Panga 20 West Central Florida

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
JASmine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by JASmine »

Scott
As Joel says, it's in the design. The sole is just at the waterline..empty. I now use a rubber stopper on the inside when out on the water and pull it out when washing it down.
I don't think raising the sole would be too good..it would have to be over 1.5" higher to make a difference.
Good Luck

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

JASmine wrote:Scott
As Joel says, it's in the design. The sole is just at the waterline..empty. I now use a rubber stopper on the inside when out on the water and pull it out when washing it down.
I don't think raising the sole would be too good..it would have to be over 1.5" higher to make a difference.
Good Luck
Exactly, raising the sole is not an option.
The PG20 is a small boat, it doesn't have much buoyancy and this presents a dilemma to the designer: either make the cockpit self-bailing but raise the CG or keep the sole just high enough that it drains the rain when left at the dock.
The Pangas are narrow and don't have much static stability to start with, it's not a good idea to raise the sole. Plus the cockpit depth is already border line.
The best compromise is to have a boat that will drain when left empty at the dock but requires some kind of plugs in the scupper or flapper valves.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by FLYonWALL9 »

Gotcha thanks guys