C17 (Classic 17) in London

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: C17 (Classic 17) in London

Post by Cracker Larry »

Wow, that's a beautiful picture Tim. Cool job you have 8) I've always wanted to see Africa.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Nice! 8) Have you guided anyone to the end of the rainbow yet? Care to volunteer a report on what one finds there. :)

Are you going to learn aluminum welding now? :wink:

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

Cracker Larry wrote:Wow, that's a beautiful picture Tim. Cool job you have 8) I've always wanted to see Africa.
Larry - put it on your to-do list. I can post a few pictures if you, or anyone else, want... Being thirty feet away from a full grown bull African Elephant in an open vehicle can be, uh, a bit daunting!!!

I'll offer accommodation where we are too! Have a look at http://www.platanna.com/ - there's a map somewhere in there - my boat, and where we are... Winter's the best time to visit, especially if you like 'weather' ;) Late winter is when the whales come to calve! Sometimes hundreds of them...
ks8 wrote:Have you guided anyone to the end of the rainbow yet?
The rainbow pic is in Botswana, not where I am. Our river is a little bit smaller than that ;)

When we were up there it was near the end of the rain season, and we stayed near the confluence of the Chobe and Zambezi rivers. At times the flow is so strong on the Zambezi, that it floods the Chobe, causing the Chobe to flow backwards.

The river I cruise is called the Klein Rivier (afrikaans for Small River) and it only flows regularly during winter, our rainfall season.

During summer it's an extension of the lagoon, so basically sea level and brackish - we have a few seals as regular visitors in the village - 7.5km of lagoon plus 7.5km of navigable river away from the sea (Can't take a boat into the lagoon - the water is ankle deep for about 600m between the river and the lagoon).

Later,

Tim.

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

Okay, long time no update (or work), but I'm getting there :wink:

I've finished cutting bits of wood out of the boat, the last being the console:

Then check that everything fits as it's supposed to (which it does):

On the console - l-r: trim gauge, tachometer, fish-finder (I don't fish, but I do like to know how much wet stuff is under my boat). Below fish-finder, a 4-switch panel for electrics. The panel was given to me, so I figured put it in now, and as I add stuff later, use it. There will be nav lights, interior lights etc. added sometime in the future...

And, at last, window frames are complete, drilled, filled, sealed with two coats of epoxy, waiting for varnish, then drill again and fit the polycarbonate...

I have a deadline of the end of this month to get the boat out the garage - two more builds will be starting then, both canoes (HC16's) side by side. The boating business is getting busy, the tourists are coming and the canoes will be part of that as rentals alongside the other river boat.

The deadline is okay - I'm now left with only sanding and painting. Nearly done.

Later,

Tim.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Nice. Every time I get ready to finish painting my seats, something comes up. In that regard, you are doing better than me! :lol:

Now I'm in the middle of a move to Florida, right on the gulf... lots more wet stuff all around... 8 minute walk before my hat floats... incentive to catch up to you. :D

Enjoy getting things just right, and building those twins. :)

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

This pic is for Lucky-Louis...

I can't believe it's so long since my last post, but things like having a second little girl arrive a few months ago tend to get in the way... Oh, as well as 'work!' Since I gave up 9-5 type working hours five years ago, I seem to have much less time for myself than ever before - oh well.

So, side windows fitted, front still to be cut. Console painted and re-fitted, cabin sides and coamings varnished.

Still to do: varnish handrails, fit front windows, paint deck, fit hatches and hardware and that's it - out the garage and into the water.

Regards,

Tim.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 »

8)

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

Okay, long time no post (again) - been busy on the other boat, having babies (not me, the First Mate) and other things, but have managed to get the boat ready for a re-launch. Maybe next weekend if weather permits.

Windows done. New console painted and fitted out. Decks painted. Cabin varnished. The interior can wait until next winter.

All I need to do is re-fit the deck hardware and hatches, connect battery and try and start that motor that has been sitting for nearly two years (that's scary!!!)...

I'll let you know how it goes.

Regards,

Tim.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 »

8)

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

Okay, ready to get wet again - this has taken way to long, but I'm there now - test motor at home tomorrow morning and then off to the river...

Regards,

Tim.