Phantom 18 in Maine

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jasonmcintosh
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jasonmcintosh »

I've read the "toothed" trowle thing before too. Seems like a great idea. Anything to save labor, outside of buying a boat...
Hopefully fishing from my GF18

Dane_Ger
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dane_Ger »

I have just begun fairing my FL14 so I'd be very interested in hearing how this process works for you! Your boat is looking good!
Building the FL14

sgorey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by sgorey »

Here's the thread that discusses using a notched trowel.

http://forums.bateau2.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4052

I agree with CaryB's comment ...
CaryB wrote:I think that it is overkill as an approach for general fairing. It would lead to excessive sanding and waste.
However, I went with the notched trowel anyway, because the sides and most of the bottom needed a good amount of fairing.

Dane_Ger: whether you use a notched trowel or not, make sure you buy Quickfair. The stuff goes on fast.

Steve

sgorey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

fairing is almost over

Post by sgorey »

I haven't spent much time on it. It's tough to stay motivated. Everytime I think I'm ready for primer I find another spot that needs fixin'.

I got my motor last weekend. It's a '91 Mariner 115hp.

sgorey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

rubrails

Post by sgorey »

Added third layer of plywood tonight.

Almost ready to prime.

sgorey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

hull almost primed

Post by sgorey »

Applied 2 coats of System 3 primer today.

Thanks Joel for the advice on buying a paint stirrer for the drill. It made quick work of mixing the "mud" at the bottom of the can.

Here's a picture of the gas tank I salvaged from a rotten "fiberglass" boat that came with the motor and trailer I purchased.

I'm finally making progress.

Steve

Yoda
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Yoda »

Your "rotten boat" fuel tank will save you a lot of money. Looks like a good tank.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Yoda wrote:Your "rotten boat" fuel tank will save you a lot of money. Looks like a good tank.
Yes, good find. There are several places that sell donated boats for cheap (Chapman Sea School in Stuart, FL is one). They have dozens of boat for sale at very low prices (some less then $2k) that would make perfect salvage boats. I didnt really think about it until after I had bought the trailer for my ph16. Salvage the motor, trailer and who knows what else (fuel tank, hardware, wiring harness, etc..). For those who are building more "work boat" style bateau's this might be something to look into.

Joel

sgorey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by sgorey »

Yoda wrote:Your "rotten boat" fuel tank will save you a lot of money. Looks like a good tank.
Plus the dimensions are perfect. I've been searching the internet for a tank, but the only ones over 12 gallons are around 12" high (too high). This one is only 7", with 2" hose, it's less than 12".
Shine wrote: Yes, good find.

Joel
I hope so. Though I won't know until I get the motor on the PH18 and give it a go.

Steve

sgorey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

hull is painted

Post by sgorey »

It's been a long time coming...but I finally painted the hull.

I rolled and tipped 3 coats of Whidbey White and 2 coats of Clear. I'm extremely happy with the paint...the painter is another story. I started at 2am Saturday morning and finished at 9am. A couple of small drips and some dust and flies keeps it from looking too great.

I'll flip it in a few days and start on the inside...I can't wait to see wood again.