filled into the keel box is really simple, and I really wouldn't try to do it any different. Actually, I should've filled the foam through holes in the sole (as per plans), rather than fill it up between the stringers and then sand it down...that was messy.

The ONLY thing I regret is that I didn't experiment with fillets before I started building. I wasted a tremendous amount of epoxy on the huge fillets I initially made. My tip: Fillets aren't what holds the boat together. Their ONLY purpose is to provide curvature for the fiberglass tape to make the bend smoothly in corners. Instead of the 7.5 gallons of epoxy, I used about 12 gallons. Reason of course, my big fillets and for 'fixing' gaps, etc. due to my not so precise cuts. None of it you can see now, but ...it does get expensive to 'fix' things. This pretty much falls in line with the philosophy that changes to the designs will complicate things down the road.

I'm even happy now that I built the console to specs, i.e. smaller than what most folks build and are used to. A big console would just waste space that now I'm happy to have. The same goes for adding weight at the stern, either through heavy engines, baitwells, etc. - All of which, from what I've seen and heard from other builders change the handling of the boat, which has to be 'fixed' through trim tabs, dol-fins, etc. The same goes for putting the gas tank under the center console seat, as stated in plans. I'm happy now that I'm doing that. Weight for one thing, and of course I have storage space under the casting deck that others who put their gas tank their don't have (EvilD. for instance, who now added a locker between the console and the casting deck).

My sincere tip is to stick as closely to the design as possible and to approach the project from a 'clean slate' (i.e. forget your prior 'experience' in woodworking, fiberglass, etc.). Jacques Mertens, even though he acts like an artist with an attitude at times (I still luv u, Jacques :P ), knows what he is doing. At least from my standpoint, I love the OD16 design...so, don't mess with it! :P

So, my tip: Chose the boat you want that comes with the design features and freedoms you want as described per designer. Don't take a "simple work-boat" design and try to make a ocean going fishing cruiser out of it. A simple change like making the console 6" wider will take away space in a boat like the OD16, which then will make you realize...that that is the space you could've used for stretching out in and taking a nap - or for that overnight fishing trip.

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:55 am
by attownsend
Looks awesome Doc!! 8) :D 8O . Evild.

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:24 am
by odras
Doc, looks fantastic! One thing concerns me though, I thought I heard someone say that they would gladly pay the fees and taxes?

Must be another one of those viscous internet rumors!

All kidding aside, she looks great! and please let us know how she does on the water.

Bill

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:59 am
by attownsend
odras wrote:Doc, looks fantastic! One thing concerns me though, I thought I heard someone say that they would gladly pay the fees and taxes?

Must be another one of those viscous internet rumors!

All kidding aside, she looks great! and please let us know how she does on the water.

Bill

Yea, And I own property in Atlantis.Evild :lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:48 pm
by anflyer
Doc. shes looking great. I've fallen a little behind on mine. Completion date is now looking to be february. make sure you take alot of pictures on launch day....

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:30 am
by squid
Doc,
Love your boat. and I too feel thaqt sticking as close to thedesign as possible is the way to go. as i do not have an engineering degree and have not built any boats before and if I was a first time builder I would spend a lot of time in the forum and the howto tutorials before Istarted to put a saw to board or a brush to epoxy. I added up the amount of epoxy to build my boat and it was in the neighborhood of 13 gal almost double what they said all because of mistakes, those costly mistakes. You and I are sort of on the same wave lenght I use as many cost cutting features as I could like used trailer and second hand motor. My final cost is right around $2200.00 give or take a little. So what are you going to build next and when?
Squid

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:52 am
by DrBones
Thanks Squid! - Yep, I also used more epoxy..about 13 gallons (same reason...I made 'mistakes'). My total costs for the boat, trailer, hitch on the car, and the engine come to probably somewhere around $3,300 to $3,500. - The engine costing $750.

Hehehe...so what AM I going to build next? - Nothing for a while..since I'm not a dentist, lawyer, CEO, or stock broker! But, if I'm dreaming, my next project would be one that I would try to build beautiful, i.e. brightwork, stainless steel hardware...a 'classic' looking boat. - Dream a little more and a classic looking lobster type boat with fairly comfortable cruising capability for two people and several days at sea is what I come up with. - An LB25 perhaps?

How about yourself?

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:11 am
by anflyer
Doc, I believe it is time to change your signature from:

"I'm building a boat" to "I've built a boat" :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D .

Congrats on the accomplishment................

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:48 pm
by Mike Adams
=D> Congratulations on a fine job, Doc!

