Okay, so things didn't really go to schedule.
I had no idea how difficult it would be to get the epoxy to wet the glass out. I think maybe if I got a "wetting-out" roller for doing the fabric it might be easier than using a squeegee.
Anyway, I managed to prepare the boat on Saturday - this involved sanding all the joins and lumps of mixture used for filling the cable tie holes etc. Not very pleasant as it hit 36 degrees C (97F) in the garden. Same on Sunday.
Sunday I measured and cut the fabric for the bottom. I also did a few tests and practice fibreglass laminations with the West slow-cure resin/hardener mix that I hadn't used up to now. Just as well, as in spite of using the measuring pumps I found that due to the heat, the hardener becomes so thin that it flows back into the pump! So the method now involves doing a little "primer" squirt from each container into little tubs, then doing the mixing measurements. Having sorted that out, I have to admit that it as real easy to get the right mixture with the pumps.
The other really useful tool that I've discovered is this little cutter:
I had to get my own from the local sewing shop (Mrs Wobbly wouldn't let me use hers) - it's a fabric cutter that I used to cut the glass fabric to fit the hull. All I did was lay the sheets on the hull and walk around it pushing this along the glass - easy, accurate cut. It does need good pressure though!
Monday morning things got delayed (again, weather, a thunderstorm that lasted until about 11). I was only able to start work at about 2 when my work area had dried out enough. I suppose it had to rain, as it was the start of the Wimbledon tennis tournament (and it always
rains during Wimbledon - and it's just up the road from me!
I managed to get the keel laminations done Monday afternoon, followed by the chine laminations done on Tuesday. I also managed to get one layer of tape on the transom, but had to stop there as my last pair of gloves tore. I need to make sure that I don't run out again!
I have to say, I really don't like working with large amounts of epoxy. It's easy enough to spread on a horizontal surface, but on vertical surfaces? Grrr. As you can see from my transom pic (below), it drips all over the place. And sticks to everything. And once it gets on the gloves and squeegee everthing gets all slippery and slimy. And my hands still
feel sticky now, even though I only got a little bit of epoxy on them.
Well, that's about it for now. I now have to sand all those edges before proceeding with the layer of fabric. I'm not going to assume that I will be able to do it all this coming weekend (considering I had thought I could have done it all by now!!). At the very least, I hope to get it all sanded and ready.
kiwi wrote:You are one clean builder!
Tony, you might not think so anymore after seeing this:
That's it for now.
Keep building guys... (BOD's)