GF 16 Progress

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
timoub007
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by timoub007 »

Larry,

The 15% is roughly the difference in speed between my Scout flats boat with and without a tunnel. I get 50-51 MPH out of my boat with a tunnel, and have read that others with the same hull sans tunnel get close to 60.

I realize that the tunnel should put the boat deeper in the water when sitting still (static). What I'm after is to decrease the running draft. The tunnel will allow me to get my motor mounted 4 inches or so higher on the transom. I may even use a jackplate to get it even higher. This puts 4 inches less skeg and prop below the bottom plane of the boat.

Just for kicks, could you measure the length of motor protruding below the bottom of your hull? I am guessing that you'll get about 10-12 inches. So driving over a hard bottom, the shallowest you're likely to get is 10 inches. Does that make sense? In effect the tunnel will allow me to run the boat in 5-6 inches of water. And as I said, the bottom is soft mud around here so I will be able to stay on plane in 2-4 inches.

I'm definitely going to keep the photos coming. I'm close to installing my tunnel and will take pics for my thread. I'll snap a shot with the tunnel sitting in the boat and put it up tonight so you can get an idea of what it will look like on the interior.

Thanks for the well wishes. You are right, this is why we build our own. :D

Tim

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Just for kicks, could you measure the length of motor protruding below the bottom of your hull? I am guessing that you'll get about 10-12 inches. So driving over a hard bottom, the shallowest you're likely to get is 10 inches. Does that make sense? In effect the tunnel will allow me to run the boat in 5-6 inches of water. And as I said, the bottom is soft mud around here so I will be able to stay on plane in 2-4 inches.
Sure, be right back.

OK, good guess. 13" exactly. The anti-cavitation plate is 1" below the hull. If I knew that ahead of time, I would have built the transom 2" higher.

I wish I could get power trim on a 25 Merc. That's the way I am used to gettin skinny :D

Makes sense, if it will work on this small of a boat. Again, good luck :!:

timoub007
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by timoub007 »

Thanks for measuring that Larry. I will definitely post up and admit defeat if I fall on my face. :P

I went to West Marine and ordered my EasyPoxy this afternoon. They had to order it so I won't see it until the end of next week. A gallon of that stuff was a 100 bucks. 8O And I had to get it in "sandstone". The only way I could get grey (any shade) was in quarts. 4 quarts would have cost over $125. How did you get grey? I figure I'll just use more of the spray cans, or I'll go get some "deck" paint in a grey shade.

Did you take a look at the newest pics in my post?

Tim
Last edited by timoub007 on Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

The good stuff is always pricy :D I bought quarts. I had 2 left over from another project and bought 2 more. Color doesn't much matter, it's just a good base for the spray paint. I used about 15 cans.

Yes, I did look at the pics. Very interesting :!: Build on my man.

timoub007
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by timoub007 »

Larry,

Do you recall approximately how much epoxy you had to mix up to wet out the glass between the mid-seat forward frame and bow frame? I'm thinking that it will take in the neighborhood of 12 ounces, but don't know for sure. I'd like to mix it all in one batch if possible to avoid making a mess, ha. :lol:

I should get the inside glassing complete this week and paint next weekend.

I'm getting there.
Tim

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Removed, somehow double posted :?:
Last edited by Cracker Larry on Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Tim, I think it took a lot more than 12 ounces, more along the lines of 36. But I ran my glass up the sides the full width of the cloth, which was almost to the gunnel near the bow. I'm pretty sure 12 ounces won't do half of it unless you are a lot more frugal with it than I was, and I spread it thin with a metal squeegee ( actually a 12" wallpaper knfe).

Seems to me I read that 12 oz. cloth takes about 12 oz. of resin per square yard, and that section is near 3 yards of cloth counting the sides.

timoub007
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by timoub007 »

Well, I'll say that I'm not as frugal with the epoxy as I thought I could be. I did get one of those metal rollers to use on the mat though. If 36 ounces is what you recall, then it is probably close. BluffBuilder seemed to recall close to that amount too.

I'm probably going to go up the sides as much as the mat will allow. With 20 yards of 50" fabric I should have enough to get close to the gunnel. Did you purchase extra mat to cover as much as you did, or was the 20 yards in the kit sufficient?

Thanks,
Tim

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Tim, I used 2 layers of the cloth inside and out, plus glassed the seat tops and bow deck and completely covered the bow and stern transoms with 2 layers. Still have some fabric left over from the kit. I used near 10 gallons of resin, 2 rolls of tape, twice as much wood flour and filler as was supplied in the kit, but had PLENTY of cloth :!:

timoub007
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by timoub007 »

Well, I'm doing (what I thought was) a lot of extra glassing, but not near the extent you went to. I won't run out of glass, but hope not to run out of epoxy.

My boat might still make it under 200 pounds now that I grasp how much extra you did to yours.

Tim