Seems like there are a number of folks close to or just crossing the finishing line about now. The experiences and helpful comments that you and others have shared are beyond price to those of us who are just beginning. I read everything that gets posted on this forum and I have lost count of the number of valuable tips that I have picked up. For one thing, I'm sure going to monitor my use of epoxy closely!

I was hoping to start my FL14 this week, but unfortunately it's been p*****g with rain in Canberra for the last few days. We are off to Queensland on Saturday to visit family over Christmas and New Year, so looks like I will not be able to get much done now until I get back home the first week of Jan. :roll:
Meanwhile, I've been doing some more work on the DE23 model - cabin and pilot house frames installed. The model is really helping me to visualise what I will need to do on the real thing. Between it, the FL14 and this forum I hope to have learned enough lessons so I don't screw up on the DE23 when I get around to building her.
Once again, congratulations Doc, and thanks to everyone for all the tips. Keep 'em coming!

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:29 pm
by squid
Doc,
For me it would have to be the hb or the ct size undecided. I too would like to make a beautiful and practical week or weekend vessel for me and my wife and dog too relax on for our real retirerment.
Squid

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:30 am
by DrBones
Thanks for all the nice comments! As to changing my signature...I've pondered that and decided to wait until I splash her. At this point it probably will be in January sometime. I still need some odds'n'ends, like cleats, grab rails, a depth finder, compass, flares/flare gun, and a radio. So...considering that Xmas is at hand and I have a wife, three kids, my sister-in-law, and two dogs to keep happy...those boat bucks will have to go towards them first! - In the meantime I'm going to continue my scrounging efforts. :P

Once I splash her and I can post pics of that, I'll change my signature! :P

As to the taxes: Well, I don't mind supporting the FWC and their officers. They do a whole lot to try to keep our wildlife alive for all of us to enjoy. I work with them on occasion and I like the whole lot of them, all of them have a great love and respect for nature. The fee we pay here in Florida is minimal for the freedom it gets us.

nice job, Doc

Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:36 pm
by Paul Stahnke
I like your boat and agree with your conclusions on changes. I too have used more epoxy than I wanted, and I have done scads of production (polyester only) fabrication in my past life. I thought it was just me. Something in me just hates seeing the weave stick through, even though I know it is saturated from rolling and squeegee.

Nice job and enjoy the accomplishment. All the best.

Paul S

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:55 pm
by FLYonWALL9
DOC,

OUTSTANDING MAN! I should check this place more often, I guess I have just been down in the dumps with back, lawyers, and dr's. They just all piss me off.

Anyway, great stuff man. We have the same motor by the way, I think I gave a bit more for mine. I traded a couple used Accurate reels and 250 bucks. But this thing only has like 40 hours or so on it as I was told. Purchased new then the owner passed away, given to his son who just took it off the boat and put it on a stand where it sat in storage from 1990 until I got it.

I have looked for the flat bar or whatever that was you told me to put on my trailer for a stop and cant run down anything. Don't know what I'm going to do. I may take some pictures of it and send them to you see if you can come up with an idea. I'm lost and now broke. lol My plan was to get a new trailer when I was done but that was before I was hurt. Perhaps when I get a settlement.

TAKE SOME ON THE WATER PICS DUDE. :D :D . Funny, I remeber when we were both about the same place in our build and nearly the launch of both. Fun stuff huh!

PANGA NEXT for me I think. When this one dies, sinks, gets stolen, or burns to the ground. LONG TIME FROM NOW I HOPE.

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:25 am
by DrBones
Scott,
Sorry to hear about your injury. Don't let it get to you!

I hear you about being 'broke'! ;) - Even though my OD16 is almost ready to splash...well work got in the way, then Christmas, and now the great new 'privatized' state pay-roll system for Florida (another Bush family invention called "People First" - HA! - Bastards are going to pay thousands of workers their pay checks two weeks late!) got in the way.

Right now, I'm getting ready to finally tape down my console. But I still have to pay the tax/title, and trailer tag. As it turns out the helm I got from my eBay purchase was the wrong one, so the seller is sending me another per UPS ground...so who knows when that'll get here, etc., etc. - Hahahaha! Teaches you not to plan your 'finished' date on a project like this!

As to your bow stop, as I said, I'll be more than happy to help you manufacture the brace. It really shouldn't be too big of a problem. Best would be if you could make a cardboard template for what you need and send it to me, I'll cut it in aluminum. Just make a template for one side and I'll cut two braces in aluminum. These you can bolt on to the tongue you have on your trailer.

Just get in touch with me via email and we'll hash out the details. :P