Finally getting started on my GF-16

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
timoub007
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by timoub007 »

Made some more progress. I've got the seat tops screwed down and have 2 of the 3 rubrail laminations complete. I'm hoping to get the last one on this afternoon before I leave town for the weekend.

Early next week I should get to have a flipping party....woohoo!!!

Still trying to figure out some of the details, but I'm impressed with the boat so far. I still can not believe how big it is.

Tim

timoub007
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by timoub007 »

Well, after a long period of inactivity I've completed some more. I got the rub rails complete and screwed down all of the seat tops and bow deck. Had a friend come over and flipping was easy with just the two of us. I'm excited about how light the hull is.

This evening I wheeled it out of the gargage and dropped the bottom panel in place.

It took a few stitches on each end, and just a couple between the bow frame and mid-seat frame for things to come together. Quite a few feet of duck tape later and I'm where you see me. I hope to flip it back over tomorrow and start filleting and taping the side to bottom seams.

Any tips or tricks that I should know at this point?

Thanks guys,
Tim

Lackofdistinction
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Lackofdistinction »

Watch the toes

I have a old stump knocker lack boat about 14 foot fiber glass.
jacked it up got it off the trailer and set it on some concrete blocks in order to work on my trailer.

Some how or another during the process the boat relieved it self of two of the concrete blocks and rested on my toe. (ouch doesn't even describe)

Good luck.... :doh:

timoub007
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by timoub007 »

Well, I have not dropped it on my toes, but the coated rub rails are sharp. I've cut my legs and knees on it several times. :?

I have about half of the inside seams built thus far. These are the bottom to side panel fillets and tape. The ones under the bow deck are done as well as the ones between the bow frame and mid-seat.

I hope to get the rest of them done this weekend. :P

I need to order some paint now. I want to paint inside the compartments prior to gluing on the seats and bow deck. Good thing is that the way I set up my boat, none of these areas need to be faired. :D

timoub007
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by timoub007 »

Completed building all the inside chine seams.

About to start covering inside the "boxes". What is the best way to wet out the mat prior to laying it on the bottom of the boat? I've been putting the tape in a plastic lunch meat container (4"x6") to wet it out. Would love it if there was a way to do this on a larger scale.

Need to figure how to attach my tunnel. Reading over the PH-15 plans I've got, I'll likely follow the directions in those building notes.

Thanks for all of your help and support. Especially Larry.

Tim

timoub007
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by timoub007 »

Well, since I've started talking about my tunnel I suppose I'll post a picture of it. 8)

I used the tunnel design for the PH15, but only made it 12 inches wide instead of 19. It is about 40 inches long.

I know that Jacques and others disagree with a tunnel on this rig, but it is what I need. We will see how it works and fill it in if I'm not happy.

Here is a shot showing from the mid-seat back:

The spaces between the tunnel sides and my "stringers" will be filled with laminated 1/2" plywood. This will make the tunnel fit snug between the "stringers".

So fire away with criticism and questions, I can take it. :wink:

I appreciate all of your help Larry and I'm sure I'll have other questions as my build progresses.

Tim

timoub007
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by timoub007 »

Got all inside chine seams and frame-to-side seams fillet &/or taped. Every frame got tape on one side in addition to the fillet called for in the plans. On the extra frames under my rear seats (what would be the sides of the rear seat front frame) I put tape on both sides where it meets the hull side panel. Don't know if I need it, but figured it would add strength to my changes.

Should get the inside hull bottom glassed this week and will paint the inside (at least inside boxes) next weekend.

Tim

Pics wouldn't really show anything different at this point. 8)

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Need to figure how to attach my tunnel.
That's what I was wondering :doh:

Then wondering how you were going to fill it back in :doh: :lol:

Just messin' with ya and wishin ya the best :D

timoub007
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by timoub007 »

I think I've got it figured out, but cutting a 12" x 40" hole in the bottom of my boat this weekend was a bit scary. I saved that piece of 1/4" ply just in case I need it. :lol:

Was on the road all day today, so no more progress.

Tim

BluffBuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BluffBuilder »

Tim, you've got some nice mods there. Will be interesting to see that tunnel in action...anything to keep the lower unit from hitting is good LOL.
GF 16 in progress