OD16 getting closer

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Steve_MA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Steve_MA »

I like those gunwhales too.....I have a mind to build an OD one day and I want to have gunwales as well, but I dont really know how to build them. How are they supported? I have seen little "triangles" or similar supports underneath, but I want something more -finished- looking I think. I guess you could also build a whole shelf and support structure along the sides although I that might cut into the cockpit room a bit.

How did you build yours? I didnt see any supports.

Do you have a gallery somewhere?

Good work.....

anflyer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by anflyer »

Steve_MA wrote:I like those gunwhales too.....I have a mind to build an OD one day and I want to have gunwales as well, but I dont really know how to build them. How are they supported? I have seen little "triangles" or similar supports underneath, but I want something more -finished- looking I think. I guess you could also build a whole shelf and support structure along the sides although I that might cut into the cockpit room a bit.

How did you build yours? I didnt see any supports.

Do you have a gallery somewhere?

Good work.....

Steve, thanks fo the coments. The gunwhales were actual not very difficult to build. The gunwhales are 7 1/2" wide (6 3/4" gunwhale + 3/4" inwhale).

I started at the bow with one piece of plywood that was layed from port to stern. I then traced the outside profile of the bow onto the plywood and cut it with a jig saw and screwed it to the rub rail while I cut the rest of the gunwhales.

I then worked in 4' increments (this seemed to be the easiest to handle and made the best use of the sheet of plywood) back from the bow. I would cut the 4' piece of plywood about 9 - 10" wide then lay it up on the rubrail. The outside just follows the line of the rubrail, I would mark it then cut it on the bandsaw or jigsaw. Once I had the outside profile I would use a caliper / divider with a pencil on it (set at 6 3/4") to follow the profile.

After I had both sides cut, the gluing would begin. Here is a picture showing how to get both sides level (this is the picture that is posted in GPratt's gallery, this is how I did it and it worked great, thanks Gpratt) while gluing the gunwhales on.

I then added the "Inwhales" (select pine 4x12 bought at home depot, it is great since it has no knots) which are glued directly to the gunwhales.

As is (after fiberglassing with 9oz cloth) the gunwhales are incredibly strong. I weigh 230 and am able to stand on the gunwhales without any flexing. I still am going to add some stiffeners which also act as rod holers underneath (2 on each side) for some added insurance.

I hope I was able to expalain. Please let me know if you need some clarification.

anflyer

P.S. - the hull is now half way faired, hopefully some more fairing and sanding this weekend and I should be ready for primer. :lol:

Steve_MA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Steve_MA »

Let me see if I understand.....not sure I do :doh:
And then you put the cloth on top and bottom surfaces? Probably just the top otherwise you cant get around the edges.

Is this right?

Or maybe this is closer.
I am only partially confident I am calling things by their right names (inwhale and gunwhale :doh: ) so thats why I might have labelled it wrong.

Even if this isnt what you did, seems like it would work!

anflyer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by anflyer »

Hope this helps. The 2 supports / rod holders will be added later ( I believe Dr. Bones or EvilD posted a picture once of how they had made the bracket. If i find it I will post.

anflyer

Steve_MA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Steve_MA »

really! Shows you what I know.. I would be afraid that wasnt solid enough; you said you can stand on that :!:
I probably overbuild everything.....

It looks really nice. I cant wait to build my OD.

markhoutx
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by markhoutx »

Steve and Anf,

What program are you using to do those drawings?

anflyer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by anflyer »

Steve_MA wrote:really! Shows you what I know.. I would be afraid that wasnt solid enough; you said you can stand on that :!:
I probably overbuild everything.....

It looks really nice. I cant wait to build my OD.
Steve, the strenghth comes from everything being tied together. When i still hadn't installed the inwhales the gunwhales were very flimsy. Once the inwhales were installed it all came together. Also look at the casting platform and the rear seats, they are resting on these and it gives it even more strength from flexing down once you apply weight.

anflyer

anflyer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by anflyer »

markhoutx wrote:Steve and Anf,

What program are you using to do those drawings?
markhoutx, I just copied steves image to photo shop and added.

anflyer

Steve_MA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Steve_MA »

I just used MS PowerPoint. But there is an open source program that seems to work pretty well with the MS Office formats. Its called OpenOffice.
If you google it or try openoffice.org you can probably find it. It has a drawing program that works like powerpoint.

Mike Adams
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mike Adams »

anflyer wrote:Hope this helps. The 2 supports / rod holders will be added later ( I believe Dr. Bones or EvilD posted a picture once of how they had made the bracket. If i find it I will post.

anflyer
That's exactly how I am currently building the gunwales on my FL14!
FL14 "Lake Dreamer" built.