GF 16 Progress

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Thanks for the compliments, CMsgt!. Thanks for what you do, too!

Man, it's a small world! That stretch of river I've probably caught a zillion pounds of shrimp over the last 45 years. Cast nets, drag net, set nets, seine nets, you name it. From the hotel, used to be the Oglethorpe, now a Sheraton, to the Skidaway Marine Institute dock. One of the best spots for shrimp in the state. Usually not very good past the Landings Harbor. Too bad it has so much boat traffic now, takes the fun out of it. All the CG and game wardens take the fun out of it too :cry: You won't find me there anymore. Maybe Crooked Creek or Oyster Creek. Out of the traffic.

As to your worry, don't be, I'll see, hear and avoid you. I will also hit you with a million candlepower spot if we get too close. :D

If you see me on the river, please indroduce yourself!

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Oh yeah, where do I put in for shrimp? Thunderbolt, Causton Bluff or Lazaretta creek public ramps, usually. Sometimes Skidaway River, sometimes Carolina.

CMSgt
New Poster
New Poster

Post by CMSgt »

Larry,
Wow! I know where every location you mentioned is. I do remember the old Oglethorpe. I also remember being able to spend the day on Daufuskie Island before the developers messed it up. Anchor at Bloody Point, picnic lunch, pick up shells, and my mom always had to pick up drift wood. Grew up on Talahi Island.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

CMSgt wrote: I also remember being able to spend the day on Daufuskie Island before the developers messed it up.
'Fuskie just fine da way it be

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

No Joel, Fuskie was jus fin de way she use ta be. Now she be all fusked up.

Jimmy Buffet got it right on the Prince of Tides album. Down of Daufuskie Island the bulldozers buried the past, and, how can you tell what it use to be when there's nothin left to see.

CMSgt, we may just know each other. If you grew up on Talahi, you went to Johnson and/or Jenkins High depending on if you was before, during, or after integration. I graduated Jenkins, 1970.

Dey be gud swimps and trout in da Richardson Cr too. Dat be Talahi.

An if ya really know Fuskie, an da Bloody Point, tell me who is Silas?

attownsend
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by attownsend »

Man you that got that right on the mark!Evild.
If it ain't Boeing,I ain't going.Evild

attownsend
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by attownsend »

Cracker Larry wrote:No Joel, Fuskie was jus fin de way she use ta be. Now she be all fusked up.

Jimmy Buffet got it right on the Prince of Tides album. Down of Daufuskie Island the bulldozers buried the past, and, how can you tell what it use to be when there's nothin left to see.

CMSgt, we may just know each other. If you grew up on Talahi, you went to Johnson and/or Jenkins High depending on if you was before, during, or after integration. I graduated Jenkins, 1970.

Dey be gud swimps and trout in da Richardson Cr too. Dat be Talahi.

An if ya really know Fuskie, an da Bloody Point, tell me who is Silas?

Let us wind up on the east side of the wind :D :D :D .Jimmy Buffet,live on DUDE!
If it ain't Boeing,I ain't going.Evild

CMSgt
New Poster
New Poster

Post by CMSgt »

Larry,
Johnson, 1973.

Had a cousin though that lived on Habersham that graduated from Jenkins either 71 or 72.

Sometimes was able to catch a few trolling in Richardson Creek and Turner Creek. Also used to drag a 10-foot net in Mudd River back when that was legal. Back then we built boats with screws and without plans.
There's still a 16-foot flat bottom sitting on Talahi that was built around 1975. Marine plywood, 3/4 inch bottom, 1/2 inch sides, transom is two pieces of 3/4 inch glued together. Held together by screws and the entire exterior to include the rub rails is glassed. It's been sitting for a few year and needs to be rebuilt or decommissioned.

Now I'm having a difficult time figuring out who Silas is. There used to be a single store on Daufuskie. Would Silas be the proprietor?

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Johnson 73, huh. No doubt we have mutual friends.
Now I'm having a difficult time figuring out who Silas is. There used to be a single store on Daufuskie. Would Silas be the proprietor?
Nope he was long dead. Silas is the name on an old slave grave, just inside the tree line on the Mungen Creek side of Bloody Point. I haven't been there in a few years. Maybe the bulldozers got it, too :cry:

timoub007
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by timoub007 »

Hey Larry,

How is it actually using the boat instead of building?

Mine is coming along, I just have been fishing out of my production boat more than working on this one. I got started back last week as the fishing slowed a bit.

Anyway, I'm about to the point of needing paint and want your opinion on the EasyPoxy that you used. Where did you get it and how much did it take to put two coats on the GF-16? What method did you apply it with? I'm probably going to roll mine. It looks fairly shinny in the one picture in your gallery. I was initially looking for a dull grey for the primer. I'm going to do a similar camo job as you did. How is the Krylon holding up and was it just the normal, flat stuff? I don't suppose you covered the primer on the bottom panel with any other paint, did you?

Sorry for the 20 questions, but want to get it right.

Tim