Panga 20 West Central Florida

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
fishingdan
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fishingdan »

Jas, that treasure chest idea is great.

JASmine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by JASmine »

Short status report:

...engine mounted and wired.... waiting for prop to arrive
...original control cables were too short..you need at least 17' (16' steering ok)
...all guages connected and ready for use (if you use analog Yamaha guages you need an additional console-to- engine harness for trim and temp/pressure... :( )
...main engine harness needs to be at least 17'

sgorey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by sgorey »

All those guys with the 225s must have been drooling when they saw a 20' boat with a 60hp.

Great looking boat. Congratulations!!

ledwithjohn
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Looks Great

Post by ledwithjohn »

Hope mine turns out as nice.

Let us know how she handles, and the speeds with 60 hp.

John Ledwith

Yoda
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Yoda »

Hey JAS, we're all waiting anxiously for your " I ran the boat " report.
Waiting for the prop? Anyhow your gonna have fun. The weather and my arthritus has slowed me down.

The boat is outside with the front cabin stitched. Just need some sunny weather with a low arthritus index. I now believe in that weather stuff.
Maybe I need to move to Ariz. :D

JASmine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by JASmine »

Yoda...I'm anxious too!!!!

Today I had the state fish & game inspection (all ok), went to the motor vehicle dept and did the registeration (hull id and hull #), added another 12" keel roller and side bunks to the trailer. By the time I put the hull #s on the boat it was too dark to get much time on the water...tomorrow hopefully... but don't expect much of a performance report until I get past the first engine hour.

Joel..thanks for faxing the invoices to the mv dept. If I was to do this again in Florida I would take in the wood, epoxy/glass,paint, and engine invoices and that's all.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

No prob. I glad we could help :D I know you cant wait to take her out tomorrow.... I know I'l be check back for an update..... after I come back from fishing :D

Old E.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Old E. »

Why did you have to take in all the invoices, and why would you only take in those reciepts mentioned? I am curious as to the registration process of these boats in Fl. Thanks.

Lackofdistinction
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Lackofdistinction »

Tell me about the trailer?
I am in the market for one was yours used or did you buy new and what brand?

Thanks
Josh
"Off Fighting Windmills."

JASmine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by JASmine »

Old E.....The receipts are a required part of the registration..you need an inspection report from FFWC, a Builder's statement, and receipts showing you paid Fl sales tax on the materials. My comment regarding only taking the major bills is to SIMPLFY the process when working with someone at the motor vehicle dept who probably has never done one before.

Lack....the trailer is a new Performance brand trailer. It has a tilt mechanism that allowed me to easily change out the 8' tongue for a 12' one.
I'm still tuning the trailer for the Panga 20. Today I scraped another layer of paint/primer/fairing off the keel near the bow because as the hull moves away from the bunks it eventually drops down between them and hits the trailer. I'll add another large keel roller to fix the problem in the area where the drop occurs.

'I ran the boat' report:
I put it in one of our local lakes for it's first test ride this morning...nice and calm but cool.
With a 1100# hull, 240# 60hp engine, 10 gallons of fuel, two 200# men, and safety equipment, the boat runs fairly easily over 30 mph at 5000 rpm. I only ran the engine for 1/2 hour total and spent almost all the time running at 3000 rpm. Next up will be another 1/2 hour at 4000 rpm. After that I'll run it up to WOT (6000 rpm) to see what prop changes might be needed.
My initial impression is "so far so good". The ride was smooth, dry, and quiet. There is almost no 'getting up on plane' sensation. The hull starts level and stays level. At rest, the hull does rock but in a controlled way. There's no problem with another person moving around in the boat.
I'm very pleased with the layout...lots of room for two people to fish very comfortably.
I would also say that if you really want to spend time offshore you should build the 25. The 20 is a great inshore/nearshore/bay boat...easy to handle single-handed. With the 60 4-stroke I'm expecting something around 5mpg.
Another report soon... :D :D :D
Last edited by JASmine on Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.