C17 (Classic 17) in London

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: C17 (Classic 17) in London

Post by Lucky_Louis »

elegant solution! should work very well.
Image OB17 Splashed June 2007

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

Okay, hatch cover mostly done, just some tidying up and smoothing off to do:

The gusset, brace (whatever you call it) serves two purposes - one, I want to be able to stand on it (probably not needed, but hey!) and the other reason is that the curve was a little to much - this flattens it out just the right amount (and yes, it bugs me a little that I got it slightly off-centre, but I can live with that ;)):

That's it for this week - off to Cape Town tomorrow morning for the weekend with a shopping list of paints, varnishes, hardware, screws etc. to finish off. It's a 400km round trip, so I want to make sure I get everything I need!

Oh, and taking the little one to the aquarium to find Nemo.... :)

Later,

Tim.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

8)

Enjoy the aquarium trip. What will you do if you find Nemo?

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

ks8 wrote:8)

Enjoy the aquarium trip. What will you do if you find Nemo?
Not sure, but she seems to be more interested in finding Bruce! We have a lot of them around here! I did a trip with a friend around a year ago, and saw four different great whites following our boat 8O

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

Okay, the anchor hatch is made, but not sealed or mounted (later), now to changing the height and angle of the wheel. After visiting a few boat supply places in Cape Town, I've found out that Ultraflex parts aren't available here (I have an Ultraflex no-feedback helm on the boat). So, I could get a Teleflex, and drill holes in the bezel kit to make it fit, or I could change the console for 'free' since I have the wood and epoxy.

It's a start, and will take a bit of jiggling to get everything right, but at least it is a way of getting my wheel where I want it...

Later,

Tim.

Fonda@kauai
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fonda@kauai »

You do top notch work Tim! Looks great :D
Aloha

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

Fonda@kauai wrote:You do top notch work Tim! Looks great :D

Thanks, and Aloha to you too...

New steering position.

Below is a pic of the wheel in it old and new position - the gain I've made is an extra 5cm (2") at the top of the wheel, and an extra 6cm (2.4") at the bottom (approx).

It's not a whole lot, but I think it will make enough of a difference to be worth the effort. You can see below that it just wasn't high enough - it still might not be, but it's as high as I can get it without rebuilding the entire console.

I had originally made the new 'box' 30º, but test fitting the bezel kit and helm mechanism showed there was no way it was going to fit. Cut it down to 20º, and it slots right in :).

That pic was taken when the first crew member was 14 months old, not her first boat trip, but her first one on this boat.

I've also moved the steering a couple of inches inboard for a little bit of space to the right - one, I'm planning on putting a switch panel there, and two, I want to move the control box forward. It's just a little too far back, and awkward for me to have one hand on the wheel and one on the throttle.

Tim.

Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

Top notch Tim. As usual your engineering and execution are great. Thanks for sharing! It may be time to start a new thread ... "C17 in Africa" or something like that :D :doh: I hope the mods fit well.
Image OB17 Splashed June 2007

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

Lucky_Louis wrote:As usual your engineering and execution are great.
Louis, you make me giggle - both my older brothers, and my younger sister have degrees in engineering - I'm the only one without! But I'm fairly okay with geometry... ;)

Back to the foredeck hatch - 'cos it's curved, and hinges don't like curves, it's taken me a couple of days to figure a way of creating a 'flat spot' for each hinge to fit. For me, I like leaving the problem alone until a solution appears out of nowhere - it's done me well on this boat:

You can see where two recesses have been routed out, towards the middle going through the top veneer, but it took me a while to come up with this:

Basically, a flat board on top of the hatch, with two cut-outs for the router bit (only one side shown), then all clamped in place and very slowly I shaved the wood away.

Worked for me...

Later,

Tim.

PS, middle of winter here, and today we've hit 24ºC!! :D

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

Bugger!!

Fitting a hatch on the side of the motorwell, after spending ages measuring, routing, measuring, routing etc., and it looks okay:

Only thing is...

...it doesn't close due to the interference of the edges!! :oops: :oops:

More routing to come...

Always something to spoil a (bright?) idea, isn't there?

Regards,

Tim.