GF 16 Progress

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
keysrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Nice

Post by keysrat »

You have built EXACTLY what I plan to build. That is a great duck boat.
I also like the deer hanger you got there.....

BluffBuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BluffBuilder »

Boat looks really good there Larry. I hope my 2 dogs are as helpful as yours. I know for sure one will end up glued to the floor.

Did you go with a live/baitwell or any electrical provisions for night running? How’d the sink test go?

You’re welcome to visit anytime. PM or Email me. Although I only have the pieces cut at this point so there’s not much to see. Would love to see how yours turned out and get some tips.

Yes our sleepy town that used to have Piggly Wiggly and Squat N Gobble on the main drag as highlights, now has everything under the sun and traffic to go with it. 278 is a nightmare. The mass exodus is in full swing. So many transplants…so little time.

Anyway, looks like you’ll be in fine shape for shrimp season, eh. Will be interesting to see how it handles different HPs.
Whatcha looking to build next? The Pangas, PH16 and OB15 look like nice core designs.
GF 16 in progress

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

What are the "rollers" for at either side of your benches?

Jason, thanks. They aren't rollers, but 1 5/8" hardwood dowels. Multi-purpose. They serve as handles for lifting and carrying the boat, a place to hang fenders for hip towing or docking, a place to tie multiple crab lines or baskets, and they serve as cleats for dock lines. Plus I think they help the looks, I didn't really like the way the frame ears stuck up there, so I made them do something useful.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Did you go with a live/baitwell or any electrical provisions for night running? How’d the sink test go?

Bluff, no livewell but it would be a snap to add one. There is plenty of room to put a cooler with an aerator under the seat when I need a livewell, which is almost never, so I didn't make a permanent one.

No electrical system for two reasons. This boat will be abused and electrical connections are a constant source of trouble. In GA, if you have an electrical system you are required to have full nav lights at night, but if there is no electrical system you are only required to show a white light such as a flashlight.
I prefer to run without lights of any kind, they ruin my night vision. And what's the point of camo if I'm going to light it up?

The sink test was great. I used a piece of railroad track to simulate engine weight and pulled the plug. She kept 8 or 9 inches of freeboard with 120 lbs. of iron and 3 adults.

BTW Bluff, I've got some left over glass, tape and fillers if you want them. PM me, come see the boat and pick up some extra stuff. The kit was not nearly enough for my tug, but I did double the scantlings and the glass.

I hung the boat from a game scale to weigh it. 216 lb. That's 56 over the design weight, but I like it like that! Sorry Jacques.

timoub007
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by timoub007 »

Larry,

As I said in my own thread, your boat looks great. Any tips on the paint job? I plan on putting a camo finish on mine as well. I was hoping to be the first camo GF-16, but see what procrastination got me. I've had my plans for some 15 months, but just now got started.

I posed several other questions to you on my thread. Post up or drop me a line if you don't mind.

Looking forward to some pictures of yours in the water. Any idea of the real draft yet?

Thanks,
Tim

cottontop
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Crackers Duck Boat

Post by cottontop »

What a great looking boat. I would not have had the "guts" to sink my OD 18. Look to go into building withdrawal for a little while now. Good luck. Cottontop :D

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I really appreciate that, Cottontop :!:

As to sinking it, that's the first thing I want to know about a new boat. Small boats of course, without engine, without electrical systems. It prevents surprises later when you may be less prepared to deal with them. No big deal.

Tim, thanks. Sorry I haven't seen your thread yet but I'm glad to answer or help any way I can. I'll respond on your thread when I get there.

For the paint, I started with 2 coats of light gray epoxy (as pictured) just for a base. I went over that with a dark green, spraying streaks in a vertical pattern and leaving some gaps. Then switched to light green, again in a vertical pattern painting between the dark green stripes. (almost all lines in nature are vertical). Then I cut about a dozen palmetto leaves and taped them to the rubrail down the length of the boat. Switched to light brown and sprayed around the leaves, using them as a stencil. Switched to dark brown and did the same in places. When I removed the leaves, the sides looked just like a palmetto thicket. Then I switched to a light tan sand color and sprayed along the chines, which gave the effect of a palmetto thicket growing out of a sand dune. Looked good but needed more grass so I started painting cattails freehand. I would paint a clump about every 2 feet with light green. Then went back again with dark green doing the same thing between the first ones. Always painting vertically with each "stalk" ending in a "V" at the chine. Did this repetitively, switching colors every trip around so that some colors overlap others and nothing becoming too prominent. Kept this up until I was satisfied with it. It will blend in to almost any environment and I'm pretty happy with it.

BluffBuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BluffBuilder »

Hey Larry, paint job looks great. Can't wait to see what you come up with for rod holders and gun racks. I see PM doesn't work here or maybe I've got it set up wrong. My Email shows though. I was going to check to see if its OK to stop by sometime this weekend and get some tips and check out your rig. Was in Steinhatchee scalloping last weekend...
Did you do engine testing yet?
GF 16 in progress

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Hey Bluff, sure it's OK. Don't know what's wrong with the PM, but email is lteuton@aol.com or cell 912-655-5674. Feel welcome, just filled up the beer cooler for the weekend.

CMSgt
New Poster
New Poster

Post by CMSgt »

Larry,
Excellent camo job. That must have taken a lot of hours to complete inside and out. Great work.
I also like the idea of the dowels. I might do something on the same level with a V12. Crab lines usually get wrapped around the oar lock or any other available protrusion. The dowels would solve that problem.
I don’t know where you put in, but your statement, “I prefer to run without lights of any kindâ€