Finally getting started on my GF-16

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
timoub007
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by timoub007 »

Thanks Bluff. In reference to my modifications, there are a few doubters, but we'll see.

I'll be interested to hear what kind of speed you get out of your hull too. Larry is about flying at 43 MPH with a new 25 Merc 2 stroke. What engine are you planning on hanging?

Tim

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Bluff's going shrimping with me this weekend and get a first hand impression of the 25 Merc:lol:

timoub007
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by timoub007 »

Well Bluff & Larry, how was the shrimpin'? Did Bluff confirm you super speeds?

I've been busy, but pictures wouldn't show much until this evening. I've got all the interior glass layed with the exception of the large piece between the mid-seat and bow frame. I've saved the largest/hardest for last.

This evening a buddy of mine brought me some foam and we had some fun. I let him do the mixing as he's done this before and we got a little too much in.

I'll trim it so that there is about 3" left in the bottom of the 4 compartments. I don't know how much this will be, but probably not enough for completely positive floatation. This was basically the only "dead" area in my design. I've got some up in the bow compartment too that I might section out for more foam, undecided now though.

Looks like I'll be working through Rita this weekend. Hope 100% humidity won't hurt me any more than the 99% w/ 95-100 degree heat we've had lately.

Tim

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Well Bluff & Larry, how was the shrimpin'? Did Bluff confirm you super speeds?
Shrimping started good, we were both casting from the GF 16 at the same time and found it to be very stable. Neither of us fell out the boat.

We caught about half a limit and a big thunderstorm rolled in. Heavy rain and wind for an hour or so. The freshwater in the creek made the shrimp run for saltier water. We kept at it through the storm but didn't catch many more. Drank a few beers.

I don't call 40 super speed, but I'll let Matt speak for himself as to performance.

Your boat looks good, but you need to do something about that hole in the bottom :doh:

timoub007
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by timoub007 »

Sounds like you guys had a good trip. What is a limit on shrimp in your area?

Yeah, that big hole won't help this sucker float, will it? I don't think I'll get it filled this weekend, but I am steadily plugging away at it.

I'll keep you all posted...

Rita, go away!

Tim

Lackofdistinction
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Lackofdistinction »

There is no limit. Thats until you run into "The Man"

Right Cracker Larry?

P.s. Do you do much Deep Water Casting?
I always thought it was to much work I love easing up a creek, never no whether it will be a net full of Mullet or Scrimps! 8)

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

I miss Fall in the Low Country :cry: That is, of course, until I catch a snook :D

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Shine, you're right, nothing like fall in the low country :!: Once it becomes winter I'm heading back to Belize for a few months. We didn't get a snook (of course) but Matt did catch a big ugly toothy alligator gar. He wasn't mean though. And a bunch of mullet.

If you're coming up to HHI anytime soon, let me know and I'll get your feet back in the mud :D Might get you to bring me some plywood, too.

LOD, running across the man has become a lot more frequent than it used to be. You can still catch a big mess on a cold, foggy, rainy Monday night. But on a warm Sunday afternoon best to stick with the limits. And we mostly cast in the shallows until cold weather.

Tim, 48 quarts with heads or 29 quarts headed, in South Carolina.

Lackofdistinction
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Lackofdistinction »

I do most of my fishing and shrimping around McIntosh County.
Things are pretty lax down there, except during a major holiday.
JULY 4th, labor day Forget it!

BluffBuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BluffBuilder »

Hey Tim,
I haven't been following the board lately..."Trying" to paint. We've got a 1996 Evinrude 15" shaft 15 Hp to use that's just laying around. It should top out around 25mph according to the plans. Larry's boat turned out great. No gps #s but it runs nicely and the 25 is a good match. It can get up shallow in any creek you want. Larry's Merc is nice because it has shifting in the grip so you could use an extension if needed for weight distribution. I've got my boat set up to run gas or battery in front or midsection. I'll try to get some pics up soon...

I'm going shrimp baiting with my neighbor tonight. "The Man" is all over the place here in stealth mode. They run straight at you full speed like a lunatic and stop at the last second. Kinda scary actually. No room for error in quantity considering the fines. We can fill up the freezer regardless. Just more quality time on the water. :D
GF 16 in progress